SWS & BGU Live: Easy and Fun way to memorize the notes on Fret Board

Tony Ludwig

Blues Junior
Guys,

Came back from BGU Live, what an experience...and I was one of the lucky guys who got to play with Griff using the 4 note pattern. Cool thing was it works even if you "wing" it . One of the "pros", Dave gave me helpful hint about hitting the note corresponding to the Chord you are about to play...So if playing in Key of A minor...Fret Board Pattern String 1: G A String 2: C D (the box pattern), starting on I Chord hit A. IV Chord hit D, V Chord hit E....no E in Pattern, ut-oh better know where it is based on D and based on A
...now here I think is the cool part....transition from one box to the other using notes E, D, C, to A...and your in another box....This has allowed me to work on a couple of ideas and learning multiple notes on a fret board in many places all at the same time...and it sounds good too...
and just like counting - call out the notes you are playing...amazing how much you learn at one time
just a thought to share....
thanks,
Tony

Larry H.

Mojo Enabled
I’m not clear on what you are telling me. I’m, hearing you say through the 1, 4, 5, start with the note that corresponds to the chord that is being played. Is that right? Sorry if I’m a bit dense on this.

Tony Ludwig

Blues Junior
yep..."noodle" around a bit, try starting and ending on the root note that corresponds with the chord, you may like the sound - more importantly you also start learning all the notes as well.

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
In Killer Blues Solos Made Easy, Griff explained it a little more. While the root now of the chord is always a solid choice, the b7 and the 3 of the chord (in that order) are better choices to grab on the changes. When changing back to the I, from the IV, grabbing the 3 and bending it up ½ step to the major 3 is a great choice. When changing from the I to the IV, the b7 is the "sweetest" note to grab. In the key off A, that would be the C which is the 2nd note on the A pentatonic minor scale. In the 4 Note Solo Pattern, that's the note under your 1st finger on the E string. The root note of the IV chord is under the 3rd finger on the high E string. When changing to the V chord, the b7 is D which is under the 3rd finger on the high E string. If using the left facing house pattern, the point of the house is the root note of the V chord.

Last edited:

Tony Ludwig

Blues Junior
In Kiley Bless Solos Made Easy, Griff expand it a little more. While the root now of the chord is always a solid choice, the b7 and the 3 of the chord (in that order) are better choices to grab on the changes. When changing back to the I, from the IV, grabbing the 3 and bending out up ½ step to the major 3 is a great choice. When changing from the I to the IV, the b7 is the "sweetest" note to grab. In the key off A, that would be the C which is the last nite on the A pentatonic minor scale. In the 4 Note Solo Pattern, that's the note under your 1st finger on the B string. The root more of the IV chord is under the 3rd finger on the high E string. When changing to the V chord, the only "sweet" option is the root note, which is under the 3rd finger on the high E string. If using the left facing house pattern, the point of the house is also the root note of the V chord.
David, appreciate it! totally understand and will give it a try, thanks for the explanation!

Dewesq55

Blues Newbie
Sorry for the typos. I went back and corrected them.
Ok, I realized that I screwed it all up. I went back and fixed it and I think I have it all straightened out. The b7 of the IV chord is the b3 of the minor pentatonic scale, which is under the 1st finger of the E string, not the B string in the 4 Note Solo Pattern. The b7 of the V chord is the 5th of the scale.

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
Thank you for what looks like a very helpful and simple addition to my practice sessions. Painless in fact.

See you down the road! :thumbup: