Your constructive criticism is appreciated

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I took me quite a while to figure out if I record myself and listen, it is very helpful. And depressing:(. I've been taking some private lessons with an instructor and have to send him periodic recordings of myself. That has just reinforced this knowledge. As aware as I am how helpful it is I need to do it more often.

I am finishing up exercise 4-1 and recorded it. I decided "why not?" I am posting it here for your critique. Your suggestions, criticisms, comments, observations are appreciated. I am aware that on at least two occasions I was late on a chord change.

Maybe this will prompt some others working SARM to do the same. Besides, there hasn't been a post in this subforum since last year!

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Wow Ron, you have really come a long way! Awesome! I think you're ready for the BGU NE jam in October. Come play with us!

My observation:
The chords are clean and clear.
The tempo is pretty much there, needs a bit of tweaking and you've already mentioned some of the chord changes.

My suggestion:
It comes across to me that your stutters on the chord changes are from reading the book while playing. Is that true?
If so I think you're really already there and memorizing the piece will allow you to concentrate on making music rather than reading music. If not, and you're playing from memory, then it will smooth itself out over time as you play it more.

Oh, and kudos on counting out loud where you need to be precise with the timing, Griff would be proud :Beer:
Great job!

Eric

matonanjin

Eric,
Thank you for taking the time to look at this and to comment. I value and appreciate your opinion.
Ron

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Ron
Nice job... nice guitar too! As already mentioned, I agree the timing and tempo are good.

The only thing I would add... nitpicking... is that on a couple of chords your fingers could be a little closer to the frets. I only mention it because you were asking for comments... other than that... good job!

Is that a Keepin the blues alive shirt....

matonanjin

Chris, thank you to you as well. I'll try and remember about the fingers closer to the frets.
The guitar is a 1972 Gibson 325.
The shirt is not from the Keeping the Blues Alive Cruise. Not exactly. We bought it somewhere, probably one of the ports, while on the cruise one of the previous years. It says, "Cruisin' the Caribbean".