Top 5 songwriters of our generation...

Your top 5 song writers...

• anyone

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • anyone

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
1. Ani Difranco
2. Eddie Vedder
3. John Prine
4. Billy Joel
5. Keller Williams

All the others listed above are great, too. There's not really any way to narrow this down to just 5. I just tried to add a couple of names that hadn't already been mentioned and of course couldn't resist adding a couple that just have to be up there.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
I have met so many millennial's, that think a generation is one week. If it did not happen this week, it is too old to be thought of. :eek: :(

Tom
that's interesting in the context of the original question. What IS "Our generation"? That implies a "we"; so who are we? Obviously BGU members, but how do you define "our" generation"? Say a generation is approximately 20 years, and WWII is a starting point. Those born 1940-1959; 1960-79; 80-99; 2000-now. That's four generations and I bet there are BGU members in each, and they WANT to vote because we've seen songwriters from each(?) of those generations.

So maybe it should be top 5 songwriters of our period, or lifetimes. All of mine started out in the 1960's.

Last edited:

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I have met so many millennial's, that think a generation is one week. If it did not happen this week, it is too old to be thought of. :eek: :(

Tom

I've met them too, but when I'm out gigging, I'm often also pleasantly surprised when a 20-something comes up and requests one of my oldies or when they come up and tell me how much they love this song or that song. I cry when I listen to "their" music, but I think there is still hope.

brent

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.
that's interesting in the context of the original question. What IS "Our generation"? That implies a "we"; so who are we? Obviously BGU members, but how do you define "our" generation"? Say a generation is approximately 20 years, and WWII is a starting point. Those born 1940-1959; 1960-79; 80-99; 2000-now. That's four generations and I bet there are BGU members in each, and they WANT to vote because we've seen songwriters from each(?) of those generations.

So maybe it should be top 5 songwriters of our period, or lifetimes. All of mine started out in the 1960's.

Gen-Xer here.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I am not sure of the limitation of what “our generation” may or may not include.

At any rate, here are 5 songwriters that I heard music from since I was born.

Hank Williams

Willie Nelson

Woody Guthrie

Burt Bacharach

Dolly Parton

How I feel at any particular moment may reflect a different list of names! :cry::ROFLMAO::eek:

Tom