Page # 42 ... BBG

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
   On page 42 of BBG it states : "This is a topic that would be nearly impossible to cover in a book, but when you see it on video it's not that difficult at all" ...
   Problem is : it is difficult for me ... so much so I have just quit on anything with them and moved to SWS ...
   Any one of you music magicians have any input besides practice ? ... you have to make an audible sound before you can get better with practice ... I can't get a sound when I try the G Major Barre for example ... the first 3 strings don't even make anything but a thud ...
   If there are no techniques I can discover to overcome this I'm afraid my goal to learn to play Blues Guitar Unleashed is as unlikely as my goal to become a Zillionaire ... leading to a half priced sale on Ebay for a brand new BGU course  ...
   Any and all suggestions are appreciated ... I've been dealing with it to the point it's no fun anymore ...  :cool:

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
Try rolling your index finger towards the headstock..also try moving your index finger a bit more towards you (your fingertip more off the fretboard.) and try to keep your other fingers perpendicular to the fretboard.

Steve G

St. Simons Island, GA
Also,  practice the barre with just your index finger, & try to get every string to ring out.  Do it up & down the neck.  It'll help build strength.  Another thing is to really cup the wrist below the neck.  It'll bring more strength to bear on the fretboard.  You can also try raising the neck more toward your left shoulder if you're not already doing that.

Steve_M

Blues Newbie
Hi AB.....I was in the same position a few weeks ago. Not only couldnt I get the notes to ring clear but my left wrist really ached after about 5 mins. Gradually things improved using all the tips that are written above ( also try keeping your right elbow tucked into your waist - assuming you are fretting with your left hand).
I am now fairly fluent with all the barres - except the 5th string which will take longer and no aches in the wrist at all.

Cheers

Steve

henryj

Blues Newbie
I couldn't do it either.  Never did master the barr cords so after a few weeks I got frustrated and just moved on.  Figured I take a break from barr cords and go back to work on them later.

I've never had to go back, some where along the way in there I became able to do them.  They're a piece of cake now. 

Try taking a break from the bar cords to let your muscles recover.  Work on something else for a while.

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Try rolling your index finger towards the headstock..also try moving your index finger a bit more towards you (your fingertip more off the fretboard.) and try to keep your other fingers perpendicular to the fretboard.
Thanks Strato :) ,
   If I am reading you correctly when you say "your fingertip more off the fret board",  you are saying to extend your index fingertip past the fretboard a bit , is that correct ? ... I just tried that and it sounds much better than before ...
   That may be the secret I needed, along with twisting toward the headstock ... I tried the twist thing trying to press with my finger like on a button but that did not work ... now that I get a somewhat musical sound out of that I can work on making my fingers stretch to form the major, minor, 7th. etc. ...
   Thanks Brah [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ... you just gave me a glimmer of hope with these chords ... seriously, that one tip has changed things for the better ... Much appreciated  :cool:

Alexander Blue

Surfers Rule !!!
Great !!!
   The photo confirmed it ... Thanks man  :) :) :)
                      Thanks to all you guys ... I really needed this stuff immediately ... I was freakin' and gettin' real discouraged ... much more of a positive outlook now ...  :)

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie
You'll get them..most everyone struggles with the barres at first.
I stumbled across what finally worked for me..I had to hang my index over the board to get my other fingers to work right..then it just fell into place.

D

devere_woods@yahoo.com

Hang in there Alexander. It will come. Work on your technique and continue to practice. For over a year, I said I could never play barre cords. Practicing them only left me with cuts on my index finger and little improvement. Eventually my hand strength and technique improve and they are not the challenge they once were. You can do it too. Don't let them beat you. [smiley=beer.gif]

560sdl

Blues Newbie
I stumbled across what finally worked for me..I had to hang my index over the board to get my other fingers to work right..then it just fell into place.

You know Strato, I do the same thing but I wonder if it ends up being a bad habit?  Do you keep your finger that extended when you play the 5 string barre chords?  I do, but notice that most "good" players do not extend that far.

stratogeezer

Blues Newbie

You know Strato, I do the same thing but I wonder if it ends up being a bad habit?  Do you keep your finger that extended when you play the 5 string barre chords?  I do, but notice that most "good" players do not extend that far.
As I've gotten better at barres I don't need to extend it quite that far to keep my other fingers hitting the fretboard right but that's pretty much the way I still do the sixth string barres and I do need to pull it back a little for the 5th string barres because I use my ring finger bent backwards to get the major 5th string chords.
I have big hands so that might have something to do with it as well.

R

RayL

If everyone had hands like Strato, it would be a lot easier. When you have small hands and your fingers are, at least 25% shorter you may be able to create the bar with your index finger, but forming the chord is almost impossible. I haven't given up yet, but I'm close to it.

Ray

L

Lame_Pinkey

Slightly smaller hands/fingers than Strato this is front  on B7 you can see i do not roll my finger as much as Strato - but have much less finger to roll  ;D

LP

L

Lame_Pinkey

This is from an angle as previous pic looks like I'm covering or right on top of fret wire, I am behind it B Major here.
Another thing to consider A.B. is with your barre you do not have to have full pressure on all of the strings with it - remembering you have other fingers on those strings, so you only need to have enough pressure on the strings to sound that aren't covered by the other fingers  - make sense I hope so 'cause I ain't repeating it , my head hurts  :(
Also may need to go visit LP's Guide to Barre Chords  ;) ( stickied somewhere in BBG section.

LP

560sdl

Blues Newbie
Does anyone else believe that we are seeing regular photos and teaching tips from LP?  And to think, a few months ago, we were not sure if he even existed ;) ;D ;D

SunnyOne

Blues Newbie
Does anyone else believe that we are seeing regular photos and teaching tips from LP?  And to think, a few months ago, we were not sure if he even existed ;) ;D ;D

perhaps he is mellowing in his old age  ;)   
when i first joined he used Will Smith's cartoon face.
I think it's wonderful that he is finally letting us see the real him! AND! I must say he has generally been a great help, esp. with the barre chords....so thanks LP, and Strato too.
I have "mini-fiingers," so it is tougher to do the barre chords but i'm managing to do them...when I get down to the 10th fret is when I have TROUBLE!