Hearing loss

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I have a hearing loss and need a hearing aid. Is there one recommended for musicians?

Find an audiologist (not just a hearing aid fitter/dispenser) to consult with. A good audiologist will take into account your unique needs for your lifestyle. If you have an ENT that you see, that would probably be a good place to start for a referral. Digital heating aids are programmable and amazingly customizable these days.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I fully agree with Elio. I have hearing aids in both ears. I'd be lost without them. I have an audiologist that I go to, to purchase and service my hearing aids. I visit with her 3-4 times a year for adjustments, 'tune-ups', new tubes... these visits are covered by my initial purchase.

Using hearing aids is somewhat of an acquired skill, they take some getting used to and could likely require adjustments over a period of time. Perhaps the biggest toughest step is realizing that hearing aids can help to change your life. It seems like you may be off to a good start in that regards.

Best of luck. Let us know how it works out for you.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
I got hearing aids last week. The interesting thing is that by going to an audiologist we found I lost some low (bass) in the left ear and lots of treble in the right. It has only been a few days so i am still in the learning, adjusting stage. After 2 weeks I go back for a final adjustment. The upside is I can clearly hear my playing. The down side is I can clearly hear my playing.LOL

Rad

Blues Newbie
I got hearing aids last week. The interesting thing is that by going to an audiologist we found I lost some low (bass) in the left ear and lots of treble in the right. It has only been a few days so i am still in the learning, adjusting stage. After 2 weeks I go back for a final adjustment. The upside is I can clearly hear my playing. The down side is I can clearly hear my playing.LOL

I was told and it was true for me, often times the brain was accustomed to the sounds that came in from your ears before aids and the brain can/may actually “readjust” what your ears are sending to be more like what it was prior to the aids. I visited a number of times during the first year until my brain gave up the battle.

It has been a few years for me and it is time for me to consider retesting and possibly new aids.

For me, I have a love hate relationship with them. I use them but if I want to get a jazzier tone from my amp, I can just roll off the highs by taking out my hearing aids..............LOL

JestMe

Student Of The Blues

Congratulations and best of luck. I hope they are really helpful to you! Good luck!

When I get new hearing aids I may visit my audiologist several times or more for adjustments. Many audiologists include a year or more of office visits with new hearing aids. It might be worthwhile to check this with your audiologist. I also go quarterly to have them 'serviced' ... they suction any moisture or debris from them and I get new tubes ... no not amp tubes, these tubes go from my hearing aids [behind my ears] to the molds that go inside my ear.

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
jestme has great insight to the issues with hearing aids/ears. I went to Costco. Great prices plus lots of free stuff. For me that is "domes and filters". 2 year warranty and so on. They really have been awesome.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I've been considering having an audiologist give me a complete hearing analysis. I decided against it. If I got hearing aids, I would have no excuse for not "hearing" my wife.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I've been considering having an audiologist give me a complete hearing analysis. I decided against it. If I got hearing aids, I would have no excuse for not "hearing" my wife.

Funny anecdote: my light and life convinced me not too long ago to have my hearing tested after one too many episodes of my responding "what?" to her. Turns out those hundreds of hours in turboprops did result in a notch which, indeed, fits the frequency range where her voice goes.

Vindicated! :Beer:

Rad

Blues Newbie
The normal male pattern of hearing loss with age is in the speaking range for women and children, tiz true.

I have profound loss in one ear that is in all likelihood the result of a reverse block on a scuba diving trip years ago and the common age related loss in the other.

What nags at me the most is wondering what normal hearing people actually hear regarding the guitar/amp tones I select. This is because I can change that tone just by adjusting my hearing aids volume.

There are some new aids out that allow the user to adjust the things like bass and treble via their smart phone. I’m going to check them out but I’m not sure I want another thing to start fiddling with regarding tone.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues

LOL You can always shut them off... or claim that your batteries were low! Maybe they can add a 'Selective Hearing' mode to them!