At the end of BBG

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Well, went through everything.........really dont own all of it yet. Overall, I am glad I bought it, I could have gone straight through BGU 2, which I also purchased , but figured, maybe there is something I would have missed. I noticed a few things

1) The beginning was harder than the end.......sounds weird, but I was already really familiar with the standard 2nd fret two string blues standard and have done some play along with songs that use that. ( thought it was strange it was near the end)

2) I learned, my timing sucks, and yes I need, not should, but need to count out loud for many moons to come

Overall, strumming some chords with some fills terrified me, I like being a strummer, but now, it doesnt seem so scary ( still suck at it, but at least doing it). This was I think the biggest thing for me as a take away from the course so far.

combined with essential blues chords ( cant recommend that extra DVD enough), many chords I just never used that are starting to make sense in my thick skull.

Plan on going through a section of this course every night until next monday, then start again on bgu 2. The practice songs I think will still need a review at least twice a week for a month or two, just to keep the practice in, and to eventually own them.

For me, it was an exciting and fun course, some frustrating areas, some easy areas. One of my biggest weakness, when I am not sitting in front of the book or DVD, I forget everything when I start to play, maybe forget is a bad word , I just stop and dont know what to play............hopefully the weekly reviews will help with that

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Well, went through everything.........really dont own all of it yet. Overall, I am glad I bought it, I could have gone straight through BGU 2, which I also purchased , but figured, maybe there is something I would have missed. I noticed a few things

1) The beginning was harder than the end.......sounds weird, but I was already really familiar with the standard 2nd fret two string blues standard and have done some play along with songs that use that. ( thought it was strange it was near the end)

2) I learned, my timing sucks, and yes I need, not should, but need to count out loud for many moons to come

Overall, strumming some chords with some fills terrified me, I like being a strummer, but now, it doesnt seem so scary ( still suck at it, but at least doing it). This was I think the biggest thing for me as a take away from the course so far.

combined with essential blues chords ( cant recommend that extra DVD enough), many chords I just never used that are starting to make sense in my thick skull.

Plan on going through a section of this course every night until next monday, then start again on bgu 2. The practice songs I think will still need a review at least twice a week for a month or two, just to keep the practice in, and to eventually own them.

For me, it was an exciting and fun course, some frustrating areas, some easy areas. One of my biggest weakness, when I am not sitting in front of the book or DVD, I forget everything when I start to play, maybe forget is a bad word , I just stop and dont know what to play............hopefully the weekly reviews will help with that
Great review sdbrit68! I'm glad that you enjoyed that course and found it valuable! (especially since I recommend the course all of the time). You have a great approach for approaching BGU2.!! Keep it up my friend!! :thumbup::thumbup:

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
thanks...........I would really like to see the essential blues chords packaged with it, I really found it to be very useful.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
You might look at the Pentatonic Mastery course. It will help you learn all 5 boxes very well. With all of the 1/4, 1/8. triplets, and 1/16th note dexterity exercises, it will really help all the other courses as you will already have an idea of why the notes and how to finger them. And then there is that counting thing too!! I then there is the Strumming and Rhythm Mastery Course..................

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
bought that one too when they Griff had the sale.........I figured eventually I would need it, and 40% off and 3 payments, couldnt resist

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I'm glad you enjoyed BBG, it should take right into BGU nicely. Every course Griff has done is worthwhile so you really can't go wrong with any of them after BBG. Looking forward to the next jam!

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
I'm glad you enjoyed BBG, it should take right into BGU nicely. Every course Griff has done is worthwhile so you really can't go wrong with any of them after BBG. Looking forward to the next jam!

me too,I am hoping to improve at every jam.........I never used the jam tracks before, but it showed me I need too so I can hear myself in the mix. Will still need to go back and review so I dont forget, but, still felt good to finish. The last get together was what pushed me to really dig into the course

Elio

Student Of The Blues
me too,I am hoping to improve at every jam.........I never used the jam tracks before, but it showed me I need too so I can hear myself in the mix. Will still need to go back and review so I dont forget, but, still felt good to finish. The last get together was what pushed me to really dig into the course

There are a ton of good free jam tracks available but you might want to consider Griff's ultimate jam tracks, played by his awesomone bands and really fun to play along to!

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I am also going through BBG after getting well into BGU, I too wanted to be sure I didn't miss something fundamental.

For either course, I found that recording myself really focused my efforts. If I can record a lesson and get something that I am proud of and can post here for comment, then I think I've pretty well got it mastered. (At least as good as it gets at this time- I could always come back to it.)

Also I make myself play from memory, not reading the tab, and play through in a single take, no cutting and pasting. (OK I admit I cheated on BGU Gospel Blues :notworthy:) That means a lot of takes that have flubs end up in the bit bucket. But the flubs tell you what you need to work on.

So consider recording- there is a learning curve and maybe some new gear. Also lots of help on this forum.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
I turn on the recorder..............and forget how to play, somehow the record button disconnects my brain
I think all of us feel that way at first.

You just have to go for it. You will cringe sometimes and you will hear all the little things like muting, that are not quite there. But you will be your own worst critic. The tape doesn't lie.

The pressure is not that different from playing for an audience.