Multi Effects Pedal

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I got a BOSS ME80 and still have it. I like it because all the controls are knobs on the top so it’s as easy to set up as a pedal board.

Just found one used for $199, so I thought I'd take a look. My price point for experimentation is usually lower, but I booked a couple of gigs and have promising leads on two other venues, so....

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
All Great Tips and Pointers from you guys. It's so great having all the experience here from you guys that have been there and done that to help me from screwing up. I appreciate all of your feedback.

Norfolk Bill

norfolk uk, just knoodling along
hardly a lower cost option though :),,,thats why nobody suggested the top end stuff,,again the hx has no amp models and i was under the impression the OP wanted that option to get the tones for certain songs,,,though it does look good for just effects

ChrisG

Blues Newbie
Dan is smarter than he looks - ducking and running! :D - so give his recommendation serious consideration.

As one of the few flying the Fractal flag around here, I'd get kicked in the nuts if I didn't also suggest the AX8: https://www.fractalaudio.com/ax8-amp-modeler-multi-effects/

Kevin

Yeah. I know there is a lot of high end stuff out there that would more than serve my needs and probably sound amazing. I have even messed around with several of the Line 6 pedals and the Boss GT stuff and although I was able to dial in some good tones, I found them to be really complicated and over my head. I also hate how Boss doesn’t offer power supplies with their more affordable boxes...that just drives me crazy.. I have a couple of friends that use Helix Pedals and they just love them so I know they are good. However, I’m not willing to spend that kind of dough on one at this time. I’m looking for simple, affordable and with decent tone capability. So far the Zoom stuff looks decent. I’m going to demo one tomorrow and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

Cleotis

Boiled Eggs Rock
I've a got a G3Xn in the loop of my Mesa Mark 5 rig and a G3n in the loop of the JVM410HJS rig. It is nice that Zoom provides a power supply in the box. The G3n is cheap at $150. The sound of effects, imo, are just OK. The reverb(s) and delay(s) are certainly plenty good enough. The built-in Throttle Box doesn't sound like a real Throttle box. Not all the effects have been tried. But if all you need is reverb and delay, you can save some cash with the G3n and have something to play with. One of the amp models sounded great. Forgot which one though.

Norfolk Bill

Like anything its all a bit of a minefield,,depending on so much ie what sort of space you have on your pedal board, what do you actually need, be it effects or amp models and effects,,,the line6 M series M5,M9 and 13 have been a staple on many pro boards, Griff has an M13,,
the M5 especially is seen on many but that can only produce one effect at a time,,,switching to another can be a bit of a pain,,,i used to have an M9 but two big,,,got an M5 but i needed to string several effects together,,,,,best cheap solution? the G3nx ,,,,

The effects are just as good and easy to set up as the line6, though as i mentioned before due to the lack of outputs you cannot use the 4 cable method so if you want to use the drive pedal models it has to run into the front end of your amp thus putting modulation etc through the front as well,,

I have tried it using the amp models etc straight into the effects loop return just using the power amp and it does sound pretty good

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Chris, I hope you find something that works for you! I had one of these years ago.
https://www.ebay.com/i/291982533265?chn=ps
Had a lot of fun with it, and it really didn't sound bad at all. It is plastic, pretty simple, doesn't allow you to stomp different effects on and off, but does offer a way to save different patches with entirely different sounds / effects. They don't make them any more. But for a mere $40.00 might surprise you with what it can do..

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Like anything its all a bit of a minefield,,depending on so much ie what sort of space you have on your pedal board, what do you actually need, be it effects or amp models and effects,,,the line6 M series M5,M9 and 13 have been a staple on many pro boards, Griff has an M13,,
the M5 especially is seen on many but that can only produce one effect at a time,,,switching to another can be a bit of a pain,,,i used to have an M9 but two big,,,got an M5 but i needed to string several effects together,,,,,best cheap solution? the G3nx ,,,,

The effects are just as good and easy to set up as the line6, though as i mentioned before due to the lack of outputs you cannot use the 4 cable method so if you want to use the drive pedal models it has to run into the front end of your amp thus putting modulation etc through the front as well,,

I have tried it using the amp models etc straight into the effects loop return just using the power amp and it does sound pretty good
A very good synopsis Bill.
Ultimately each person needs to decide what works best for themself based on acceptable quality of sound, combination of features, suitability / flexibility for their particular use case, and budget. There will always be something better, something newer, and something more expensive to choose from. Fortunately, it's not a marriage - with effects, you can easily trade for something else if you find your first, second, third, fourth, or fifth choice turned out not to be an ideal match!

Norfolk Bill

But at the end of the day your getting lets say 100 perfectly usable effects that nobody watching a band in an audience would tell the difference between that and one effects pedal costing maybe the same money as the 100 you have avaiable,for very little money

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
The 4 switch pedal on the Mustang will let you turn effects on and off, then you can use the 2 switch pedal for switching effects.
I used to do that quite a bit, set a patch for the entire song but maybe turn the OD off until the solo.

My biggest complaint about the Mustang is that it only lets you use one effect of one type. No stacking distortions or delays, and if you want a compressor, you can't add a distortion.

It's good to discover and learn what effects you like as someone mentioned, but is more limited than some other models (that also cost more and don't have the amp included).

My local used store had a Mustang Floor which is basically the effects of the Mustang v1 but without the amp. Those can be pretty cheap as a starter model.

kestrou

Blooze Noobie
Fortunately, it's not a marriage - with effects, you can easily trade for something else if you find your first, second, third, fourth, or fifth choice turned out not to be an ideal match!

What a coincidence...

I’m currently shopping for my fifth...

Marriage! :)

Kevin

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Heh. Was it Jeff Goldblum's character in the first Jurassic Park who said he was always on the lookout for his next ex? ;)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
My local instructor has a Zoom G9.2 running into his amp; just noticed the make and model tonight. Don't think you can get that one any longer, except maybe on the used market. He likes it a lot, and I'm impressed by the tone (though the Engl amp head and 4x12 speaker cab don't hurt).

Shodai

Blues Junior
What a coincidence...

I’m currently shopping for my fifth...

Marriage! :)

Kevin

Some people never learn...

Girlfriends are so much better than wife's, and I blame wedding cake. Wedding cake is a toxic substance that changes women, and it should be outlawed.

Here's what happens when a "girlfriend" becomes a wife, then eats wedding cake:

1. Married. Happiest day off her life.

2. Eats wedding cake.

3. Wedding cake causes her to lose 95% of her sex drive.

4. Wedding cake instantly changes her disposition.

Proof: smiles and takes a bite of wedding cake, then smashes the remainder in the grooms face... Sweet girl gone

5. Sets sights on half your stuff, and 3/4 of your money.

And you've done this 4 time's, eh?