When famous people are cool

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Closest I've got to someone famous- next to the keyboard player of Bon Jovi on an airplane. He was cool.

Reactions: EJG

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I'm sure someday I'll be able to say:
When I was trying to learn guitar, that guy was on the same forum with me, he was pretty cool.
We all have the potential to be famous............who will make it?

DesmoDog

Desmo was my dog. RIP big guy
funny you should mention them, I know the guitar player

You know Phil X? He's one of the reasons I stuck with trying to learn to play. I discovered his Fretted Americana videos and liked his enthusiasm. Then I saw a couple interviews and sorta started following him more or less. I get a kick out of his stories about working his way up the ladder in the guitar world. Getting a phone call while grocery shopping - "we'd like you to fill in with Bon Jovi again". Ok, when? "Tonight, we'll get you a jet..." Ok thats paraphrasing but still. You know, typical calls we've all gotten at some point.

Anyway, from the limited interviews/videos I've seen he seems like he'd be a cool guy to talk to.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
You know Phil X? He's one of the reasons I stuck with trying to learn to play. I discovered his Fretted Americana videos and liked his enthusiasm. Then I saw a couple interviews and sorta started following him more or less. I get a kick out of his stories about working his way up the ladder in the guitar world. Getting a phone call while grocery shopping - "we'd like you to fill in with Bon Jovi again". Ok, when? "Tonight, we'll get you a jet..." Ok thats paraphrasing but still. You know, typical calls we've all gotten at some point.

Anyway, from the limited interviews/videos I've seen he seems like he'd be a cool guy to talk to.
living in socal, and knowing someone who knows someone, I have been pretty lucky to meet people.

My dream though, meet CC Deville

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Yeah. It gets old real quick. :whistle::rolleyes::D

One of my former graduate students is an accomplished jazz drummer and is now the V.P. of Music Education for GC. Last year he was telling me the story of getting a call when he was younger asking if he would be interested in going on tour with George Michael. It wasn't his favorite genre of music but he was really working hard at making a name for himself (I equate it to Ty going on tour with Katie Perry). The kicker was that they wanted a drummer who was blond and with spiked hair. He told them "no problem" and immediately went to the nearest hair salon to get his very dark conservative haircut bleached and spiked. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing that today, but I might be tempted! ...if I could play (n)

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
One of my former graduate students is an accomplished jazz drummer and is now the V.P. of Music Education for GC. Last year he was telling me the story of getting a call when he was younger asking if he would be interested in going on tour with George Michael. It wasn't his favorite genre of music but he was really working hard at making a name for himself (I equate it to Ty going on tour with Katie Perry). The kicker was that they wanted a drummer who was blond and with spiked hair. He told them "no problem" and immediately went to the nearest hair salon to get his very dark conservative haircut bleached and spiked. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be doing that today, but I might be tempted! ...if I could play (n)
I would do anything Katy Perry asked me to do, even play a Daisy Rock guitar...........................yes I am that shallow

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
My close brush with a famous person was when I got to pee in the urinal right beside Tommy Emmanuel during a break in his gig at the Dakotah Bar in Mpls a while back.
He was deep into a conversation with someone else at the time, so I didn't even get a chance to say "hi". :(
And no, there were no comparisons made either.
I just know someone here was going to ask. And I can probably guess who. You know who you are. :ROFLMAO:

WilliamEnright

Blues Junior
I met the Clintons and the Blairs when they were working on the NI peace agreement. I wished them good luck as it was a heck of an issue. They were polite enough to say thanks for the logistics work we were doing at the time and for the wishes. My main contact was US serviceman, Top Sgt Ramirez, lovely chap. His boss was a Colonel from 'Big Sky County' (is that Montana?).
These days I sometimes get to spend a little bit of time with a resident of 'Buck House'. They work their socks off and always perfect manners and word for everyone they meet. Some of the stuff they do with underprivileged kids is amazing and unsung. Not beyond making a bit of fun either as I had one event I attended when I had a broken ankle, when they found out I had done it hanging out the laundry and not doing something macho I was the butt of the joke for a while.

BigMike

Blues Oldie
Once got talking to Steve Winwood and his band about 5 years ago at Adelaide airport. We had seen him in concert the night before and his flight to Wellington had been cancelled so they were waiting around. He was quite impressed my young son had been to the concert with me. Nice guy.
Talking about peeing alongside famous people, I was watching the practice rounds at the British Open Golf at Royal LSA once and went for a pee, guy come and stood next to me and when I looked up it was Nick Faldo. He was nearly as tall as me! Didn't say much though. Not the right time or place for a meaningful conversation really :sick:

EJG

Central NJ
Closest I've got to someone famous- next to the keyboard player of Bon Jovi on an airplane. He was cool.
David Bryan. He came in to a bar/restaurant where my son was playing. I honestly thought he was homeless, but the mother of my son’s buddy recognized him. He ate dinner with some other people and we didn’t bother him.
I also sat onstage at a Allman Brothers show once. Gregg was playing about a foot away from me. I remember the promoter telling him not to have any drum solos during the show. Gregg just ignored him. Warren Haynes sat right next to me during the drum solo, but I didn’t say anything to him.

I’ve known many famous scientists and Nobel Prize winners and they were mostly very nice people (with one noteable exception).