"What we'll be learning today,at Beginning of less

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
Sorry About all this Gang....
I Didn't say what I meant very Clear in my 1st poll...

So, We have to start this Poll all Over........Sorry about that...... :(
I Meant to say......
Something like,
"What we'll be learning today,at Beginning of lesson...!!"

OR,  what Wayne suggested.....
"Leave them as they are"

But I find it hard to learn the lessons when Griff doesn't play through whatever it is we're learning, at the beginning of the Lesson.........

I normally don't have time to wait till the end of the lesson to find out how it should sound..........so I find myself just skipping the lesson completely, or having to wade Back through a ton of e-mails to find it........

This isn't meant to be in any way negative, or to start any crap......but maybe to help Griff, help some of us, that don't have the time to sit through a complete lesson, before we hear what we're learning that day

Thanks For your Time......... :)

And I Still Love Ya Griff........ :)

PS..........
If possible...
Please voice your opinions, either way ...............Thanks

Justatele

Blues Newbie
I like them as they are
when we get them this way, I am taught little parts of the example he is going to play
I learn what to listen to and how to play it
I get to practice little parts and then apply them to the end example.

You see I do not feel these lessons are suppose to be so we can play that exact part at the end, what they are is showing us how that part is constructed, and how to play it.
If I learn the small parts I can use them independently elsewhere, If I only learn the song or lick or what ever, that is al I carry away with me. I enjoy learning each part so I can use each part separately. and when I am taught to listen to this and that I hear it in a lot of places and know I already know that.
So I view the example at the end, just that, an example of the lesson, the meat of the lesson is all the parts before it. I like that best.

Chuck

Moderator (One of the Men in Black!)
Staff member
Did not vote, I like either way. Griff's newer lessons/instructions play the piece first, before going into the lesson!

For me, it wasn't a problem to go to the lesson backing track or the Play along video to see where he was taking me and then go back to the lesson.

I believe he also recommended watching the entire course videos first.

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
Sorry CJ I can't get tuned in to what your explaining but RJ's response is pretty much how I treat and enjoy Griff's courses, I savour the bites.  :)

ChazInFlint

They call it the Blues, but I can't stop smiling!
Like any presentation:

[list bull-redarrow][*]Here's what I going to teach you.
[/list][list bull-redarrow][*]Teach in detail.[/list][list bull-redarrow][*]This is what I taught you.
[/list]

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
If what you're saying is, you're not even sure it's a lesson you want to learn until you reach the end and hear it played, I get that.  You don't want to watch a bunch of details only to find out it was all about something you're not interested in playing.

We know the layout of the videos.  If you want to hear the final track first, shuttle the video forward to the end, watch the end, then "replay" for the details if you want them.  Is that a little awkward?  I guess, but it only takes a few seconds.

I think the full-speed example is useful at the end. I guess Griff could put a snippet of the full-speed final example at the beginning, or even dupe the whole thing so its at both the start and the end.  These things are short.

I do agree with RJ.  I haven't learned to play anything at the end of any of the lessons.   :-/ But by listening to all the gory details, I have picked up a lot of concepts I use every day whenever I play whatever it is I play.  Every once in awhile, in an unexpected place, Griff will make a comment or demonstrate something that gives me an "ah-ha".  Can't always judge a book by its cover.

I guess this is a "don't care" for me, but that's not an option.  I voted "leave them."

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
Chuck, I just received a new lesson from Griff, for the BGU Insiders, & it didn't play the lesson 1st..........

Just so everyone knows.....
I've been Buying & Learning from Griff since PTTB (before BGU), SOS, Jam Tracks, Slide, Insiders subscription,  Etc...

Have Damn Near Everything Griff has come out with, & Will Continue to buy & Learn from Griff, probably for the Rest of My Life..........
Sooo.....
...I'm not some Johnny come lately that's whining about not having it his way...........
Jus' So'z Ya'll Know..... :) :)

This is just a request for those of us with little enough time, & try to make the most of what we have...........If ya got plenty time.........Swell... :)

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
So....
If it Dosn't Matter to ya.......
What would be wrong with voting to change em To HELP those of us that need it..........??

We're Students Here TOO....!!

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
So....
What would be wrong with voting to change em To HELP those of us that need it..........??

I suppose you're right there, so I'll change my previous vote since I know it can be helpful to a lot of people to taste the outcome before they decide if they need the recipe.

henryj

Blues Newbie
I think Griff teaches as it should properly be taught.

Although sometimes I do drag the little marker hard-to-starboard to get a taste of the outcome and then drag it back to the beginning to learn how.

Many times I have replayed a section of a video over and over to hear or see exactly what is happening, be it a tricky fingering are subtle sound, before moving on with the lesson.

I would never presume to tell Griff how to teach but I might suggest to others to learn to use the video scroll bar if they feel the need to rearrange the lesson.

Sometimes I get to AHH moment when I see where a lesson is going before it gets there.  Makes me feel like I've learned something.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
Like any presentation:

[/list][list bull-redarrow][*]Teach in detail.[/list][list bull-redarrow][*]This is what I taught you.
[/list]

+1

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
ChazInFlint wrote Today at 4:16pm:
Like any presentatin

Here's what I going to teach you.

Teach in detail.

This is what I taught you.

+One More........That's Exactly What I mean !!

Simple Fix for us, & No big thing for Griff to do.........But It's been brought up to Griff a number of times..........Doesn't change

panther

Blues Newbie
For me a perfect example occurred this morning. A bunch of us got together to jam and practice for an upcoming meeting that we will be playing at. We had never played together as a group and the organizer was attempting to show us on a board the chords and  parts for 1st Guitar, 2nd Guitar, and 3rd Guitar. After about an hour of not getting it, I said; "Just play what you want me to play." I had it down in 5 minutes, and we got together as a group rather quickly. I catch on much sooner if you show me what you want instead of trying to tell me.
Showing me first makes the explaination much easier to understand.
Dan

Cyberthrasher_706

Blues Newbie
Anybody who thinks that Griff shouldn't change HIS teaching style needs to realize how many times he's made adjustments in the past to help us learn better. It's a valid question that could help more people learn, so I say it's worth looking at.

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
So....

My preference (beginning and at the end) isn't even on the ballot. And shuttling around is easy, so people who prefer one or the other can already approach a lesson their way. So it's not a big deal to me.  I have a very slight preference toward leaving it alone, so that's how I voted.

If it's even remotely close, I'm sure Griff will seriously consider people's opinions regardless of who "wins".

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
Dang Marv............Why didn't ya say somethin before I started this thing......I can't think of Everything............er.....anything..... :)

I'm thinking Griff would do it that way anywayzzz........But there i go assumin again.....

at the Beginning.....AND ........End.........That's How it SHOULD BE!!!

CJ_Allan

Blues Newbie
Now if we could just get that "Proven" Method goin' here..........:)

I'd Love it, & Maybe I could stay more focused , & Interested.................

stringbreaker

Blues Newbie
One of my mentors said "it is okay to question the teacher".  I believe Griff is the kind of teacher who will listen and make changes if it benefits the students.  That is the mark of a great teacher.

Personally I like to hear what I am going to learn first...that helps to have the groove in my head.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Like any presentation:

[/list]
Chaz, I apologize!  I did not see your post before I posted mine.  Sounds like we both went to the same school of presentation and you were first to post.  You didn't learn that from a guy named Ed did you?

Since you posted first, I'll not be redundant!