Dang D shape

Chief Rick

Struggling but Determined Intermediate Level
Good observation. I see it for the C shape but not for the others (just trying to visualize the connections... don't have my guitar right now).
Anytime you are moving from the D shape to the C shape, or back, you have that one-fret adjustment to make. I also am finding it almost impossible to get up to 60 bpm with the CAGED progressions because of the D shaped barre chord. I tried barring with my middle finger but my fingers don't bend enough that way, either. I can play the "mini" versions, but that seems to defeat the point of the practice. However, Griff is the teacher, and if he says it's okay, then I guess it must be.;) I am relieved to know that it's a common problem, which means that I will eventually be able to overcome it.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
FWIW, if anything to anyone, I find I cannot make a bar chord D shape with much success at all using the middle/ring/pinky so instead I use the ring finger as a mini bar across G-B-E and the pinky on the B string.
I've always played it this way. As I went through the first DVD today I noticed that I always reversed the fingering of my middle and ring fingers. Now that I noticed the fingering diagram I'll be trying this new (to me) fingering. No wonder why I always kink barred it!

Another way to finger this is a simple 3 note/string chord where you just use the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings... using the index ring and pinky.

Chief Rick

I've always played it this way. As I went through the first DVD today I noticed that I always reversed the fingering of my middle and ring fingers. Now that I noticed the fingering diagram I'll be trying this new (to me) fingering. No wonder why I always kink barred it!

Another way to finger this is a simple 3 note/string chord where you just use the 4th, 3rd, and 2nd strings... using the index ring and pinky.
I have been experimenting with switching my middle and ring fingers, and it seems to help. Insofar as skipping the 4th string, that takes away the flow of the CAGED system. So far I have only watched the videos, so I guess I should look at the PDF, assuming that's where you found the fingering.
... Later... I looked at the PDF. Yep, that's the way I was trying to finger it. Maybe I will have to stretch my tendons some more.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I have been experimenting with switching my middle and ring fingers, and it seems to help. Insofar as skipping the 4th string, that takes away the flow of the CAGED system. So far I have only watched the videos, so I guess I should look at the PDF, assuming that's where you found the fingering.
... Later... I looked at the PDF. Yep, that's the way I was trying to finger it. Maybe I will have to stretch my tendons some more.
Patience. I was working on fingering each string this morning for both C and G chords. It's tough all right. But it can be done I think.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I am pleased to say that I've been working on the first DVD this week (5 days). With this week of practice I've improved my ability to play not only the D shape Maj chord but also the G shape chord. The thing with the G shape is the 3 string barr - I've always barred all 6 strings which not only makes the 3 strings that need to be barred difficult to sound, but also the 3 fretted strings to sound properly. I've been able to work through the entire circle of fifths. I've not gone with just one chord to the next but have played each shape 4 or 5 time before moving onto the next chord - for better finger and fretting memory. By the time I'm done my wrist is actually sore. I've been somewhat successful at doing the next exercise of alternate I IV V chords. I'll continue with practicing these two exercises but I think I'm about ready to move to DVD 2. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Chief Rick

I am please to say that I've been working on the first DVD this week (5 days). With this week of practice I've improved my ability to play not only the D shape Maj chord but also the G shape chord. The thing with the G shape is the 3 string barr - I've always barred all 6 strings which not only makes the 3 strings that need to be barred difficult to sound, but also the 3 fretted strings to sound properly. I've been able to work through the entire circle of fifths. I've not gone with just one chord to the next but have played each shape 4 or 5 time before moving onto the next chord - for better finger and fretting memory. By the time I'm done my wrist is actually sore. I've been somewhat successful at doing the next exercise of alternate I IV V chords. I'll continue with practicing these two exercises but I think I've about ready to move to DVD 2. :thumbup:
I am getting better as well. I've been practicing every day but I am still not close to being able to switch to the D shaped C chord at 60 bpm. I haven't even tried the other chords yet until I can master the C chords at speed. It hurts my wrist as well. I have found that, as I have suspected, I was not holding my wrist up far enough, and that's why I couldn't finger the D shape properly. That means I have a LOT of relearning to do in order to play with my wrist at the proper angle. Congratulations on your success.

Chief Rick

Well, after several months of practicing (just a little bit most days, between learning songs) I have finally been able to hit the D chord at somewhere close to 60 bpm. I just thought I'd post this to give encouragement to others who are feeling the same frustration.

Jack

Blues Junior
For the D shape I usually fret the "triangle" part with middle, ring and pinky, and once that's in place stretch my index finger back to play the note on the D string. And hopefully do it quickly lol. The C shape is awkward for me, just barring the top three strings I almost always mute the high E. Oh well, practice practice practice.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
For the D shape I usually fret the "triangle" part with middle, ring and pinky, and once that's in place stretch my index finger back to play the note on the D string. And hopefully do it quickly lol. The C shape is awkward for me, just barring the top three strings I almost always mute the high E. Oh well, practice practice practice.

I play the D triangle and drop the low bass note most of the time, C shape I've used for years so it's no longer a challenge, G shape I don't use unless it's the top four strings only

ingog

Started in 2009
Remember the ORIGINAL D has a space of one fret between the Nut (which will become your Bar) and the D. So when you go from the E shape to the D shape, your bar starts where the E ends- THEN A SPACE of one fret, THEN the D shape.