Wooden Picks

Shodai

Blues Junior
Anyone ever used wooden Picks? I got a sampler with different woods to try them out. They're a pick so I didn't expect much, but was actually quite surprised at how the guitar sounds so different between normal plastic picks and the wood. Even more surprised to hear the difference between different woods.

On the Acoustic guitar, that is. I didn't hear much of a difference with the electric guitars through an amp.

Curious to see if anyone else has tried wooden picks, and what they think of them.

IMG_20200226_071500091.jpg

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
I have never tried them but, I think they look awesome. I wonder how long they last. I'd be a bit afraid that they might split. I imagine they are on the expensive side too.

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
They are nice looking. I can hear different picks through the amp. It's part of the sound. One of the things I like about the plastic picks I use is that they flex. I tried some of the fancy picks that people raved about, but they were thick and stiff and I didn't like them at all. I don't think the wooden picks will flex much, not from the looks of them. They probably would break if you made them thin enough to flex.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
One of the things I like about the plastic picks I use is that they flex.
Ditto this. I've tried all kinds of different picks just because I've been curious how they make the guitar sound. Wood, coconut husk, bison horn, coins, aluminum, those fancy big and thick picks everyone likes...they've all sounded different. I even tried to power through with some 1.5s for a while just to try to get to like them. I always end up back with picks that are in the .7ish thickness. They have just enough give without getting floppy. I've been playing some 1.0s lately of a particular brand that were given to me, and really like them. I keep thinking I need to look them up and see what they have in a little thinner version.

Part of my problem, I think, is that, when the pick starts getting thicker, I can really feel their stiffness when I play the bigger strings on my acoustics. I feel like I'm playing with a board sometimes. The .72 or .73 (however thick they are) feel about right on the acoustic, so that's what I stick with.

I picked up a bunch of wooden picks at a guitar shop about a year ago that I want to put in something like a shadow box and hang it on the wall. They're all the natural wood color and range from almost black to red to blonde. I think the wooden picks look really cool.

aleclee

Tribe of One
Wood picks are cool. I've tried a lot of different pick materials:
  • Celluloid
  • Nylon
  • Wood
  • Metal
  • Stone
  • Rubber
and they all have their pros/cons. Wood's a nice option. Initial attack is relatively soft. It's fairly non-slip. Doesn't chirp as much as many other super-thick pick materials. Not my favorite pick material but it has its place.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I also received a sample set as a gift some time ago.

I experimented with them for a while and found that they sounded quite different then any others I have.
I used them mostly on my acoustic.

They faded off the radar and I no desire to replace them.
I find myself using my fingers on my acoustic more then any picks.

Elwood

Blues
Well, if you and MM like 'em I figured I had best give 'em a try. Tiny little buggers. Took me a couple of tries to quit squeezing too hard. Once I relax and let them move a bit in my grip they seem to be getting better and better for my tele playing. They sound pretty close to the 1.14 Dunlops I've been mainly using but they may end up being a bit more precise and my other fingers are closer to the strings, good in case there is a chance to use them. I don't know how, or if I will find them suited to my acoustic playing but this is a nice change for the Fenders.

Thanks for the "tip" guys.:thumbup: (no pick pun allowed:p)

I think sometime in the past I had a wood pick, if I saw one locally might try it. They are real pretty and made a good fun thread.:Beer:

haven't got sick once, probably keep us both alive

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Fun thread! The main thing I’ve fallen into using is the rubber grips from the Mojo Grip picks. Don’t like the picks so much, just the reusable rubber grip part.

For the picks that I stuff into them, for acoustic strumming I favor basic Dunlop 0.6. For electric (especially as I slowly ease into solos) I’m currently liking the V-Pick trad lites. Still stuffed into the grips, at least for now.