When to move on.

Bob630

Blues Newbe
I am sure this has been asked before, I am too lazy to go searching. So I'll ask, how proficient should one be with a lesson before going to the next one.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Speaking for myself, I move on when I can play all of a lesson with no consistently reoccurring mistakes - in time, even though it may be slower. When it sounds like music. Then I start the next lesson and play the previous ones every time I practice. This way I start learning the next lesson while I'm getting better with the previous ones. The previous ones keep getting easier and I finally get them right.

It's important to get good command of the techniques in each lesson. Griff builds on previous lessons and it's important to master them fairly well so I don't find myself further along lacking important technique or understanding that I have to go back and learn them again. I've been in that position before and will probably be in it again but I try to avoid it. One thing I try not to do is gain a robotic mastery without understanding what I'm doing. This may be especially true for BBG as it will serve as a foundation for everything that you learn after.

I think I may take too long to move through the lessons but that's how I do it.

See you down the road! :thumbup:

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Working on Hideaway Blues this afternoon and my fingers just seemed to have a mind of their own, they just would not do what my brain wanted. I guess some days can be like that.

HotLks

I hear you Bob. Go real slow. Slow it down until your fingers go where their supposed to go. Do it over and over until you nail it. Then you can bump it up a notch. Give yourself a chance. Do this one measure at a time until you get it. Then do the next one. After you get them both, put them together. I just worked on that one yesterday. I couldn't hear how it went together at first. I listened to it more times than I can count and then started it like I just described. I'm doing much better now.

You don't want to rush it. The last thing you need is to do the same mistakes over and over again. You brain and your nervous system will remember the mistakes and get used to doing things wrong. Then you'll have another problem to solve.

Don't rush it. You may not have these skills yet. That's why your learning and practicing. It will come.

I'm doing this course with my acoustic and the heavier strings. I'm also learning it finger style. Almost like starting guitar over again. Sore fingers and all. But I know success will come. It just takes time on the guitar and doing the exercises correctly.

Last edited:

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Good advice from HotLks, your muscle memory will kick in much faster going slow and deliberate!

Bob630

Blues Newbe
Great words of wisdom, that's why I really like this site. You are absolutely right, 1 or 2 measures at a time. Will doing that tomorrow.

WanaBClapton

Blues Newbie
Anyone else still having some trouble with the Full Out Blues lesson? I have been learning for awhile and I generally know something well within a week. This lesson is different for some reason. I get it, I can read and play it pretty well, but get stuck on the B7 chord. I am having trouble following Griff in the play along. It is a strange song in my opinion. No swing to it. Timing is different from what I am used to.

TwiddleJockey

If she asks - I found it in a garage sale.....
WBC - Oops! Inadvertently gave an opinion on this in your “introduce yourself” thread.

I found that one particularly clumnersome and kinda move on once I got what supposed to happen and why into my head, although not necessarily into my fingers.

TwiddleJockey

If she asks - I found it in a garage sale.....
For Bob 630 - Griff talks about getting it 80/90% right after a few days. Then move on - a tactic that has served me well in both learning and excuses! Don’t expect to get the last 10% before several months of occasionally playing it again.

WanaBClapton

Blues Newbie
Thanks everyone. I was just getting bored and frustrated with the lesson and need to move past it for my own sanity. I lve playong the licks. The call and response thing isn't lost on me. I guess I just need to be a little bit more excited about that particular bit of material. lol

HotLks

WanaBClapton -

Sorry I'm late to the party. Are you still having trouble with the B7? I had problems with that one when I was a teenager and had problems with it when I started up again. That chord became easy for me over time. I moved on and it seems that the things I learned to play after moving on helped me with the B7. One day I was surprised to discover that I could do it. In time I gained more fretting finger control. In "Full Out Blues" you'll notice that you should already have two fingers in place for the B7. Or should have. This leaves only two fingers to place to complete it.

Finger the B7. Look at how your ring and pinky fingers stack up in a row with your index and middle finger. If you approach the chord with economy of motion you stack your fingers in a row, close to the frets. Leave your finger on 1st fret string 5 when you play 2nd fret string 5. Finger the 1st fret on string 4 (it's just a lean away from where it is now) when you play 2nd fret on string 5. With your stacked ring and pinky fingers real CLOSE TO THE STRINGS fingering the chord while you pick string 5 is almost as simple as dropping them down the 1/4 inch or so right into place on strings 3 and 1.

Keep up the good work. I love BBG. I find it great playing on the porch material. There are many ways to add to these "simple" tunes.

Last edited:

WanaBClapton

Blues Newbie
WanaBClapton -

Sorry I'm late to the party. Are you still having trouble with the B7? I had problems with that one when I was a teenager and had problems with it when I started up again. That chord became easy for me over time. I moved on and it seems that the things I learned to play after moving on helped me with the B7. One day I was surprised to discover that I could do it. In time I gained more fretting finger control. In "Full Out Blues" you'll notice that you should already have two fingers in place for the B7. Or should have. This leaves only two fingers to place to complete it.

Finger the B7. Look at how your ring and pinky fingers stack up in a row with your index and middle finger. If you approach the chord with economy of motion you stack your fingers in a row, close to the frets. Leave your finger on 1st fret string 5 when you play 2nd fret string 5. Finger the 1st fret on string 4 (it's just a lean away from where it is now) when you play 2nd fret on string 5. With your stacked ring and pinky fingers real CLOSE TO THE STRINGS fingering the chord while you pick string 5 is almost as simple as dropping them down the 1/4 inch or so right into place on strings 3 and 1.

Keep up the good work. I love BBG. I find it great playing on the porch material. There are many ways to add to these "simple" tunes.

Thanks for the tips. I am beginning to see a few disconcerting things about this type of learning. There are pros and cons. I will start with the pros. Griff is a great instructor. It is fairly cheap. I can go back over lessons. He reminds me of a guitar teacher that I learned from in the past. Cons. By nature, it is a one size fits all type of experience. Griff doesn't know what I need to work on as an individual and I don't always know myself. Nobody is there to correct bad habits or show me the most efficient way to change chords. Having said all that, I would still standby Griff and his product. He makes it as personal as possible for the delivery method.

HotLks

It's good to hear you're thinking. It's true that we have to police our own bad habits. That's not easy. Many on this forum have rightly said that we need to clearly state our goals, what we want to achieve before we know how to proceed. It took me quite a while to do that and sometimes I have to revisit what exactly I want to accomplish when I start stagnating.

It's good to have you in the forum. Post often. Ask away. I've never been with a better bunch for helping each other out. Warts and all.