Not following theory on Key

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
So, for the theory guys..................I have two songs I have mostly written, that from what I can see don't really follow any key, so I am not sure how this works in theory. (They are not finished so please dont judge, and yes, I know the drums and bass need work, but, I am still learning to play both). Oh, and the synth sound is actually a 12 string Tak run through a pre-amp with the impedence turned up

Main riff goes from A minor aprpegio to a D, back and forth a few times, then a E minor, D, A .It has an A minor extended scale lick over the top

In A minor, E Minor is the V chord, but D is not in that key at all, but it seems to work, as it gives me a bounce up sound I was looking for after the minor chord

In the key of G though A minor is the ii chord, D is the V and E minor is the Vi

This works because the ii chord can lead to either a ( I, V, VII).
The V chord can lead to either a ( I, or VI)
The VI can of course lead too a ( I, ii, iii, IV, V)

So, even though G does not appear anywhere in the main riff, would this mean that the song is technically in the key of G ?
G does appear later in the chorus, but it never resolves to G at all, I think it really resolves to the A minor to my ear.

Sadly, I have been working on this song for about 6 months or so. I have a idea in my head to get out. The solo is almost ready to record is pretty much A lydian and it really seems to hit the vibe I am going for. I went back and looked at charts after writing the solo, and lydian seems to be what it is (funny thing, I didn't know the lydian scale when I did it)............................So, what am I looking at wrong here ?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d8ym65lwdatuzoi/wma streets.wma?dl=0

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So, even though G does not appear anywhere in the main riff, would this mean that the song is technically in the key of G ?

Haven't listened to the song yet. Can't open it on this computer.

But from your description.....

Yes, all your reasoning is sound. (y)

Take it one step further.

Key of G with Am as the tonal center = A Dorian Mode

Major IV chord in a minor progression is a "red flag" for Dorian.

And "bouncing" back and forth between the i (Am) and the IV (D) is pretty typical.

Just ask Carlos. :)

Chords in G Major starting from Am = Am Bm C D Em F#mb5 G = i ii III IV v vib5 VII in A Dorian

A Lydian for the solo would suggest you changed the key to E Major. :unsure:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
OK. Had a listen.

After all the Am - D - Em stuff.....

G - C - Em x 4 = I - IV - vi in G Major

D - C - G x 2 = V - IV - I in G Major or I - bVii - IV in D Mixolydian

Em - D - Am back to A Dorian

All still in the Key of G Major.

But can't yet reckon how A Lydian fits in. o_O

That's 4 #'s over chords in a Key that only has 1.

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
OK. Had a listen.

After all the Am - D - Em stuff.....

G - C - Em x 4 = I - IV - vi in G Major

D - C - G x 2 = V - IV - I in G Major or I - bVii - IV in D Mixolydian

Em - D - Am back to A Dorian

All still in the Key of G Major.

But can't yet reckon how A Lydian fits in. o_O

That's 4 #'s over chords in a Key that only has 1.

How I came up with Lydian, I started the solo in box 1 of A minor, and there were some tension half steps I added in as passing notes. When I started to really look and think because the key wasn't making sense, so I started looking at the solo and went and looked at everything, and it looks like I pulled multiple notes from Lydian , thats the only reason I thought that

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Ain't sayin' A Lydian is wrong.

If that's what you're using, that's what you're using.

A Lydian = A B C# D# E F# G#

The #'s are in the scale.

But, if your #'s (tension notes) are "passing tones", you'll want to ask, "What are the notes of the scale they're passing between?".

That'll be the actual scale you're using. :)

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
For example....

If you're in A Dorian

A B C D E F# G A

A minor pentatonic Box 1 would work.

If you throw in a C# to pass form C to D or a D# going from D to E or a G# passing from G to A, those #'s are passing tones in A Dorian.

However, if you are replacing C, D and G with C#, D# and G#, you are in A Lydian.

If your solo is over the Am - D - Em progression, you're most likely adding passing tones to A Dorian.

Modes are pretty "unforgiving". You're not likely playing A Lydian (a Major mode) over an A Dorian progression (a minor mode).

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
For example....

If you're in A Dorian

A B C D E F# G A

A minor pentatonic Box 1 would work.

If you throw in a C# to pass form C to D or a D# going from D to E or a G# passing from G to A, those #'s are passing tones in A Dorian.

However, if you are replacing C, D and G with C#, D# and G#, you are in A Lydian.

If your solo is over the Am - D - Em progression, you're most likely adding passing tones to A Dorian.

Modes are pretty "unforgiving". You're not likely playing A Lydian (a Major mode) over an A Dorian progression (a minor mode).
good point, I will have to double check, I haven't tabbed it out yet as I am still writing it