Yet another New Old Guy

JimRouleau

Blues Newbie
Maybe it's the time factor, I'm starting to get more free time as I get older (63), but when this Covid thing started I said to myself I'm going to really work at it this time and so far I have. I have gotten a lot better in these past months and actually having some fun but now I'd like to get over the next hurdle, getting from JUST BARELY OK to GOOD and people don't mind listening. I discovered Griff on YouTube and it wasn't long before I was hooked, never seen a teacher so knowledgeable yet so willing and able to share and teach. He gave away so much for free I had to find out what I'd get if I bought in! Looks like I could probably spend all my time just poring through this forum.

I have short fingers, I can barely reach 4 frets near the nut, makes some riffs very difficult. I have an '89 cream Strat (just like Chris G's!) and I just bought a Taylor A10 acoustic. I have a Pandora PX5 effects processor that I use sometimes. I wear hearing aids, nearly deaf without them but technology is awesome. In fact, I plug them directly into guitar so I don't disturb the wife with my noise. I'm hoping if/when Covid is behind us that I can find others to jam with. My current goal is to play Box 1 and sound like Griff!!! Seriously, smooth and quick. Once you have that you can run with it. There is so much to know though, it's really mind stretching.

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
Welcome Jim. Under the Gigs and Jams section there is a thread called People to Jam with. I see 5 listed for Massachusetts. Also keep an eye out for BGU Live events and regional jams. It's a great way to meet people on the forum and get a lot of playing in. Hopefully things will open up sometime in 2021. :Beer:

MarcV

Blues Junior
Welcome Jim! In my mind music is one of the best hobbies to have as we get older, keeps the mind very active. My experience with Griff was similar to yours in that I was learning tremendous things for several months just with his free emails and then took plunge to get more involved. No regrets.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Welcome to the forum, amigo! Take a look around and join in the fun.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Welcome!
Yours is a familiar story around here, lots of old guys learning something new.
:Beer:

That Pandora is a pretty amazing little unit.
That was my first effects unit and introduction to recording.
I gave it away to help out a fellow player.