OK, I can't stand it any more ...

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
RR; My Grandson TODD works at Sweetwater, Ft, Wayne, Indiana...he's been there for about6 yrs......(in other words I GOT A CONNECTION..) if they got A floor model available
then I get A real-real connection.... ;) ;) ;)

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
RR; My Grandson TODD works at Sweetwater, Ft, Wayne, Indiana...he's been there for about6 yrs......(in other words I GOT A CONNECTION..) if they got A floor model available
then I get A real-real connection.... ;) ;) ;)
Well, let's hope you get a real real real connection!  I'd love to see you have one of these critters 'cause they play so NICE!

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, I took the day off.  I have the Shaller locking tuners and the Graph Tech saddles installed.  And the Dirty Torque bridge pickup was just delivered by USPS today and I have those mounted, but not hooked up yet.  I was impressed when I opened up the control cavity.  Extremely tidy wiring, top quality pots and switch, and everything well shielded in thick black shielding paint ... even the insides of the coil cavities are shielded as is the back of the cavity cover in foil.  The new black rings and nickel pickups and black knobs and switch tip give it a WHOLE NEW LOOK!  I am LOVIN' the new look!  Now let's hope I don't pull a stupid or two when I wire up the switch, pots and pull-ups!

Gunrunner

Blues and Bird Dogs
Wow, that axe is beyond stunning... And so happy to hear that such a persnickety fellow like you (and that is intended as a compliment, I always take your posts to heart :)) is delighted with his latest treasure... How many among us would order new PUP's for a brand new guitar they had not yet even played?? Now dat right dere is persnickety, Brother ;D! Congrats from NY, Mike

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Wow, that axe is beyond stunning... And so happy to hear that such a persnickety fellow like you (and that is intended as a compliment, I always take your posts to heart :)) is delighted with his latest treasure... How many among us would order new PUP's for a brand new guitar they had not yet even played?? Now dat right dere is persnickety, Brother ;D! Congrats from NY, Mike
I ordered the pickups before I even ordered the guitar!  But I had played PRS SE Custom 24's before ... three or four times ... in music stores, and knew what the pickups were like.  Also, I did play it here at home through my own rig before doing the swap.  How else could I come up with a "before" jam track to post?  I played it for nearly a week before actually starting the swap.  And I played it once in the VJR!

eastcoastguy

Blues Newbie
Congrats RR . That is a sweet build . Killer looking finish . Must be a beauty in your hands . Look forward to hearing how your swap outs sound

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, bad news.  Got it all wired up, plugged it in, and HUMMMMMMM.  I've got something all buggered up, but have no idea what.  Obviously something isn't grounded or something is shorted out.

I've ordered two more fresh pull-up pots and another 4-way switch, and will start all over again when they get here.  Not about to go the de-solder route.

Bummers happen, and this is a BUMMER!  Next time around I'm going to test each component as I go as I usually do.  Don't know why I didn't do that this time.  Guess I was in a hurry.

And please, everybody, let's NOT get into a long thread trying to diagnose my problem!!!!  I will figure it out.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
OK, so color me a DUMB SH*T!
In a fit of accute FRUSTRATION, I clipped all the wires to everything and pulled the pots and switch out.
Then I thought, why not test each PICKUP by simply wiring them direct to the wires from the jack, and at least make sure the pickups themselves are fine.
I did.  And HUMMMMMM.
So I reversed the wires.  Cool everything fine.
WTF, Over?
So I removed the jack.  Shure as hell, I had soldered a red lead wire to the jack GROUND and a black lead wire to the the jack TIP.  Just back-ass-wards. 
So my rather complex wiring job was probably just fine and all I would have had to have done was swap the wires at the jack!

DUMB!  DUMB! DUMB!  STUPID DUMB!
I deserve to be forced to sit through a solid week of Scott Grove lectures!

But now that I've already clipped all the wires to everything and would have to de-solder every freaking lug on the pots and switch, I'm just going to wait for the new ones to get here and do it all over again.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Well, bad news.  Got it all wired up, plugged it in, and HUMMMMMMM.  I've got something all buggered up, but have no idea what.  Obviously something isn't grounded or something is shorted out.

I've ordered two more fresh pull-up pots and another 4-way switch, and will start all over again when they get here.  Not about to go the de-solder route.

Bummers happen, and this is a BUMMER!  [glow=yellow,2,300]Next time around I'm going to test each component as I go as I usually do.  Don't know why I didn't do that this time.[/glow]  Guess I was in a hurry.

And please, everybody, let's NOT get into a long thread trying to diagnose my problem!!!!  I will figure it out.
Did you break down and buy a multimeter and figure out how to use it? I remember you posting awhile back that you have no need for a multimeter. Just curious how you test components.  :-?

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
That would require a lot of soldering and de soldering. In the trades we referred to that as a parts changer. Not the most efficient way to do things.  :-/

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
"I deserve to be forced to sit through a solid week of Scott Grove lectures!"

Hilarious! A fitting punishment.   ;D

Stewart_C

Blues Newbie
Most of us who do "tech'y" things have made some fundamental error like that at some time and think "How the heck did I manage to do THAT ?"  :eek:

We kick ourselves but then are usually just relieved to have found the solution  :cool: - provided, of course, that we haven't caused any expensive damage by our "schoolboy" blunder.