Electric Guitars Adding 4 push/pull controls to gibson 2017 tribute hp

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
So I have been thinking for a while about making a change. My 2017 LP tribute HP is just a gorgeous guitar and has the 57 / 57+ pickup combination that I love. However it had no capabilities of switching anything it comes out of the box with ( of course ) the gibson circuit board quick connect but no push pull capabilities.

I had been checking out some of the various options to give it more flexibility. ( OK I am spoiled by my other gibson HP models ). I know lots of people hate the circuit board thing and want to rip all that out and go old school.

But anyhow on eBay I had been looking at some of the pulled out LP circuit boards that had the push pull pots ( and maybe even DIP switches ). Yikes some of the prices are crazy.

About 10 days ago I found on eBay a "parts only" ( so it was not guaranteed to work as a unit ) LP 4 push/pull circuit board including shipping I paid 43 bucks. It does not have the DIP switches.

I put it in this morning. Dang those quick connect things are hard to deal with between big fingers and bad eyesight but still not horrible doing the change between old circuit board and new.

The replacement one gives me push/pull on the two volumes ( so gives coil tap on either pickup or both when up ). It gives me phase switch ( to out of phase ) on the neck tone when up. ( Bridge tone up gives pure bypass ).

I'm really happy with this change. I have been playing along with a bunch of the early Peter Green Fleetwood Mac blues numbers. I am no Peter Green unfortunately but a wanna be certainly.

I guess I should include a picture of my guitar but yikes it looks the same! I'm not trying to push fleabay or any specific seller but message me if anyone wants to know where I found this the seller has a couple more of these available I think. Oh yeah also that's the Boss Katana Air bluetooth adapter plugged in at the bottom.

E04CF556-8D63-48C0-AA96-CA337E371788.jpeg

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
You are absolutely correct about one thing John. That is a gorgeous guitar!!

It's great you really like your new switching capabilities. I am generally pretty old school about guitars and like my Gibson's with humbuckers to be humbuckers. And then with my Flying V Traditional Pro I thought I would try a little switching with the push pull knobs....... Turns out I really like the neck pup switched to single coil with the lead pup as a humbucker and the switch selector in the middle pulling from both pups. It's a great tone. Enjoy your guitar for a long time!! :Beer:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
Gorgeous guitar. Nice job upgrading it!

There are deals on ebay. It seems like everything I buy goes for too much $$, and every thing I sell goes real cheap!

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Thanks everyone for the nice words about my axe.

Lefty here is a youtube demo of a good player on a LP demoing the out of phase stuff ( better than I can demo it ). It's not really long at all but shows a good overview of the different sounds you can get. He is playing it pretty clean here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge5WeJF9EVU

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
WoW Sounds like you have all kinds of options available to you now... and you still have your favorite pickups in place. Sweet deal!

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Very nice , but those pickups likely have a different sound. A demo of yours would be nice. :)

Does that wiring give you the Jimmy Page 21 wiring?

Last edited:

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
Very nice , but those pickups likely have a different sound. A demo of your would be nice. :)

Yeah I dunno I don't think there's going to be much difference. I like to jam against the early Fleetwood Mac Peter Green stuff not very clean.

Let me get back tomorrow I will do a short burst in "brown" showing how different it sounds normal versus out of phase.

To me it's a LP with same pickups pretty much as Peter Green had and Gibson has an "out of phase" option and ( while obviously I can't play like Peter Green ) gives much of the same sound and vibe as his guitar used to have. Well he didn't have it too long did he? Theres some really interesting history on his guitar.

Let me dig up a couple links on the history of his axe and ok sure I will give a small demo on how mine sounds.

The out of phase push pull option has been available on many LP models ( standard etc ) for like a number of years now this is not anything new here. It took a little while but it is on the latest HP SG models also as far as I know.

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
I actually have a push/pull board from my LP Studio that I'm not using. I replaced the 490/498 pickups that came with it with the 2-conductor versions of the 57 and 57+ pickups you have and went to 50's wiring with new pots and capacitors. Didn't know there was much of a market for the boards.

That's a beautiful LP. How do you like the Boss wireless?

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
OK sorry getting back to this thread.

MikeR yeah I like the Boss Katana air system a whole lot. Extremely handy to have upstairs to practice plus it's battery powered and you can lug it anywhere. Built in stereo speakers and bluetooth connection for both the guitar transmitter and your ( iPhone / computer / etc ). So easy to play along with tunes on your iPhone. Only con about upstairs wife usually has me playing on headphones but nothing to do with the air. ( Downstairs there is the Boss Artist 100 in the basement but heck that thing gets loud at 1/2 watt ).

Lefty here is a small sample of using phase shift. Three A7s on clean vol and tone all the way up then three more of them with the phase shift pulled up. Clearly a different sound. So far I am really liking having that option available.

https://soundcloud.com/user-193756037/demo

Someone else asked if this is the same phase shift that Jimmy Page LPs use. I dunno I think similar ish but maybe some other circuitry also involved for that?

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
OK I have installed two of these now on Gibson LPs and they are working great.

The seller here I have no connection to except that I have now bought three of these. ( One as a spare ). The seller notes that these are parts only and that they may not work as a unit. That's not my experience both of the first two work flawlessly.

There are people selling these on eBay for way more than 100 dollars each. ( Some of them 200 range ).

At 40 bucks plus a couple of dollars shipping these may be worth checking out for anyone with an LP that wants to try what current LP standards are now shipping with ( that includes 4 push pulls / coil tapping on volume knobs / phase shift / direct output ).

Maybe we do not allow direct links to eBay sellers if so I apologize and admin please let me know.

Seems way easier than all that wiring etc noted in the post from crossroads. I do not think this will work for an Epiphone LP I think these are Gibson LP options only. Caveat Emptor.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Gibson-Qui...=item4690476bee:g:fP0AAOSwOShcRKAY:rk:21:pf:0

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Maybe I should just shut up and keep my two bits out of this, but ...
I find that coil splits and phase shift on humbuckers are rather useless things that I just never use. Have never been a fan of out of phase, and no humbucker actually sounds like a single coil when split. Direct out can be had by simply using no-load tone pots. That, I DO use. All of my guitars have that. Installing pull-up coil splits is dirt simple and only requires a couple of pull-up pots. Anyway, everything except the out of phase option can be had very easily without the need for any gee-whiz gizmos.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
You are absolutely correct about one thing John. That is a gorgeous guitar!!

It's great you really like your new switching capabilities. I am generally pretty old school about guitars and like my Gibson's with humbuckers to be humbuckers. And then with my Flying V Traditional Pro I thought I would try a little switching with the push pull knobs....... Turns out I really like the neck pup switched to single coil with the lead pup as a humbucker and the switch selector in the middle pulling from both pups. It's a great tone. Enjoy your guitar for a long time!! :Beer:

For my Gibby 339 I tend to like the tone best with the neck humbucker's coils in parallel, and the bridge one in series, with both of them active—much like your setup. I bring the bridge one in with the tone set high (8+) with middling volume to add depth and some chime to the neck one.

I'm using the Triple Shot pickup rings so I can split them to either coil or play both coils series or parallel. I personally like the parallel tone better than either split but YMMV.

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I find that coil splits and phase shift on humbuckers are rather useless things that I just never use.

Hey each to their own. I am a ( really ) senior computer geek so I like tech with tweaks and being able to configure things.

I am a big fan of the Peter Green sound from the real early Fleetwood Mac albums. Rock and loud aggressive blues. Everyone's different.

My SG has DIP switches that you can choose between coil tap ( the default ) and coil split. For me the coil tap is a better option than split. My LPs both do coil tap ( not split ) on the push pulls.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My SG has DIP switches that you can choose between coil tap ( the default ) and coil split. For me the coil tap is a better option than split. My LPs both do coil tap ( not split ) on the push pulls.

My Spincaster (home built Strat style) has PC boards on every pot for dialing in all kinds of variations. Some folks have conniptions about PCB and DIP switch innards in guitars. I say go for what works for you! :Beer:

CVTOT

Blues Newbie
I recently bought the electronics from a 2013 Les Paul Traditional Pro II which has the 10db boost toggle switch. Today I dropped off my Epi Les Paul to have the board from the Pro II put in.