Tascam DR-22

TonyS

Blues Newbie
Has anybody used the Tascam DR-22?  How long can you record for?  What file type does it create?  How close do you have to be to the unit for it to pick up an acoustic guitar?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
I had another model...  don't remember which one but it only lasted a year or two..  However, that said it did have a very nice sound quality for such a small device and it was very easy to use..  Just laid it next to me on the couch and it recorded my acoustic stuff very nicely... I'm considering another one down the line... My sweetwater guy was pushing the Zoom for a replacement but I already have the Tascam charger... So I'm not sure yet??   from what i recall you had multiple output format options... I would check out their website... Good luck!          

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I had another model...  don't remember which one but it only lasted a year or two..  However, that said it did have a very nice sound quality for such a small device and it was very easy to use..  Just laid it next to me on the couch and it recorded my acoustic stuff very nicely... I'm considering another one down the line... My sweetwater guy was pushing the Zoom for a replacement but I already have the Tascam charger... So I'm not sure yet??   from what i recall you had multiple output format options... I would check out their website... Good luck!          
Cheers.

I had a Zoom H1 on my list to look at but it was only slightly cheaper in price but looked a lot cheaper in quality.  That said I have not had hold of either recorder so I shouldn't make a presumption I guess.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
You might want to consider Olympus as an option. I have the LS-20M PCM recorder, which also has a built in HD camera and some really nice features (e.g. external mic input, lots of file resolution options). Most of the Olympus recorders are a little pricey but the LS-20M was discontinued last year and the price plummeted to around $!00.  I have used it for the last couple OC jams, and the sound quality is incredibly good  with outstanding video. 

http://www.amazon.com/OLYMPUS-LinearPCM-ICRecorder-LS-20M-hi-vision/dp/B0052UWXPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048618&sr=8-1&keywords=ls-20m

TonyS

Blues Newbie
You might want to consider Olympus as an option. I have the LS-20M PCM recorder, which also has a built in HD camera and some really nice features (e.g. external mic input, lots of file resolution options). Most of the Olympus recorders are a little pricey but the LS-20M was discontinued last year and the price plummeted to around $!00.  I have used it for the last couple OC jams, and the sound quality is incredibly good  with outstanding video. 

http://www.amazon.com/OLYMPUS-LinearPCM-ICRecorder-LS-20M-hi-vision/dp/B0052UWXPS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432048618&sr=8-1&keywords=ls-20m
Thanks Elio I will check it out.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I've finally gone for the Zoom H1.  It has less features but it has the features I will use and from the sound quality comparison videos I have seen the Zoom seems to be just that bit clearer and brighter.  It also seems to handle loud amplified music a shade better too.  Thanks to those people who responded.  All your comments were very much appreciated.

jackderby52

I've finally gone for the Zoom H1.  It has less features but it has the features I will use and from the sound quality comparison videos I have seen the Zoom seems to be just that bit clearer and brighter.  It also seems to handle loud amplified music a shade better too.  Thanks to those people who responded.  All your comments were very much appreciated.

Tony, does it come with a charger??

TonyS

Blues Newbie

No it doesn't come with a charger but you can pick one up for less than £8.  It runs on 1 AA battery which is said to last for over 10 hours of continuous recording, which is fine for what I have in mind for it.

jackderby52

No it doesn't come with a charger but you can pick one up for less than £8.  It runs on 1 AA battery which is said to last for over 10 hours of continuous recording, which is fine for what I have in mind for it.

cool.. Thanks for the info... Let me know how you like it once you get to play with it a bit...

TonyS

Blues Newbie

cool.. Thanks for the info... Let me know how you like it once you get to play with it a bit...
Will do.  I should be having a good play with it over the weekend so I'll let you know.

TonyS

Blues Newbie

It also comes with a copy of Cubase LE 7 for free.  So far the Zoom has proven extremely easy to use and the sound quality is astonishing for such a small unit.

TonyS

Blues Newbie
I did a very quick recording of a small section of a classical guitar piece that I'm currently working on just so you can hear the quality of the recording using the Zoom H1.  It's recorded in .mp3 format but would be even better quality if recorded using .wav format.  The input level is set at 60% and the Zoom was sat on a cup on a table approximately 2 feet away from the guitar.

https://www.4shared.com/mp3/zNIdEuVZba/Romanza_22052015_mp3.html

jackderby52

I did a very quick recording of a small section of a classical guitar piece that I'm currently working on just so you can hear the quality of the recording using the Zoom H1.  It's recorded in .mp3 format but would be even better quality if recorded using .wav format.  The input level is set at 60% and the Zoom was sat on a cup on a table approximately 2 feet away from the guitar.

https://www.4shared.com/mp3/zNIdEuVZba/Romanza_22052015_mp3.html

Nice playing!!  and it sounds great...   Looks like I'll be getting one soon myself... Thanks!!