Please don't start with christmas song lessons in October!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Ok, this might be an unpopular post but I'm OK with that.

The last webinar it was suggested to start with the christmas song lessons next year in October. Frankly, I don't "do" christmas. I haven't participated for about 34 years now. I don't judge those that do and don't appreciate those in my face that judge me for not. I won't go into details as that would be TMI. I'm here to learn and play the Blues. You might say for good reason? Every December in the AAP webinars for me is an entire month to skip. So I'm paying for 12 months and getting 11. I'd rather not spend the entire month of December studying christmas songs in the webinars but I've accepted long before I started with BGU that I am the only person that has no interest in the event in general. I wouldn't say anything now except starting all of this in October really bothers and offends me.

I should point out that this year on the agenda is a BB King song. I assume a Blues Christmas song? If it's Blues than it should fit into the BGU lexicon. I'm Ok with that but I still wouldn't want to start it in October. I have to admit that as an adult the only christmas song that slightly had me interested in learning is Don Henley's “Please Come Home for Christmas.” There might be others I've not heard but it's an event I avoid so why would I want to learn a song about it?

I might see you all on Dec 28th If I've got a fix-it submittal.

Have a great December! I will! :Beer:

Jack

Blues Junior
I'm pretty sure he was just kidding about starting in October lol. It's a BB King song and I think he said it has 3 solos, and it's a fairly typical blues song - it's not like he's playing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" or something.

The way I look at it, Griff covers a lot of different songs and of course some interest me more than others, but the technical analysis of the chord progression and what scales can be used to solo over it are always educational.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I'm pretty sure he was just kidding about starting in October lol. It's a BB King song and I think he said it has 3 solos, and it's a fairly typical blues song - it's not like he's playing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" or something.

The way I look at it, Griff covers a lot of different songs and of course some interest me more than others, but the technical analysis of the chord progression and what scales can be used to solo over it are always educational.
hopefully. and yes. :Beer:

TexBill

Blues in Texas
B. B. King song Griff is planning on doing is "Backdoor Santa". I have watched the suggested video and another one done by a different artist. Also, Griff included a short quiz in the email today. I had trouble hearing the changes in both and honestly don't know what form either or both demonstrate.

Have any others watched the video, and if so, did you come up with any ideas on whether it is 8 bars, 12 bars, 16 bars or just a lot of repitition of 12 bars. Another idea was that it does not start on the I chord. Maybe it has a pickup on the IV and then moves to the I-IV-V progression. Just my take on it, and not an arguement supporting any thechnical aspect.

Comments, please!

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
B. B. King song Griff is planning on doing is "Backdoor Santa". I have watched the suggested video and another one done by a different artist. Also, Griff included a short quiz in the email today. I had trouble hearing the changes in both and honestly don't know what form either or both demonstrate.

Have any others watched the video, and if so, did you come up with any ideas on whether it is 8 bars, 12 bars, 16 bars or just a lot of repitition of 12 bars. Another idea was that it does not start on the I chord. Maybe it has a pickup on the IV and then moves to the I-IV-V progression. Just my take on it, and not an arguement supporting any thechnical aspect.

Comments, please!
If you aren't hearing those things, Tex, focus in on what the bass guitar is doing - it has all the answers. (Oh, and count!)

TexBill

Blues in Texas
If you aren't hearing those things, Tex, focus in on what the bass guitar is doing - it has all the answers. (Oh, and count!)
Thanks for the tips, Doug. That is exactly what I did not do. I have hearing losses at multiple frequencies and some things are more difficult to interpret than others. In the suggested video, the main guitar part was very pronounced compared to the bass part. I will take your advice and listen again and again until I determine if I can hear the bass for clues.

Reactions: dvs

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I would just say that Griff has done a number of songs i requested a Grand Funk blues song a Mitch Ryder Detroit song hes very open to good suggestions of material cover.

If theres a month or three that dont spin your wheel practice what you want best luck man!

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I would just say that Griff has done a number of songs i requested a Grand Funk blues song a Mitch Ryder Detroit song hes very open to good suggestions of material cover.

If theres a month or three that dont spin your wheel practice what you want best luck man!
Yes, we cover other things besides Blues. That's all good. I must say that the Jazz theory was a bit overwhelming. I have not discussed the December trend before as believe it or not I am an accepting person. I was pleased to get Jack's reply about he thought Griff was just kidding. Clearly, I see no reason for starting the December season in October. It's before Thanksgiving. Or are you one of those persons that put's up the tree and house lighting before Thanksgiving? If so, please enjoy your long season!

Too your second point, obviously.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I"m not familiar with what was discussed at the webinar, but it's possible that Griff wants to introduce the material early enough so students can "own" it by Christmas. That time period would vary by ability etc. That's just one man's opinion. (y):Beer:

TexBill

Blues in Texas
I"m not familiar with what was discussed at the webinar, but it's possible that Griff wants to introduce the material early enough so students can "own" it by Christmas. That time period would vary by ability etc. That's just one man's opinion. (y):Beer:
At the end of the seession on 11-29 as Griff was wraping up, he made a comment about Christmas songs. He looked at the Chat and then commented that something along the lines of "maybe we should start Christmas songs in October" and chuckled as he does. He then added, That would give us a couple months to get them down and again followed by his stock "Chuckle". Whether he was serious or not, I took it as though he was joking and laughing about it.

That's just the way I took what he was eluding to. Have to wait and see if that is what he decides to try. Personally, I would not object nor approve of three monts of "Theme Songs" of whatever season it happens to be.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
No, Griff said that he would do a Christmas song in December. I half jokingly said something like "Only ONE month to learn it!!! Start earlier". Griff joked that "maybe we should start in October".
Actually ONE month, maybe November would be better than December. Learning AND owning it by the end of December is tough and for some of us old folks.
I know that not everyone plays gigs, but learning it in November so that I could play it throughout my December shows would work better for me.
But really I was just poking fun at myself for being unable to learn songs quickly.

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
No, Griff said that he would do a Christmas song in December. I half jokingly said something like "Only ONE month to learn it!!! Start earlier". Griff joked that "maybe we should start in October".
Actually ONE month, maybe November would be better than December. Learning AND owning it by the end of December is tough and for some of us old folks.
I know that not everyone plays gigs, but learning it in November so that I could play it throughout my December shows would work better for me.
But really I was just poking fun at myself for being unable to learn songs quickly.
I agree with starting in November. I’m doing a holiday-themed open mic on the 15th, and this would have been a great one to add to my setlist, but I doubt I can get it done by then.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
So. How many months of xmass music then? I'm obviously good with none nada zero. I haven't said anything until this was said jokingly and I didn't take it as a joke. Would you suggest learning them in November for a month and then the weeks before xmass go ahead and learn Laundromat Blues by Albert King? or how about Your Funeral My Trial the Joe Bonamasaa version? Those are pretty festive aren't they? Hopefully you get my sarcastic point. Keep it to December and people like me who just want to get along will say nothing. Expand it out and start before the season and it's just not right.

It's happy happy hour so, :Beer:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I agree with starting in November. I’m doing a holiday-themed open mic on the 15th, and this would have been a great one to add to my setlist

What songs are you doing? I think for next year having an open mic 3 or 4 songs would be cool!

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
So. How many months of xmass music then? I'm obviously good with none nada zero. I haven't said anything until this was said jokingly and I didn't take it as a joke. Would you suggest learning them in November for a month and then the weeks before xmass go ahead and learn Laundromat Blues by Albert King? or how about Your Funeral My Trial the Joe Bonamasaa version? Those are pretty festive aren't they? Hopefully you get my sarcastic point. Keep it to December and people like me who just want to get along will say nothing. Expand it out and start before the season and it's just not right.

It's happy happy hour so, :Beer:
Clearly you don't like learning Christmas music, but yes! That's exactly what I'd do. Learn Christmas songs in November (in time to play them for Christmas) then move on to something else in December. I don't see the problem.

TexBill

Blues in Texas
Heh. At the rate I learn new stuff it's more like this December's holiday tune might be a target to have ready for playing next year. :Beer:
At the rate I semi learn a new song, maybe I should start now for 2024. Maybe, just maybe I will be ready by then. Been working on one that I played back in 2005 -06 and decided to change it from strumming to arppeggiated style like one of the lessons Griff does. I almost have it until I try to play along with him. And it goes terribly wrong. Weird part is when strumming at a faster tempo, chord changes are no problem. When I pick each note, I get off by as much as 2 or 3 notes. Hope to have it down in another month. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:

DaveFromVA

In the basement.
What songs are you doing? I think for next year having an open mic 3 or 4 songs would be cool!
Right now it’s “Please Come Home For Christmas” and Springsteen’s version of “Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town”. Probably adding Elvis’ version of “Blue Christmas”, too.