The Only Playable Stradivarius Guitar Left - Made in 1679

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
Needs some locking tuners, maybe an undersaddle pickup. A whammy bar too. Probably need to replace the gut strings with some DR Blues. I'd put strap locks on it too, probably the Dunlop. I'd also strip it down and redo it in a polyurethane sunburst finish. Sheesh, whoever owns that thing has no class.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I think that guitar makers have learned a great deal about how to improve the quality of a guitars sound, by using different construction techniques, design, and materials. Gut strings do not sound very full as compared to nylon, nor do they last or stay in tune very well.

The instrument shown is an interesting curiosity, and has value as a historical item. The guitarist plays well, but I had a teacher named Andres Segovia, who would not have allowed anyone in his presence to use the right thumb as this guitarist does. The right thumb should be placed in front of the other fingers of the right hand, like a hitch hikers sign.

The acoustics of the room did not allow for a true appreciation of the instrument.

Tom

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I think that guitar makers have learned a great deal about how to improve the quality of a guitars sound, by using different construction techniques, design, and materials. Gut strings do not sound very full as compared to nylon, nor do they last or stay in tune very well.

The instrument shown is an interesting curiosity, and has value as a historical item. The guitarist plays well, but I had a teacher named Andres Segovia, who would not have allowed anyone in his presence to use the right thumb as this guitarist does. The right thumb should be placed in front of the other fingers of the right hand, like a hitch hikers sign.

The acoustics of the room did not allow for a true appreciation of the instrument.

Tom

I have a friend of the family who studied under Segovia, who at the time made teaching appearances at a local university he was attending. The stories I have heard was that Segovia was nothing less the incredibly demanding. I remember seeing him perform in the early 80's -- really amazing. ...as is that Stadivarius!

KevinS

Blues Newbie
The " thumb Under" technique that the player demonstrating the Strad guitar is using is actually lute technique.
Seeing that the Strad guitar is a Baroque instrument using catgut strings like a lute rather than modern nylon strings , the technique is probably more appropriate and historically accurate as to how that particular instrument
was played back in it's day.

Regardless of the room acoustics, I thought the guitar sounded pretty amazing , much less for one almost 350 years old.

Oldmann

Blues Newbie
Wow, that is really neat. I also enjoyed the Allman Brothers playing " Whipping Post" next to it. Great stuff, thanks for posting. Jim

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Last edited: