Round 1 Down!

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
Hey Guys... got through round 1 okay in Murrieta tonight. I'll be back on the 5th of June.

Got a clip on video so check it out if you'd like:
http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/battle-of-the-blues-round-1-winner/

A few guys made it out tonight, thank you. I was surprised as Murrieta is a little out of the way, so I really do appreciate it.

Griff

falconer

Blues Newbie
Griff, that was great!  Wish I could have been there.  Couldn't stop tapping my whole foot to that one.  Congrats on Round 1!   :)

wgabree

Blues Newbie
Way to go Griff!  So are we all going with the that track?

"Austin Skyline Shuffle"

?  I'm game!  Next Tuesday I'm up!

:cool:

sloslunas

NM Blues
Great stuff Griff...carry on!

PS. Uh...you won't need to tab that out on my account...I was dizzy after the first 8 bars.

Spencer

Blues Newbie
NIce! Thanks for the vid.  [smiley=beer.gif]

What an unbelievable performance!! I haven't been able to attend either of the BGU Live events, and I've never seen you play an actual show, but out of the tons of youtube performances I have seen, I've never seen this unbridled passion that just seemed to seep out of you like it did there. I've always seen you play very technically perfect, but man... As the kids in my neighborhood say, "you were straight up ballin' there!" That was some street playin!! Keep it up man. What a joy to see!  :cool:

GuitarGeorge

Blues Newbie
Great performance Griff, you would have kicked butt in Vegas as well, easy clear winner if you were here.  And thats what the judges like a great performance, not necessarily technical skills though you demonstrated that is well.  Great Job.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
Man, Griff really ripped it up!  For those who weren't at BGU Live, when the concert video's available, you'll see even more of that level of playing.

I was at the Lake Forest, CA store and while a few were pretty good, I didn't see any competition for Griff future rounds.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I pity your competition...  Your performance was interesting all the way through. It flowed.  You made it look extremely easy and most of all, you looked like you were having fun and enjoying the moment.

There are a number of videos from some of the other stores up on YouTube.  There are some technically excellent guitarists in the competition.  If I had to do a general critique on some of the other videos I saw, it would be that a number of them lacked continuity and seemed to be reeling off their encyclopedia of licks, without much thought as to how it all fit together.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking anyone who got up there and did it.  They all have a higher cajone factor than I have and I would have applauded every performance I saw.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
If I had to do a general critique on some of the other videos I saw, it would be that a number of them lacked continuity and seemed to be reeling off their encyclopedia of licks, without much thought as to how it all fit together.

Good point Lloyd.  That's what I thought most of the players I saw last night were like as well.  Griff's solo builds quite nicely as it goes along.  Starting from "Maybe I could play that", to "OK, that's 'way beyond me" and eventually to "Oh my God!"   :)

Thatman

Playin' for the fun of it.
WOW, just seen your vid Griff and it was absolutely stunning, how thrilled am I to have you as my guitar teacher. Good luck with the next stage but youv'e already won for me.  [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

C

cacwarkitty

Set em up... knock em down... cheers  [smiley=beer.gif]

Marv

I play 'err' guitar.
Very cool, Griff! 

The others already covered your guitar playing, so I can only echo their sentiments. 

I also thought you had great grimacing and a cool cheering section every once in awhile too.  ;)

From what I've seen of winners the last couple of years, the judges sometimes go for the act more than the music.  You covered it all this time.  [smiley=beer.gif] [smiley=beer.gif]

GuitarGeorge

Blues Newbie
I'll go on record right now that if Griff makes it to the finals I am taking time off and heading down to hollywood to be there and root for him!