Fuzz pedal

RussellChase

Blues Newbie
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone could advise on a fuzz pedal that sounds good through a blues jnr amp. Ive never owned a fuzz pedal before and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks in advance and stay safe
Regards
Russell

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
My advice is forget about fuzz pedals and concentrate on a good Overdrive pedal like the J Rockett Dude!
Or the Okko Diablo Gain +

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
If you're just looking to try out a fuzz, honestly, you can't go wrong with the Behringer Super Fuzz. I've got 3 fuzz pedals. The Behringer SF300 Super Fuzz (less than $30 shipped brand new), the Danelectro French Toast ($45 shipped brand new), and a Wrought Iron Effects Kaibur Fuzz (around $300 depending on where you find it). Honestly, on the rare occasion I reach for a fuzz, I grab the Behringer because it does the job pretty well. The Dano pedal has an octave option, and the Kaibur fuzz is really nice and has some other options, but I have trouble dialing it in sometimes. If I were buying today, I'd get one of those Dano 3699 fuzz pedals ($150 I think).

A lot of stores seem to be out of the Super Fuzz a lot of the time, so folks try to sell them used for way more than they should. If you want to go that route, American Musical had some in stock the other day. IOW, if that's what you want to try, don't pay used prices because folks are getting stupid with them (asking $50+ for them). Look around, and one of the big online retailers almost always has a small quantity so you can get them for under $30.

I'm not a fuzz aficionado by any stretch, and I don't use a fuzz very often, but everybody needs one because they're just a kick in the head to play with sometimes. And you never know, it might be a sound that you really dig.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
i would go for a fuzz face circuit,,,,they clean up with the volume pot ,,,a lot of later fuzz pedals do not i big muff etc,,,and as ever the circuits all sound different ,,,nobody knows what your ears like or the tone your looking for,,do some research on youtube demo's,,,,just one to start with

Last edited:

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
My current favourite is the Big Muff, but after that video I need to look further into the Tonebenders...

Norfolk Bill

i have a green russian big muff,,,tonebendermk2,,,germanium fuzz face ,,the first two are either on or off lol no clean up at all,,,the one i use most is the fuzzface so could be always on and just work the guitar volume control,,,for clean,,od and up to full fuzz,,,in fact its crystal clean at 7

Norfolk Bill

actually another good one is the ehx double muff ,,i have one kicking about its not a muff circuit just an early od circuit from the late sixties,,but they have put two of those circuits on a box that can be cascaded together and it gets very fuzzy and cleans up well,,,and not very expensive

arock

Help! I'm a rock
Really depends on what kind of fuzz tone you are going for. So many different fuzz pedals out there, and I have had a number of them. Do you want extreme chaos, a David Gilmour type of sound, somewhere in between....? The one I've had on my board for the longest, and currently use for gigs is the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. Some fuzz pedals don't cut through the mix very well. but this one does that well, even on a noisy stage with a noisy crowd. It does what I want it to, and more importantly, I like how it sounds. ymmv.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Really depends on what kind of fuzz tone you are going for. So many different fuzz pedals out there, and I have had a number of them. Do you want extreme chaos, a David Gilmour type of sound, somewhere in between....? The one I've had on my board for the longest, and currently use for gigs is the Wampler Velvet Fuzz. Some fuzz pedals don't cut through the mix very well. but this one does that well, even on a noisy stage with a noisy crowd. It does what I want it to, and more importantly, I like how it sounds. ymmv.
Got one of those on my build list! Love Wampler' stuff

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have a Mojohand Iron Bell fuzz. Supposed to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. All it does is turn my rig into a screeching, howling banshee.
It isn't even on my board. These pedals give me everything I will EVER need!
COMPACT BOARD.JPG

MinorT

Got My Mojo Working???
Hi all
I was wondering if anyone could advise on a fuzz pedal that sounds good through a blues jnr amp. Ive never owned a fuzz pedal before and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks in advance and stay safe
Regards
Russell
Honestly, everything sounds good through FBJ amp, damn things were made for pedals. That said, Jim Dunlop Germanium Fuzz Face is the real deal and don’t look back.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Don't forget to try different speakers with your Blues Jr. Oh yes - you might also try different pickups, and different guitars with a fuzz pedal, or any other types of pedals you may wish to use. By then it will be time for a different amplifier, and you can start the process all over again.

You might consider an amplifier with a FX (effects loop) to add to the equation. :confused:

Enjoy your journey into the world of electric guitars and their "sound qualities". :) I hope that you find what you are looking for. :cool:

Tom

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
I don't know what might make a pedal sound good or not good with any particular amplifier, so I can't say much about that. However, I play through a Blues Jr. (III series, no mods) all the time and I am happy with the JHS Mini Foot V2 on my pedal board.