Where to next with Slide Guitar

nezrobiso

Blues Newbie
I am working through Acoustic Delta Blues and loving it. I can see myself getting to the end in a month or two - where should I go from there to carry on with Slide Guitar? Anyone know if Griff has plans for any more advanced courses on this, or know of any other resources out there worth picking up? :-?

piebaldpython

Blues Junior
Well......you can move on to Griff's other SLIDE DVD which is basically Slide using SWS.

A couple of questions....do you want to stay with Acoustic or move into Electric?

What tuning do you want to do more work in?  Open D/E?  Open G/A?  Standard?

Which genre/slide hero do you want to "study"?

There's lots of slide DVDs out there.  Give me an idea of what you want to do and maybe I can advise you.

That said.......David Hamburger has an excellent Slide DVD series out on Truefire.com.  I believe he stays in Open E and fingerpicks.  He goes through 10 different rhythms and corresponding slide leads.  Good camera work...moves slowly with good explanations.  Nearly 4 hours.

http://truefire.com/blues-guitar-lessons/blues-slide-shop/

nezrobiso

Blues Newbie
I have an acoustic and a semi acoustic at the moment, though I am thinking of looking into a resonator (GAS creeping in!!).

As I am fairly new to all this I am happy to explore different tunings and see which grabs me - try anything once as my ol' gran used to tell me ('cept for incest and Morris Dancing she would add!).

Came across Bob Brozman the other day and was suitably impressed - something to aim for! Love the Ry Cooder stuff. And, of course, mustn't forget Mississippi Fred McDowell.

Is there much duplication on Griff's two slide courses?

I'll have a look at David Hamburger - I haven't heard of him before but sounds good, thanks.

vIndaloo 2

Blues Newbie
I am working through Acoustic Delta Blues and loving it. I can see myself getting to the end in a month or two - where should I go from there to carry on with Slide Guitar? Anyone know if Griff has plans for any more advanced courses on this, or know of any other resources out there worth picking up? :-?

vIndaloo 2

Blues Newbie
Learning

vIndaloo 2

Blues Newbie
Learningguitarnow is the best site for slide in my opinion. John is endorsed by Gibson.He covers string damping in detail which is crucial for lead playing. He has downloads for open g e and standard tuning. If you like Duane,Derek or Haynes he has it

tomtt2

Blues Newbie
Great post and responses! Thanks to all the contributors.
I'm working through the Acoustic Slide course and had the same question "Where to from here?"
The leads you've supplied are very helpful. Thanks again.