Solo 3 note question

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
I'm working on solo 3 and in measure 18 about in the middle there is a D# that seems out of place. Same thing in measure 21. What am I not understanding?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
In my manual it's an Eb. Samo samo.

Regardless...

In both measures he's in minor pentatonic Box 3.

Staying in the pattern they would be D naturals at the 7th fret. (Which you could play instead.)

He may have hit the Eb by choice.

Even though it's not in the minor scale, it's a half step above the 5 and a half step below the 6 of the Major scale.

And it's the b6 in the Natural minor scale.

Or he might have just been a half step off due to the 4 fret "stretch" in Box 3.

In measure 21 he also plays a B natural rather than the C in Box 3.

Which is the 3 of the Major scale.

After all, he is mixing Major and minor, even if it's just one or 2 Major notes in the middle of a minor run.:sneaky:

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Maybe we can give Griff's new "Modern Blues Soloing" course a plug by suggesting that the D# could be considered the #9 from the C Alternate Dominant Scale in measure 18 and the Eb is the b9 of the D Alternate Dominant scale in measure 21.:unsure::sneaky:

Last edited:

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
In my manual it's an Eb. Samo samo.

Regardless...

In both measures he's in minor pentatonic Box 3.

Staying in the pattern they would be D naturals at the 7th fret. (Which you could play instead.)

He may have hit the Eb by choice.

Even though it's not in the minor scale, it's a half step above the 5 and a half step below the 6 of the Major scale.

And it's the b6 in the Natural minor scale.

Or he might have just been a half step off due to the 4 fret "stretch" in Box 3.

In measure 21 he also plays a B natural rather than the C in Box 3.

Which is the 3 of the Major scale.

After all, he is mixing Major and minor, even if it's just one or 2 Major notes in the middle of a minor run.:sneaky:
Thank you for the reply. I've been trying to play it how it I'll say the "regular" way (minor pentatonic over the IV and V chords) and the way it is written in the manual. To my ears it sounds better just sticking with the minor pentatonic but first things first is to just play something without too many mistakes! I'm finding it a challenge no matter how I try and play it!

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
Maybe we can give Griff's new "Modern Blues Soloing" course a plug by suggesting that the D# could be considered the #9 from the C Alternate Dominant Scale in measure 18 and the Eb is the b9 of the D Alternate Dominant scale in measure 21.:unsure::sneaky:
I've listened to the first 3 or 4 lessons and this course will take me some time to get through (well, most of them do anyway!). I do want to learn and understand all this "fancy" stuff (I think).

Steve_Whant

Blues Junior
I think this course is improving my dexterity. It is taking time to get the solos "in my ear" and then to get the slow versions nailed. The fast versions will come with time i think - there are just some sections and moves that begin as really jarring for ears and fingers but then slowly, after many , many repeats i am getting there. All helped by the fact that these are awesome solos in their own right that luckily can be listened to time and time again without becoming dull. My advice - stick at it.

Jerry_G

Blues Newbie
I think this course is improving my dexterity. It is taking time to get the solos "in my ear" and then to get the slow versions nailed. The fast versions will come with time i think - there are just some sections and moves that begin as really jarring for ears and fingers but then slowly, after many , many repeats i am getting there. All helped by the fact that these are awesome solos in their own right that luckily can be listened to time and time again without becoming dull. My advice - stick at it.
Hi Steve,

Yes, I will for sure stick with it. I'm working on Solo 5 now and a bit more than half way through it though the measure with 30 something notes will be a challenge! I bought this course a long time ago and want to get to the point where I can just bang out at least the first five solos sort of as a "warm-up". For the first four I'm now able to play mostly mistake free in the 90-100% tempo range. I'm also going through the Caged course and will circle back to the Chord by Chord Blues Soloing course and get the arpegios down so I can then focus on the Modern Blues Soloing. Lots of fun!