MikeS FIXIT Submission for January 31, 2023 Session

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Wow Mike, great job. There's a lot going on there so I could see how timing would be challenging, but I though it sounded great.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Thanks Elio.
Problem is, I've been playing a version of that for years and I still can't get it just right. If I slow the song down by 10-15%, I cna play it just fine, but years of practice just haven't seemed to help.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks Elio.
Problem is, I've been playing a version of that for years and I still can't get it just right. If I slow the song down by 10-15%, I cna play it just fine, but years of practice just haven't seemed to help.
I have a couple songs that are like that as well. Have you tried Griff's technique of speeding it up to a faster tempo and then slowing it down to normal?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have a couple songs that are like that as well. Have you tried Griff's technique of speeding it up to a faster tempo and then slowing it down to normal?
Yep. I know he always says to do that and count. I've done both (more the first than the second) and for whatever reason my fingers just don't want to keep up.
I try coaxing them, yelling at them, spanking them. Nothing seems to work.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yep. I know he always says to do that and count. I've done both (more the first than the second) and for whatever reason my fingers just don't want to keep up.
I try coaxing them, yelling at them, spanking them. Nothing seems to work.
I figured you probably had :cool: The intro to Sweet Home Chicago does that to me. It's not particularly difficult to play, but I can just never seem to do it at full speed. The only thing that worked was to take it up to about 110% speed, work at it for a a few days, and then bringing it back down to 100%. I got a handle on it for when I needed it, but the next time I tried, it was back to being a struggle.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I figured you probably had :cool: The intro to Sweet Home Chicago does that to me. It's not particularly difficult to play, but I can just never seem to do it at full speed. The only thing that worked was to take it up to about 110% speed, work at it for a a few days, and then bringing it back down to 100%. I got a handle on it for when I needed it, but the next time I tried, it was back to being a struggle.
Not being Griff sucks sometimes.