Finger Placement

Frankie

Blues Newbie
Is there an exercise or method so that the fingers do not touch the adjacent string and make a flat sound when playing chords?

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think it's mostly just a lot of repetitive practice. What works for me when learning a new chord is to just focus on using my fingertips on the strings and concentrating on playing each string individually until I know the best way to approach fingering the chord. You may find that by experimenting with the order your fingers go down on the strings you may get better results. Also, make sure you aren't overly tilting your guitar upward as you look at the fretboard since that will make it harder to use your fingertips. It also helps to concentrate on keepIng your thumb low on the neck so your fingers are more perpendicular to the fretboard.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
There are so many exercises on you-tube. Just type in "guitar finger exercises" and dozens will pop out.

Here is just one:

HotLks

Blues - it's in me and it's got to come out.
+1 on placing fingertips on the strings and trying a different order when placing them down.
+1 on the order you put your fingers to the strings CAN make a major difference with some chords.
- Tip head stock up toward ceiling. Positioning the head stock higher helps a great deal.
- Strap you guitar higher, like when your sitting down. Guitar slung too low severely limits the range of motion of your arm from the elbow and wrist. Why reach down for starters just to have to reach back up to finger the chord?
- Place thumb in middle of back of neck, lined up with the split between middle and ring finger (in most, not all cases).
- When putting finger tips down, drill straight down to strings, at least while struggling to nail the chord.
See you down the road! :thumbup:

luckylarry

Student Of The Blues
My best trick is to go slow, place the fingers then pick each string separately to be sure none are muted...repeat until the chord fingering is natural and you can play it cleanly. Then every week or so pick the strings in a chord individually to make sure you sty on track. Bad habits creep up on all of us if we don't watch out.

panther

Blues Newbie
Is there an exercise or method so that the fingers do not touch the adjacent string and make a flat sound when playing chords?

The method is Practice, Practice, Practice. Don't fall into the myth of needing a wider nut. Many people switch between Slide Guitars, and Electric guitars without any problem. The nut width IMHO, is a non issue, but can be an issue if you choose to make it one.
When I started p[laying,I never even knew about varying nut widths. So when I obtained another guitar, it wasn't something I even considered. Now any nut width, is not an issue at all. Consider this, you can move up and down the neck without looking, and nail a certain note with precision ever time.Yet some say the few thousandths of an inch variation in width can make a difference. I think NOT.
JMHO.

Dan