So What's New With You?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
So after lunch last Friday I start to develop a pretty good case of what I thought was heartburn. Four Alka-Seltzer and some Rolaids don’t help, so I drive myself over to the grocery store, work my way through the chaos and pick up some Pepto and Gas-X. People are also stockpiling antacids?

Pepto doesn’t help. Gas-X does for about an hour. Pain comes back with a vengeance.

About 7:30 I drive myself to an Emergency One, hoping to avoid a trip to the hospital.

Doctor can’t do anything. Sends me to the hospital.

Still doubled over in the worse pain I’ve ever experienced, I drive my self to the hospital.

Waiting room looks like a dungeon. There's nobody there but the receptionist. She points me to registration.

Sit down with the nurse at registration. She’s kinda rude. I know she’s had a long day.

But after watching me rocking back and forth in the chair and hardly being able to talk, she starts to show a little empathy.

I’m finally gonna vomit. She whips out one of those collapsable blue bags I’ve never seen before, but I figure it out pretty quick.

Without waiting for a wheelchair she takes me by the hand and we run across the hall into the Emergency Room. I’m sweating like crazy and kind of delirious. They get me onto a bed. Doctor comes in and I explain my journey. He says he’ll get everything rolling and he’ll get me something for the pain.

Soon as he walks out, I burp. The pain is totally gone.

They do an EKG, X-ray, Ultrasound, blood work and CAT Scan.

All normal. Diagnosis? Gas.

Discharged at 12:15 A. M.

Nope. Not the end.

Next morning I awake with a fever. Wasn’t gas.

In bed all day Saturday and most of Sunday.

In and out of delirium.

Counting the same couple of Albert King licks over and over in my head.

Monday I attempt to follow-up with my Primary Care Physician. Their entire building is locked down for 6 weeks. One of the Doctors there contracted the virus. My Neurologist's office calls and cancels next week's appointment. Rescheduled 8 weeks from now.

Today, Tuesday, I get a follow-up call from the Doctor at the Emergency One that sent me to the hospital. Says he had another patient come in after me with severe abdominal pain and fever. Tells me it was a viral infection. Gives me the usual advice about resting and letting it continue to resolve.

I tell him everything they did at the hospital. He was particularly interested to hear they did the Ultrasound.

I thanked him for following up with me.

He called back 20 minutes later to tell me he viewed the Ultrasound.

And that I only have one kidney.

What the F**K? :eek::confused:

Last edited:

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
What the h---- OH BOY--WOW them low rent son-of a-bitches stole one of your kidneys--them A--H---- I hate to laugh about your situation---but man that one beats anything Saturday Night Live could come up with. I sure hope you are O.K...

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Hoping that was someone else's ultrasound! A few years ago I went in for my annual physical and my doctor went over the labs with me. My urine showed that I had a very severe, raging urinary tract infection. I told him that I felt fine, so he sent me to the urologist across the hall to do a quick confirmation. He took one look and said, "uh, that wasn't your urine they tested." I still feel really bad for the poor patient somewhere who complained bitterly about the urinary tract pain but was probably told that "your test shows that you're fine."

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
A quick Google and I come up with "Unilateral Renal Agenesis".

With estimates from 1 in 750 to 1 in 1000 babies born with only one kidney.

I'm a couple months shy of turning 70 and nobody's ever noticed before?

I'm definitely going to get it checked out, but it'll be another 6 to 8 weeks before doctors will start seeing patients again.

The City of Kingston has declared a State of Emergency.

Luckily I'm almost completely recovered.

But I'm gonna take myself off the organ donor list.:rolleyes:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
What a story!

When I was nine, I had Scarlett Fever, and a week later Rheumatic fever. It effected my upper respiratory system, and not my heart. What luck! While I was sick, the doctor said that when I recover, I had to have my tonsils removed. After I recovered, about three months later, the same doctor said: "Oh, I see that you had your tonsils removed"! I did not. Every doctor I have seen since then, military and civilian, said, "Oh, I see that you have had your tonsils removed"! :) Imagine how I have been deprived of that ice cream dish after having my tonsils removed? ;)

Tom

Last edited:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
A quick Google and I come up with "Unilateral Renal Agenesis".

I'm definitely going to get it checked out, but it'll be another 6 to 8 weeks before doctors will start seeing patients again.

The City of Kingston has declared a State of Emergency.

Luckily I'm almost completely recovered.

But I'm gonna take myself off the organ donor list.:rolleyes:

It really is missing? Yeah, don't offer to be a donor. That would be bad.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll

I'm definitely going to get it checked out, but it'll be another 6 to 8 weeks before

Glad you are doing better!

If we both survive can i trade you one of mine for your guitar skills?

Hmmmm maybe Griff needs one ...

ronico

rainyislandblues
Wow! That must have been an interesting moment, hearing that! Glad you're feeling better. It's a bad time to need medical help.....

blackcoffeeblues

Student Of The Blues
Reminds me of 38 years ago when my son fell off the monkey bars and broke his wrist---They called Sharon and she took him to the E.R. They sit for almost a hour and Josh was in major pain---wrist swollen black and blue---crying his head off...nobody even came to check it out....Mama WENT OFF on the receptionist. A minute later the "On Duty Dr". came out with a xray in his hand, and told Mama "It is just a sprained wrist"---she popped the cork on that Italian temper. "He ain't had damn xray yet ." (I am being very gentle there guys, when she pops that top, WHOOOA she ain't no lady no more---trust me on that one) Boy did his attitude change real quick. Ended up he had he had a compound fracture. Jus Sayin'

Elwood

Blues
Glad your are OK Paleo!, Maybe I got lost in the story, but if you only had one kidney all along, then what was the cause of your distress? Sure hope it is gone for good!

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
@Elwood

My kidney(s) had nothing to do with my abdominal pain, but would be visible in an ultrasound.

Apparently only one was.o_O

Last edited:

ronico

rainyislandblues
If you don't know what you're saying, keep your mouth shut.
You can hear an awful lot just by listening.
Common sense ain't so common
Nobody knows nuthin' 'til they learn somethin'
#18 PaleoGood plan one can hope