words guitar players use

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by snarf, Aug 11, 2020.

1. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

How about a session on words that those of us that have been playing for a while don't think about but make the new players among us scratch their heads.

Creamy doesn't refer to coffee.
    Transparent doesn't refer to windows.
    Woofy doesn't refer to our dogs.
    Quack...not a duck thing.
    Spank...nobody's in trouble.
    Sparkle...no shiny objects here.
    Mid-hump...no new camels have been discovered.
    Pot...not referring to a legal/illegal (depending on where you live) bud of any sort.
    Action isn't something you're doing.
    Lick/Riff....got nothing for this one.
    Pups...still not talking about dogs.
    etc.

If we don't do a session on this, maybe we can get a good list going and have a mod make it a sticky. It'd probably be a handy reference for the newer players among us.

2. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

Did somebody say pull-off?- nothing to do with getting away with something
    Or........hammer-on which has no tools involved.

Crossroads and snarf like this.
  3. matonanjin

matonanjin Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.

I first heard "Spank" on this forum. Someone, I wish I could remember who, used it in a conversation about Strat "spank". Obviously a conversation about tone.

Seriously?!?!? "Lick/Riff" and you "got nothing"!? So much opportunity for obscene innuendo and you left it alone? I have to say I'm more than a little disappointed in you, @snarf :sneaky::(

snarf likes this.
  4. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Student Of The Blues

I always wonder what GAS means. I see it a lot on guitar forums but don't know anything about it.

Eric

5. wildwood

wildwood Playin' Blues

GAS...Guitar Acquisition Syndrome :cool:

snarf likes this.
  6. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

Ignoring or denying the issue will only make it worse!

sdbrit68, Jalapeno and snarf like this.
  7. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

I guess I should've put "I've got nothing that's family friendly" for that one. lol I had a couple, but, when I asked Mrs Snarf if she thought they'd be appropriate, her response was "and you kiss your mama with that mouth?"

As an aside, I guess I should go back and put some real definitions on these to start the process of it actually being beneficial to the new players among us.

8. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

OK, here's a start. Feel free to let me know what needs to be added, corrected, or removed. You won't hurt my feelings by saying "amigo, you're just wrong on that one." Heck! You'll notice that there are at least a couple blank. Even though I've played for a good while and know what chime is when I hear it, I'm not really sure how to describe it. So feel free to chime in where it's needed. (see what I did there? :whistle:)

Like I said, just trying to get something together that might help out some of the newer players. Knowing that the last few sessions Griff has mentioned having new folks joining into the AAP sessions and then yesterday him talking about something being woofy made me think everyone might not know what that meant. Making a list here may actually be better than having Griff do a session on it. If the list gets a little more complete and is vetted by more than just me, maybe we can convince the mods to sticky the post for easy reference.

• Gear
      • Action - How your guitar is setup. Are your strings really low on the fretboard? Then you have a low action.
      • Ax - Another name for your guitar.
      • Bolt-on - They type of guitar where the neck is bolted to the body instead of glued. A Strat is a bolt-on. A Les Paul is not.
      • Chime -
      • Creamy - Not too clean, but not really distorted. That driven tone that gives the perfect amount of sustain for what's being played.
      • Farty/flubby - Very similar to woofy, only a little looser sounding.
      • G string - The 3rd string on your guitar. Tuned to G in standard tuning.
      • GAS - Gear/Guitar Acquisition Syndrome
      • Icepicky - That sound you get sometimes when you're standing directly in front of a really loud amp. Or when you have way too much treble in your tone. Feels like an icepick in your ear making your brain bleed. The opposite end of the not-recommended-guitar-tone-spectrum from woofy.
      • In the groove -
      • In the pocket -
      • Klone - a clone of the Klon Centaur pedal. The Klon Centaur pedal was apparently sprinkled with fairy dust, sneezed on by unicorns, and hidden in the Leprechaun's pot at the end of the rainbow. To engage one and play a chord causes celestial choirs to begin singing. Due to their high cost, we mere mortals play klones.
      • Lush - Often used to describe a chorus pedal that is dialed-in really well.
      • Mid-hump - The sound a Tube Screamer is really good at. It accentuates the middle frequencies to make the guitar a little more punchy.
      • NGD - New Guitar Day
      • NAD - New Amp Day
      • NPD - New Pedal Day
      • Pocket bass -
      • Pot - Potentiometers. What the knobs on your guitar are attached to. You turn them and the Volume or Tone changes.
      • Punchy - Cutting through the mix.
      • Pups - Pickups on your guitar.
      • Quack - The sound a Strat makes when using selector positions 2 and 4 (the in-betweens). Some say that God only intended a Strat to be played on the neck pickup. Others say that a Strat just isn't a Strat unless it quacks.
      • Shred -
      • Sizzle/Fizzy - That sound you hear on the top end of your tone that makes you think you just poured a glass of Coke.
      • Slide (n) - A porcelain/glass/acrylic/metal/etc tube worn on the finger or bar held in the hand that is used to play slide guitar.
      • Spank - Another Strat sound. Think of the guitar sounds you hear in some old school funk. That's spanky.
      • Sparkle -
      • Transparent - Referring to pedals that don't really color your sound. Tube Screamers give a definite mid-hump. Part of the mythos about a Klon is that it is supposed to be transparent. It drives your amp without really adding anything to the sound.
      • Trem -
      • TS - Tube Screamer
      • Woman Tone - The creamy tone that Clapton made famous during his days with Cream (which has nothing to do with his tone being creamy).
      • Wood pile - A collection of guitars.
      • Woofy - Bass-y. Lots of bass. The woofer in your speakers is happy. In fixing a woofy sound, you want to start by backing off the bass and not just immediately adding a lot of treble. Otherwise you risk going from woofy to icepicky.
    • Technique
      • BPM - Beats per minute.
      • Chucking -
      • Hammer-on - A note played in conjunction to another. The first note is played (open or fretted), and then the second note is sounded by hammering a finger onto the appropriate fret.
      • Lick - A short, melodic idea. A lick is the basis for a solo. String together 4 or 5 compatible licks, and you have enough to fill a 12-bar solo.
      • Pull-off - A note played in conjunction to another. The first note is played (fretted) and then the second note is sounded by pulling the finger off of the fretboard so that the second note is heard (fretted or open).
      • Riff - A lick or two that are used as a theme throughout a song to give it continuity and lock in a groove.
      • Slide (v) - Playing a note and then, without lifting your finger off the fretboard, moving it to the next note while letting the string continue to ring giving it a glissando sound.
      • Tweedly - A quick, ornamental combination of a hammer-on and pull-off

#8 snarf, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  9. Paleo

Paleo Theory, Solos, Licks

Maybe separate the "gear" and "technique" terms??

Silicon Valley Tom and snarf like this.
  10. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

Good call!

Paleo likes this.
  11. dvs

dvs Green Mountain Blues

Always thought the "G" in GAS was for Gear. So maybe I don't have it as bad as I thought I did?

#11 dvs, Aug 12, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    snarf likes this.
  12. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

Nope. You're right. And we've both got it bad, so I fixed it. :Beer:

dvs likes this.
  13. dvs

dvs Green Mountain Blues

Mostly I was joking, but probably a formal definition could rightly include both, don't you think?

snarf likes this.
  14. matonanjin

matonanjin Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.

And let me guess, Eric. You can't define "NGD" either:LOL::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

Jalapeno likes this.
  15. Jalapeno

RBT...Rainbow Broccoli Temperature.

Stringing words together from a dictionary doesn't make them a sentence :LOL::whistle:

In a similar vein I've seen people write out "I sold a guitar".... The words are all in the dictionary but they really don't make sense assembled thusly. o_O:whistle:

Eric

16. Jalapeno

17. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Student Of The Blues

what about G string has nothing to do with a stripper..................

other words

shred
    tapping
    slide
    tweedely
    in the pocket
    pocket bass
    in the groove
    trem
    ax
    bpm
    chucking

snarf likes this.
  18. snarf

snarf musician wannabe

Got some of them added before work this morning. I'll work on getting the others later today.

sdbrit68 likes this.
  19. Paleo

If we start adding "theory" terms related to playing guitar, we'll be writing a whole 'nuther dictionary, "Snarf's Dictionary of Music".:sneaky:

I'll start (and maybe end) with "Box".:rolleyes:

#19 Paleo, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    snarf and sdbrit68 like this.
  20. Paleo

Sorry. Can't help myself. Here's a few terms new guitarists will run into that go beyond a basic understanding of music theory. Especially when studying with Griff.

Cowboy Chord
    Barre Chord
    Small Chord
    Tall Chord
    Power Chord
    Slash Chord

Left/Right Facing
    "Mixing" Major and Minor

Blues In "E" Rhythm
    Blues Half Step
    Stormy Slide
    Tore Down Rhythm