PERFECT GUITAR INSTRUCTION

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Hi. I’m not new to BGU, but it’s been a while. I’ve been on a sabbatical trying to find the perfect guitar instruction method that would end with me finding out all the secrets to playing guitar. I’ve tried courses, DVD’s, Skype lessons, Paid website subscriptions, free website subscriptions, YouTube, and blah blah blah... I have yet to find a
course curriculum designed to take a student in a logical progression through the topics an aspiring guitarists needs to learn to play blues and rock guitar. Then I started looking at all of the courses I currently own and sadly have yet to complete and in some instances even begin. I kept coming
back to the BGU courses...I remembered that the BGU course was set up in a logical progression of topics with goals and objectives to complete before moving on. I think I discontinued this approach because I didn’t feel like I was learning very much about Guitar Theory...so off I went to find the secret. I’m beginning to wonder if maybe I should just work through these courses in a step by step manner and see what happens. It can’t be any worse than what I’ve been doing the last year or so. I’m just not sure. After 10 years learning I would have expected to be a lot farther along.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I think I discontinued this approach because I didn’t feel like I was learning very much about Guitar Theory
I've heard Griff mention that he only includes just enough theory to let you know what you're doing, but doesn't get very deeply into it in the playing courses like BGU. My recommendation is to get BGU and work through it. If you get well into that one and want to delve more into the theory side, then supplement with his GTMU course. BGU will give you the how's and surface why's (this is an E9 and this is why it's called that). GTMU will give you the deeper why's (if you want to build your own E9 chord, this is how you do it, and this is what differentiates it from an E2). Use the two of those courses in tandem, and I think you'll end up where you're wanting to go.

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Thanks for the reply’s. I do like the simplicity in the BGU courses...I think I’ll incorporate BGU 2.0 into my daily practice. And continue learning my favorite songs.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I think the BGU 2 course is great but needs to be supplemented with regular daily other stuff.

Scale work on a couple major patterns and at least one minor scale pattern. Pentatonic scales all 5 of the boxes these have to get automatic. Triplets up and down box 1 2 and 5 ... chord changes etc.

Some strumming work on songs you like. Some fun time.

Everyone is different but to me the courses should not be more than 25 to maybe 50 percent of your practicing.

Once you get into like 10 / 11 of BGU try playing along at speed blues songs you like. Slow them down if needed at first.

Just my opinion.

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
I think the BGU 2 course is great but needs to be supplemented with regular daily other stuff.

Scale work on a couple major patterns and at least one minor scale pattern. Pentatonic scales all 5 of the boxes these have to get automatic. Triplets up and down box 1 2 and 5 ... chord changes etc.

Some strumming work on songs you like. Some fun time.

Everyone is different but to me the courses should not be more than 25 to maybe 50 percent of your practicing.

Once you get into like 10 / 11 of BGU try playing along at speed blues songs you like. Slow them down if needed at first.

Just my opinion.
Yeah. That’s the stuff that’s not so easy to find instruction for. I know Griff has other courses that teach those things but everyone says BGU will teach you all you really need to play the blues...

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Yeah. That’s the stuff that’s not so easy to find instruction for. I know Griff has other courses that teach those things but everyone says BGU will teach you all you really need to play the blues...

Well all of us that are learning to play and play better are also responsible for structuring our learning right?

So one has to mix things together from various parts and pieces to get an optimal or even just ok ish practice plan.

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Well all of us that are learning to play and play better are also responsible for structuring our learning right?

So one has to mix things together from various parts and pieces to get an optimal or even just ok ish practice plan.

I agree. It has taken me 10 rather frustrating years to figure that out. I recently decided that most of the things I need to learn are taught here in the BGU course curriculum and I even own most of the courses. It’s up to me to learn the material I need. I’ve been searching for a paint by numbers approach to guitar that tells you exactly all that you need to know and in the exact order you need to do it and when you have completed you will be able to play Voodoo Chile and Little Wing... well you might have the skills after completing the instruction course but you still have to go out and learn Voodoo Chile and Little Wing!!!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Hendrix could play it too

Monterey. Around 4:30 is where the guitar burning began

I saw him play this around 1969 in Washington DC. Are You Experienced was out, but we weren't prepared for this.

Last edited: