Electric Guitars Why... maybe stupid n00b question

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by PeterSchroeder, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:08 PM.

1. PeterSchroeder

PeterSchroeder Munich, Germany

Let me start with telling you some background. Picked up learning the guitar in April this year. My first guitar was an Epiphone SG and I still have it. Did an electric guitar basic course for 12 weeks then it was holiday time. Bought a Squier Bullet Strat, hardtail version, for traveling (didn‘t want to take the more expensive and heavy SG with me) and booked the Beginner Blues Guitar course. Did the first lessons including Sitting Easy Blues, and the E7, A7 and B7 chords exercises. SEB felt like being almost done. Back from holidays I picked up my SG again and since then I feel like I struggle a lot more with SEB than before. Today I did a test - identical warm ups the Sitting Easy Blues, first with the Strat then with the SG. On the Strat I almost nailed it, on the SG it didn‘t work that well. Any idea why ? Is it because the frets are wider on the Strat (I got kind of thick fingers) ? First fret is about 1.5mm wider on the Strat compared to the SG. Is it the body shape ? The SG feels like everything is much further on the left compared to Strat or a Les Paul. For me it is hard to tell (btw excuse my english, I am not a native speaker). From a sound perspective I would always pick the SG , love the humbucker sound. Next week - hopefully - I will get a used Les Paul, love the sound, it feels much more balanced and the first thing I will will try will be Sitting Easy Blues.... and I hope it will outplay the SG, even better would be outplay the Strat....

Grateful_Ed likes this.
  2. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

More likely string gauges, if they're the same they will feel different due to the different scale lengths of the necks.

arock and MikeS like this.
  3. paparaptor

paparaptor Central Scrutinizer
    Staff Member

The SG is to the left of a Strat. I've always had a period of adjustment when going to a SG from a Strat or Tele. The upper horn on most Strats extends to the 12th fret and the lower horn, to the 17th fret. The SG horns are symmetrical and only extend the body out to the 19th fret. The other reason they feel radically different is because the saddles on a Strat are approximately 5 3/4" from the tail of the guitar and the Tune-O-Matic on the SG is around 8" from the tail. Also in checking overall length of the guitars, my SG is a full inch longer (40") than my Strat (39") even though the SG scale is 3/4" shorter than the Strat.

Surprisingly, the Les Paul is almost exactly the same length as the SG. The difference in the feel between the two of them is largely because the LP has a thicker (and heavier) body than the SG and with the single cutaway body style of the LP, the body extends to the 16th fret of the neck.

I have a couple of Danelectro longhorn guitars and they feel like they are almost nothing but neck.

#3 paparaptor, Oct 12, 2019 at 12:44 PM
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 12:50 PM
  4. Rad

Rad Blues Newbie

I bet if you play one or the other for a length of time it might feel like you play it better.

Strat is 7.5” (vintage style) or 9.5” (modern) fingerboard radius, the SG is 12” radius, that can make some difference.

You and your fingers will get better at adjusting to different necks and fingerboards. You will most likely develop a preference and that can change over time, it has for me.

5. PeterSchroeder

PeterSchroeder Munich, Germany

I use 9‘s on the Strat and 10‘s on the SG. The main thing for me is I tend to hit the mini chords easier on the Strat when switching from single notes, also „real“ chords feel easier on the Strat.

6. MikeS

MikeS Moderator... Another Man In Black.
    Staff Member

Seems like every time I switch to my SG, my hands "naturally' hit the wrong frets. It takes time to get used to it. That's why I don't play mine that much.

Grateful_Ed and paparaptor like this.
  7. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

Ya'll should try a Firebird, probably a lot like Lloyds longhorns

8. CaptainMoto

CaptainMoto Blues Voyager

What Papa said plus....
    The different guitar body sizes and shapes puts the guitar strap buttons in a much different place.
    This causes the guitar to hang in such a way that it feels as though it is pushed to the left.
    SGs have never felt right to me.

#8 CaptainMoto, Oct 13, 2019 at 5:41 AM
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    MikeS likes this.