Assembly Required Project

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
In the VJR, I posted the bass, drums and Stratocaster for a backing track and then used the first 12 bars of my 335 solo from this video. It was more of a technical exercise (audio and video editing) than a music project. Having said that, I would be lying if I said I wasn't pleased with the results, both technically and musically. For your dining and dancing pleasure, here it is, warts and all. The only thing on this recording that isn't me is the drums.

https://youtu.be/4mOVx7xmJpo

Last edited:

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Well that was really good. But a keyboard needs two hands. :ROFLMAO:
I left it at one because I didn't want it to sound too busy. It's actually more difficult for me to just play one hand. Without both in use, timing is more of an issue.

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Seriously, that was fabulous!! Also really enjoyed the one handed piano playing!! You have some real talent!! keep em coming...

p.s. you have a roll duck tape coming your way for those ripped cargo shorts... Should get a few more good years out of them... :)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
p.s. you have a roll duck tape coming your way for those ripped cargo shorts... Should get a few more good years out of them...
You noticed that?
The guitar tracks were recorded at one shot and the piano was recorded the next morning, right after the barn chores. I tore those pants open on a sharp corner of my manure spreader just before I finished chores. Since I wasn't going out that day, I didn't change out of them.

I did the bass track two or three times and I think I got the wrong video for it. Since I finished it, I think I synced the wrong bass video to the audio. It looks like I'm perfectly in sync at some points and there are other points where my fingers are definitely not playing what is heard on the recording. The two guitar tracks were done in one shot, as was the piano, so they are all sync'ed up properly.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
I would be very interested in a description of the process that you used to create this.

Audio:
The mechanics of it are actually very simple. I started with the base drum track as a backing track. In my DAW software (I use Cubase, but any DAW will do this pretty easily), I created a track for bass and armed it to record.
Recorded the bass track.
Created a new track for the rhythm guitar. Recorded that.
Created a new track for the lead guitar. Recorded it.
The piano was slightly different in that it was a MIDI track and I used a synth plug-in within Cubase, but otherwise the same thing.
Mixdown Audio for the final product.

Video is just as easy.
Recorded each video track as I played it, so I ended up with 4 separate video recordings.
The video software I use (Magix Movie Studio Platinum 15) lets me load all video recording on their own track along one timeline. Using their Picture-in-picture feature on each video, I resized the windows and placed them as you see in the final video. Loaded the mixed audio track.
The only part that takes any real time is manually syncing the videos. Each video recording also has an audio recording that is perfectly synced to the video from the mics built-in to the camera. The audio quality stinks, but it works very well for sync'ing to the mixed audio. Once everything is synchronized, I mute the audio from the cameras, Do a simultaneous fade-in on all videos at the beginning and a similar fade-out at the end. Render and done!

The bass and guitar parts were all done through the Eleven Rack directly into Cubase. The amp model for the guitars is a Mesa Boogie, through a 4x12 Greenback cabinet into a condenser mic (I forget which one). The bass was through an Ampeg SVT emulation with an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet and the same condenser mic. The piano is a MIDI input directly to Cubase, using Cubase's Halion synth plug-in. I don't remember the exact patch I used, but it was based on a Fender Rhodes studio 88.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Very cool - thanks for the description.
That Ampeg SVT emulation in the 11R is pretty highly regarded for bass I believe.
When I grow up and learn to play I'd like to try something like that. :)

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Very cool - thanks for the description.
That Ampeg SVT emulation in the 11R is pretty highly regarded for bass I believe.
When I grow up and learn to play I'd like to try something like that. :)

I want to do more of these this year. It forces me to practice bass, rhythm and lead (and maybe the keys a little bit). It's also a hell of a lot of fun. I need to get something to assemble drum tracks. There's actually a drum plug-in with Cubase. If I took a little time it shouldn't be that hard to learn.

Blackbelt

Blues Newbie
Audio:
The mechanics of it are actually very simple. I started with the base drum track as a backing track. In my DAW software (I use Cubase, but any DAW will do this pretty easily), I created a track for bass and armed it to record.
Recorded the bass track.
Created a new track for the rhythm guitar. Recorded that.
Created a new track for the lead guitar. Recorded it.
The piano was slightly different in that it was a MIDI track and I used a synth plug-in within Cubase, but otherwise the same thing.
Mixdown Audio for the final product.

Video is just as easy.
Recorded each video track as I played it, so I ended up with 4 separate video recordings.
The video software I use (Magix Movie Studio Platinum 15) lets me load all video recording on their own track along one timeline. Using their Picture-in-picture feature on each video, I resized the windows and placed them as you see in the final video. Loaded the mixed audio track.
The only part that takes any real time is manually syncing the videos. Each video recording also has an audio recording that is perfectly synced to the video from the mics built-in to the camera. The audio quality stinks, but it works very well for sync'ing to the mixed audio. Once everything is synchronized, I mute the audio from the cameras, Do a simultaneous fade-in on all videos at the beginning and a similar fade-out at the end. Render and done!

The bass and guitar parts were all done through the Eleven Rack directly into Cubase. The amp model for the guitars is a Mesa Boogie, through a 4x12 Greenback cabinet into a condenser mic (I forget which one). The bass was through an Ampeg SVT emulation with an Ampeg 8x10 cabinet and the same condenser mic. The piano is a MIDI input directly to Cubase, using Cubase's Halion synth plug-in. I don't remember the exact patch I used, but it was based on a Fender Rhodes studio 88.

Lloyd, your description really helps! Really enjoyed it.

Gene

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Just heard it Papa. Good stuff. I guess I shouldn't be surprised you could play some keys.
That was enoyable. Kudos!