Picking Style

L

LonnieGuthrie

I have a question for you more experienced players. Which is the most efficient and or easiest style of picking to learn. Flat pick and using fingers, Fingers only, or fingers using thumb pick and  or possibly finger picks?  My former playing steel makes me comfortable with thumb and finger pics but does not necessarily transfer to straight guitar. I play some with just fingers but I don't understand how you get the sound that say a Mark Knopfler does. I find the hardest to be fast at is pick and finger combination. I'm kind of used to using my first first and second finger when finger picking but not my second and third fingers. I want to pick one style and concentrate at getting good with that one style. I hope this question is understandable. What do you all think?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Tough question. If you are good with finger picks, I envy you. I'm pretty much a flat pick guy, and I'm trying to learn to hybrid pick. In the end it really depends on the style of blues that you want to play. If you want to play electric blues, then I'd guess finger picks are out (or at least an unusual choice). Getting fast without picks at all would be a major up hill battle for me. It just depends on where you are right now.

wgabree

Blues Newbie
On the other hand, Muddy Waters, Hubert Sumlin, Albert King, Freddy King & Albert Collins all played with thumb and fingers (some with thumb and finger picks, some without) - all electric bluesman...and the inspiration for my learning to play with thumb and fingers.

At the end of the day, you can do it any way you want.  I always like to have options since I play other styles besides early electric blues, so I recommend learning both finger picking and flatpicking.  Chuck Berry, for instance, is rather difficult without a flatpick!

:cool:

kgarkie

Been living the blues.
I either finger pick with bare fingers and thumb for the bass using the tips of my fingers/thumb or use a flat pick.  I'm not coordinated enough to hybrid pick.  The first song I learned to finger pick was CSN's "Helplessly Hoping" which has a cool pattern.  When finger picking, it's usually on the Martin and I have a few books with some finger picking Beatle and Paul Simon songs.  I did learn "Stairway to Heaven" and finger picked it up to the solo which I attempted to flat pick on the LP but it's been years since I played it. 

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Freddie King used thumb and finger picks.
Hubert Sumlin used a flat pick and Wolf told him to go home and come back when he got the tone from his fingers only.
According to Hubert he never used a pick again.

I started learning guitar using my thumb only...I just kept forgetting to grab a pick..then started incorporating my finger but try to practice with a pick every so often to get familiar with it.

I'd say go with whatever you want and is most comfortable for you.
For me fingerpicking with the alternating bass is very difficult and I marvel at those that have the coordination to do that style.

Jon3b

Blues Newbie
I'm a flat pick person. It's what I'm most used to. You, already comfortable with finger picks, really don't need to change that. Take on flat picking if it suits you, but as I see it you're ahead of the game already. After 30 years of picks, trying to learn Travis-picking is quite the challenge for me.

L

LonnieGuthrie

I have found though I'm very comfortable with picks on the steel it's not the same on straight guitar. You do not strum a steel like a guitar and its just a completely different feel. I think my preference would be as you all have called it hybrid picking using a flat pick. I've have always flat picked when playing straight guitar for rhythm in the band but when I start trying to use my fingers I get all screwed up wanting to revert back to thumb, first, and second finger like on steel instead of pick second and third finger. In that sense my finger picking might all most be a handicap. I think the best sound comes from hybrid picking thought I really like Knopflers sound. I guess if I'm going to have to work hard at learning a new style I just want to pick the one that will in the end serve me best. Thanks for all your replies I wish I could get Griff to chime in on this.

giayank

Just another day in paradise
I would suggest that the style of music you want to play would be the deciding point .Not gonna play jorma with a flat pick.Not gonna play Paige without one.J>J>Cale and derreck trucks use thumb and fingers. Knofler thumbs and finger picks.All are great all have strengths and limitations.Doc watson flat picked a lot of his tunes Only one I can think of who played that style that fast and flat picked.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdUrg2Cqxdw

L

Lame_Pinkey

Flat Pick, Power Chords, Distortion and Steel Capped Boots  -  'nuff said !

LP   ;)

gpower

Blues Junior
Whatever the song calls for...! I mostly flat pick but, also use hybrid and finger picking depending on what I'm trying to play.

KevenKanten

Blues Newbie
I keep trying both approaches with a pick and just fingers and I am finding I like using my fingers more. I can pick a pattern with all fingers much faster than keeping a pick going. And sometimes when I screw up, a new pattern will emerge. And I am growing out and sanding my nails to thicken them so they will natural picks. Will airport security count them as a sharp potential weapons being brought on a plane?

Besides, I'm developing a flicking strum style pattern that only works with multiple fingers. I expect when I video tape something that will become apparent. Another thing in trying to develop a unique and different playing style to set myself apart from the pack.

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
finger picks are easier get used to thank you think, a thumb pick about the same. as the guys said, whatever you feel is "your thing," just follow what you feel is who you are. i used to think i couldn't play without finger picks, but now i like a straight pick, except when it goes "flyin'"