Sticky for Music Movies/Documentaries

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Could we create a sticky for Music Movies/Documentaries?

I'll throw a few out

Hired Gun Netflix Doc about Studio Musicians
The Wrecking Crew On Video
Jaco - The Jaco Pastorius Story Netflix
The Song Remains the Same Led Zep 1977
Ghost Blues The Rory Gallagher Story
Jimi Plays Berkley
Muscle Shoals
Hail Hail Rock and Roll Chuck Berry Video
Under the Influence Keith Richards Netfflix
Crossfire Hurricane Stones Netflix
Gimme Shelter Stones Altamont Video

More to Come

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
No list would be complete without Sound City. It's mostly Dave Grohl's homage to the Neve board that was used at that studio, but is definitely worth the watch. Currently on Amazon streaming.

Soundbreaking - a short series I've heard that PBS did that explores the evolution of the recording industry (or something like that). I haven't actually seen this one, but I've got a couple of musician buddies who say that it's a great series. Just spotted it on Hulu, so I'll probably start on it over the holidays.

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
This Might Get Loud. Jimmy Page, The Edge and Jack White discuss guitar, influences and sound pursuits. I loved it. I think its on Amazon Prime video now.

Shodai

Blues Junior
20 Feet from Stardom

Great documentary about the back up singers that were on virtually all of the big hits back in the 60s and 70s

+1 on Muscle Shoals. Probably my favorite music documentary.

Hired Guns was good too... Even my wife liked it!

steve w

Nottinghamshire, UK
Sidemen: The Long Road to Glory
Yesterday, I set this to record next week on Sky Arts here in the Uk. Also on next week are BB King Life of Riley (which I have watched before) and BB King On The Road, recording those also.

Eric B

Blues Newbie
Nowhere Boy, if you get nostalgic about the early life of John Lennon

The Music Never Stopped, if you get teary from the music of the Grateful Dead

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
Here's a few more:

"Pink Floyd: Which One's Pink?"
"Pink Floyd: The Story of Wish You We're Here".
"Eric Clapton: Life In Twelve Bars"
"Jeff Beck: Still On The Run".
"Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage".
"David Gilmour: Wider Horizons".
"The Strat Pack".

Last edited:

gpower

Blues Junior
Haven't seen "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" mentioned. The Martin Scorcese Present the Blues series is a great set too.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Next Tuesday night I am going to a private screening of Rumble. Indians that Rocked the World at this intimate, little theatre here in Omaha. I have already seen it but this should be fum.

If you haven't seen it, "Rumble" is a reallly interesting documentary, "Focusing on music icons like Link Wray, Jimi Hendrix, Buffy Sainte-Marie, Charley Patton, Mildred Bailey, Jesse Ed Davis, Robbie Robertson, and Randy Castillo, RUMBLE: The Indians Who Rocked the World shows how these pioneering Native American musicians helped shape the soundtracks of our lives."

This showing is going to be partially sponsored by Larry Dunn, stage name Lash Larue, a friend of mine who puts on a concert every year to get toys to take to underpriveledged kids on the Pine Ridge Reservation. And by Mato Nanjin, the frontman for the blues group Indigenous, and member of Experience Hendrix

Plus I have alternate motives. Larry is a really good luthier, in addition to a great guitarist, and I'm taking a couple guitars for him to work on.

Shodai

Blues Junior
Crossroads suggested I put this here. If you have Amazon Prime, they have some documentaries that are available, and some quite interesting:

Blues & the Alligator - about the history of the Chicago Blues label Alligator Records

Blood Frets and Tears - about some of he more gifted and influencial guitar players throughout history

Guitar Legends: Heros of Tone - guitar gods discussion,...dare I say it... What tone means and what good tone is.

Turn It Up! A Celebration of the Electric Guitar (hosted by Kevin Bacon) - interviews, performances, and discussion about the development of the electric guitar, it's influencial on modern music, and personal attachment people have with it.

In their suggestions if similar programs, there are about fifty or sixty more...

Note: the Turn It Up documentary had an interview with a collector in NH (Brian Fisher) who has over 2000 guitars... I really need to step up my game

MikeR

Guitar Challenged
Staff member
A couple of documentaries about some lesser known musicians. Two amazing stories!

Satan and Adam

Searching for Sugar Man