Acoustic BGU vs How to Jam the Blues Alone.

BradleyGonyer

Blues Newbie
Hey all, need some advice. Am retired and learning some guitar. Playing a Taylor acoustic. Have finished Beginning BGU. At my age, not joining any bands. Just like to play. Am trying to decide on my next course purchase, Acoustic BGU versus How to Jam the Blues Alone.
Any advice out there?
Brad

Elwood

Blues
It sounds like, from what you are saying, that the acoustic BGU will have more foundational stuff to help you enjoy the htjba more fully. The exercises in ABGU will keep you pickin and grinnin for a while.
At my age, not joining any bands
don't despair, just work at it a while, maybe when you get a little older you'll get a break! :D

Griff

Vice Assistant General Manager
Staff member
I concur with the above responses, in case that helps. I also replied to your PM.

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
I would concur with all above. ABGU is the next logical step, I followed that scenario and have a great time. Since I'm not going to be joining a band any time soon, I find playing acoustic blues provides a tremendous amount of variety that can be mixed and matched and keep you enjoying blues guitar without joining a band. Go for it!

Elwood

Blues
Another thing about ABGU, It has Lesson 10 - Little Chord Shapes (p.48). I like this sooo much it has become part of my daily routine for some time now. These chords and this concept, along with the 5 pent boxes, has helped me tremendously (Huge thanks @Griff !!!) to be more able to play what I "hear" when I tackle a tune.

I just jump back in on this topic because straightening up around here while reading these responses I came across a dog eared work copy of the little chords. It just reminded me how important this course has been to me. (even helps with my banjo exploits, not chords or patterns, but concepts. probably end up making me a weird picker, so?)

And, just so as to not ruin my reputation, no I have not finished it yet. Plenty of time.:Beer:

TxStrat

Lovin’ the journey of life and the blues
Great choice! The great thing about ABGU is once you get through all the lessons before the songs at the end, you can play through the mini-songs pretty quickly for a quick practice session to keep up with the skills you learned and they’re all really fun to play.

Elwood

Blues
Hey @BradleyGonyer, good luck, you will love it!!!

Not for bragging (lots of warts, nothing to brag about), but by way of an example...if you step down to the VJR, one of our most prolific and proficient members, @CaptainMoto put up a track "Moto Sit'n Round". If you listen up at 1:15 or so I play about a minute on a slothead Taylor. I stumble and bumble but here is the point...
A couple of years ago I could have tried until the grass died and never played one, even marginal bar through that tune on a guitar. Anytime in that minute you hear a bar or so of coherent playing, it is either a direct "lift" off of @Griff ABGU, or my mutation of one of Griff's lines. All the other players down there would agree that they have, at least, been very heavily influenced by one or more BGU course. There really is a treasure trove of goodies in there, I am still just breaking the ice on all of them. Rip 'er up!!!
And, this is another open invitation/solicitation to come play in the VJR. @PapaRaptor (pardon me for cheerleading Papa) has a great playground down there for us all to enjoy and enrich.

C'mon down!

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
And, this is another open invitation/solicitation to come play in the VJR. @PapaRaptor (pardon me for cheerleading Papa) has a great playground down there for us all to enjoy and enrich.
It's not mine. I was present at its birth, but it's more of a community thing. Right now, Captain Moto is contributing fresh tracks like crazy.
I wholeheartedly agree that anyone is welcome in the VJR. New blood is always well received. It's a great place to get your feet wet in playing for others. It is also very helpful in getting past the "Red LIght Terrors" that seem to happen to just about everyone the first few times you click that record button and start recording for posterity.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
It is also very helpful in getting past the "Red LIght Terrors" that seem to happen to just about everyone the first few times you click that record button and start recording for posterity.

Wait! That's supposed to go away? I still have to muck it up 20 or 30 times before I can get something down that doesn't COMPLETELY embarrass me.

Cornfield

Blues Newbie
I saw the ad today for jamming acoustic blues and wondered if it was redundant to the ABGU, which I study a lot.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I saw the ad today for jamming acoustic blues and wondered if it was redundant to the ABGU, which I study a lot.
ABGU Is more of a soup to nuts course:
Tuning, Picks & Fingers discussion, Note names, Timing & Counting, Chords, Rhythm, Scales, 12 bar form + several "songs"

How To Jam Alone Is more about how to just sit and play what and instructor I had MANY years ago used to call Rhythm & Blues. Play some notes, play some chords, play some notes play some chords....