Topic Suggestion: Building backing tracks

dan5150

Shredding the Blues
Would love to see a topic or lesson on how you go about building backing tracks. In software. Without the aid of your awesome backing band. :)

For example, say you wanted to put together a "one man band" set where I play and sing guitar against backing tracks. How would you go about creating them?

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
Would love to see a topic or lesson on how you go about building backing tracks. In software. Without the aid of your awesome backing band. :)

For example, say you wanted to put together a "one man band" set where I play and sing guitar against backing tracks. How would you go about creating them?

Just my 2 cents... I buy them.
Unless you can play drums really well and play bass really well, they won't sound great.
I've used Guitar Pro to build those parts but it's all digital and doesn't sound as good as the real thing.
Plus it takes a LONG time, it's kinda fun, but I'd probably get more out of using that time to practice.

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Sounds like a great topic to me... I own EZDrummer but time and the learning curve have pretty much kept me from using it.

There are so many grooves to choose from, a big part of the problem is know WHAT groove to use... the next hurdle is where to put fills etc... I kind of feel like I need to learn how to play the drums in order to create a realistic drum track...

I recently got a nice looper [Line6 JM4] that I am trying to make use of too.

I know a great player who says..., "How can you have any pudding if you don't eat yer meat?!", [borrowed from Pink Floyd] with regards to making tracks... How can you take a solo if you haven't played the rhythm...! I can see the sense of that but still... a really good backing track can be very motivating... especially compared to a not so good home grown track/loop.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
@MikeS - Where do you buy your tracks from?

- Griff for tracks to jam with (29 blues jam tracks, 5x5 Blues Jam Tracks, Ultimate Blues Jam Tracks, Ultimate Blues Jam Tracks 2) or just the tracks from lessons.
- Karaokeversion.com for songs