Week 1 drums

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I waas curious to see, since I decided to take up drums, just for kicks, how much I could progress before my 51st birthday in April.

I went to one lesson, at first liked the instructor, then overheard him speaking to another student and decided no, looked at a bunch of online teachers, and finally decided 100% on little kids rock...an organization I have donated too before

So this is my first week, realistically, I only had three nights and 20 to 25 minutes a night to work on it, so dont expect much, the best advice I have heard, I believe, try not to be flashy and just try to be a basic beat machine on a looper

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Yes, it’s “Groove over Chops... always !” I have a T-shirt that says so :LOL:

Anyway, the advice is correct: Learn the “money beat” (kick on 1 & 3, snare on 2 & 4, 8th notes on the hi-hat). Next some easy and simple (half measure-) fills to be used when going from verse to chorus and back. This will be enough for about 80 % of all songs. No flashy things needed :whistle:

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I think you're on the right track. It sounds to me like the actual hit on the kick drum is a bit behind the beat. You need to start moving your foot early in anticipation of the beat.

Can you get a"closed" Hi-hat sound on that kit?

I would suggest initially working on the kick rather than "fills" on the other drums. That is where you will link up with the rhythm in the bass.

For example, play the bolded notes

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc

When you get into shuffle beats you will be playing "swing eighths" or triplets on the hi hat. Any "ands" on the kick will also be in the shuffle feel.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I think you're on the right track. It sounds to me like the actual hit on the kick drum is a bit behind the beat. You need to start moving your foot early in anticipation of the beat.

Can you get a"closed" Hi-hat sound on that kit?

I would suggest initially working on the kick rather than "fills" on the other drums. That is where you will link up with the rhythm in the bass.

For example, play the bolded notes

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & etc

When you get into shuffle beats you will be playing "swing eighths" or triplets on the hi hat. Any "ands" on the kick will also be in the shuffle feel.

It does have a hi hat pedal......I just dont touch as the online instruction hasnt gone to it yet, I noticed in the ore rock oriented ones it does

Momantai

Red nose, red guitar
Yep ! Most drummers hold their hihats closed (foot heavy on the pedal), especially rockers. Otherwise the hihat sounds like a “normal” cymbal and that’s not what you want while playing 1/8 notes in “the money beat”.
Jazz drummers often like to use the hihat as “time keeper” just using their left foot on 1/4 or 1/8 notes. Like Shrieve does most of his solo. His hihat stand rocks dangerously though !

Last edited:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I can honestly say, for $249, this electronic kit is so much fun, plus I can use headphones and such with it, unlike an acoustic kit, where the neighbors get mad at 2am

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Yea, keep it closed while doing the "money beat". You can also close and release after hitting it, or hit it open and then close it (more common)