Pentatonic Scale Boxes

K

kimrush

I think I finally got this figured out.   Any comments will be appreciated.

If I begin with box 1 using the A on the 6th string as my root note I should be in the key of A (A minor?).  Then if I want to connect the boxes I would use the following frets/notes:

Box 2:  begins with the C on the 8th fret, 6th string

Box 3:  begins with the D on the 10th fret, 6th string

Box 4:  begins with the E on the 12th fret, 6th string

Box 5:  can begin with the G on the 2nd fret, 6th string or the G on the 15th fret, 6th string

I tabbed the box pattern using notes, frets/strings and fingers.  I attached a copy.  I would appreciate your  comments. 

My goal is to use the attachment to guide me as I connect the boxes so that I can learn ho to cover the entire neck.  I think I can extend the boxes by playing the 4th box in the open position and box 1 at the 17th fret. 

I just ordered Griff's new scale course.  But what I really want is a course/program that emphasizes connecting the boxes with melodic patterns that go up and down the neck.  Is anyone aware of that kind of course/program?

K

kimrush

oops - the attachment was too large so it was "screened out".

I can send it to you if you are interested.

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
You might find this site very helpful.

http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/guitar_scales.php?qqq=FULL&scch=A&scchnam=Pentatonic+Minor&get2=Get&t=0&choice=1

L

Lame_Pinkey

If I begin with box 1 using the A on the 6th string as my root note I should be in the key of A (A minor?).  Then if I want to connect the boxes I would use the following frets/notes:

Box 5:  [glow=yellow,2,300]can begin with the G on the 2nd fret, 6th string or the G on the 15th fret, 6th string[/glow]I tabbed the box pattern using notes, frets/strings and fingers.  I attached a copy.  I would appreciate your  comments. 

My goal is to use the attachment to guide me as I connect the boxes so that I can learn ho to cover the entire neck.  I think I can extend the boxes by playing the 4th box in the open position and box 1 at the 17th fret. 

I just ordered Griff's new scale course.  But what I really want is a course/program that emphasizes connecting the boxes with melodic patterns that go up and down the neck.  Is anyone aware of that kind of course/program?
All good except for box 5 which starts on 3rd or 15th fret  ;)

LP  -  I know it was just a typo !

giayank

Just another day in paradise
Kim I downloaded this from the forum you can find it under "music and guitar learning,Griff's extras ,Major and minor."I use it all the time .shows root notes of both scales by the string the root note is on.A side by side comparison and the indivual scales of the pentatonic major and minor.Ck it out. You can download it as a pdf file and have for future reference.
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/pdf/major-minor-blues-boxes.pdf

wgabree

Blues Newbie
LP  -  I know it was just a typo !

It's amazing how no matter how many times you type this stuff out, typos show up to the party  ;D

I know I make them everytime.  Then I either find them myself and edit the post or someone like LP jumps in and offers a correction. :)

This is good stuff - it's good to be able to try to articulate these music concepts because it helps them to really take root.

If you don't understand this stuff fully, don't worry.  Just keep reading and more importantly, playing - it eventually starts to seep in and make sense.

:cool:

K

kimrush

Thanx to everyone - hopefully more will reply.

Stratogeezer:  The neck image you posted is exactly what I tabbed out except  I stopped at the 15th fret and box 4.  I have access to the scales in several forms with and without tabs.  The reason I tabbed it was to go thru the exercise.  I wanted to reinforce my knowledge and doing the tabs served that purpose.

And yes, it was a typo!!

That said, does anyone know about a course? 

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Pentatonic Power by Bob Murnahan is certainly one to take a look at.

http://www.onlineguitarschools.com/pentatonic-power-review.htm

Griff has a Pentatonic Course but I don't have it.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
The scales are presented in Griff's BGU course, but since no one really gets hot over practicing scales, he doesn't really dwell on it. He presents them and tells you to learn them over time, but continue with the fun stuff.

Blues_Man

Blues Newbie

Box 5:  can begin with the G on the 2nd fret, 6th string or the G on the 15th fret, 6th string

I tabbed the box pattern using notes, frets/strings and fingers.  I attached a copy.  I would appreciate your  comments. 

kimrush my only comment would be to switch your thinking/guitarmind/eye to the ROOTs in each box instead of focus only the 6th string, try 1st learning the roots on the 1,2,3 strings for each box, because thats we're we'll be playing lead most of the times, after that the 4,5,6 strings kinda fill themselves in on their own
cheers

jporzelius

Blues Junior
Blues Man,

I really like this idea.  I've been working on the boxes from BGU and slowly leaning the notes on the fretboard from the exercise on SWS.  But I really like the idea of focusing on the root note in each box since you want to resolve solo riffs on that note.  I will try this tonight.  Thanks for the tip.

jahmer [smiley=beer.gif]

Justatele

Blues Newbie
what broke me out of the box (pun intended) was to cut the box down from 2 octaves plus to just one octave, then to learn to play it off of any root note on the fretboard. I learned to play it on 3 strings, 2 strings, or 1 string.
Soon I found I had the ability to travel the entire fretboard when necessary as wherever I was, I was not trying to do a box, but just a scale I knew forward or backward up the string or on other strings