Using my Mustang III amp for vocals?

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Band practice is anywhere from 35 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic and which band member hosts.

Now that I have an electronic drum set that I can run into my bass amp, I decided to host a band practice in my basement and let everyone else drive for once.

But I don't have a PA for vocals, although I do have mics (SM58 clones) and stands.

So I was thinking about putting an amp on a countertop. I have a Mustang I, a Mustang III, a Nace Pro18, and a Monoprice 15W to chose from (well and a couple other toys too)

Since guitars frequencies aren't voice, I'm hoping I might be able to set my Mustang III settings to something voice friendly, or even put my 11R in front of it if needed.

Anyone ever tried those shennanigans?
How should EQ things or even pre-process the signal? Only our female singer will attend this practice, the other guy is out that day and the reason we are not practicing at his house.

My wife's answer to the suggestion I should get a PA system was... well... NO!

artyman

Fareham UK
I've tried putting a mike through the aux input on my Mustang, though it needed a signal boost for which I used a pedal, didn't sound too bad using one of my presets. Fender 65 with some added chorus. I would have thought that for a practice it isn't critical in any case.

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
I've heard bass amps are good for running vocals through. Sounds like yours is gonna be busy though.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
I've heard bass amps are good for running vocals through. Sounds like yours is gonna be busy though.

that surprises me but I can give it a try. My Fender Rumble 500 has a switchable "horn" for highs, and it makes a huge difference when running the electronic drumset trhough it, otherwise the high hat and ride ar every muted. Myabe it would help vocals too.
as long as I have a mixer in front of it to balance it all, it might not be bad to have multiple things running through it.

artyman, I never thought of using the AUX input. Thanks for the suggestion.

dvs

Green Mountain Blues
If you have a mixer, run the mic through that and take the monitor or (unpowered) mains output of the mixer into the aux input of the Mustang or the Rumble. Aux input should be flat response, unaffected by amp settings (except master volume). Use the mixer for EQ on the vocals.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have a preset on my Mustang III named "VOCAL". It is an ultra clean preset of a Fender Twin, all of the EQ at high noon (flat), speaker simulation turned OFF. I have used it for singing in the VJR and it worked just fine. But you might have a problem with feedback if you put it up on a counter and facing the mic.

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
For the best results, you will need some kind of mic pre. DVS's suggestion is spot on.

The best suggestion is to get an inexpensive PA. Run your electric drums through it as well. That way you get some of highs from the cymbals that your bass amp doesn't handle as well. Maybe even one that has some built in effects so the singer can get a little reverb.