Which fingers?

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Before becoming a member of BGU I took a few lessons from a guy at the guitar store. When I played a barred minor chord (among others, but for example) I would cover the 4th and 5th string with my ring finger rather than ring and pinky. He was all over me and told me not to do that. The strings ring clean and my chord changes are much faster. Still, "don't do that". At the time I resisted doing it because I thought there was a reason that at some point down the road would prove to be a bad habit. Now, Griff who seems to say if its workin' for you. . . It's not that I have large fingers, because I don't but the shape of my finger works nicely with this technique. Thoughts?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Using your example of a minor barre chord with root on the 6th string ("E-shape"):

Just curious how you would play a minor chord with root on the 5th string ("A-shape"), where you will now play a note on the 2nd string with your second finger. Are you still using your ring finger to cover the 4th & 3rd strings? Or are you now using your ring and pinky?

If the latter, it would be more "efficient" to use you ring and pinky for both minor barre chords, simply moving them together up, or down, a string. (Example: Am to Dm at 5th fret)

On a similar note, when playing an "A-shape" barre with root on the 5th string, some people cover strings 4,3,&2 with 3 fingers, some barre all 3 with their ring finger and my little brother (and Eric Clapton) cover all 3 with their pinky. That would break my pinky.:eek:

(And what about Dom7 and min7 chords where you'll have to "lose" that barre anyway. Or not?:sneaky:)

Last edited:

jammoore99

Blues Newbie
Although some finger arrangements technically may be more efficient, If you're comfortable with your approach and it works for you, sounds clear, can make the changes, etc. go for it.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
No one way is right or wrong. It may vary per song. The prior chord and the chord change after would make this determination for me. Whatever is easier and more efficient.

But anytime I can free up an extra finger that's always helpful.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
As I've posted before, (paraphrasing an email from Griff), he said, "If whatever you're doing produces the sound you want to hear in the way you want to hear it, then you're doing it the right way."

It's probably better in the long run to learn to use your fingers in a more articulate way overall.

But for that particular chord, if one finger works best for you, then that's the best way to play it.

Elwood

Blues
We are all different. For me, not using the L. pinky seems like a direct 25% reduction in my overall ability to sound notes while playing. For Django (Reinhardt, not my boxer) using fewer fingers was not negotiable, and he was brilliant. Why not use all of what you have? Train it up so it can work for you later. My.02 worth.

Last edited:

DavidLylis

Aspiring Bluesman
Using your example of a minor barre chord with root on the 6th string ("E-shape"):

Just curious how you would play a minor chord with root on the 5th string ("A-shape"), where you will now play a note on the 2nd string with your second finger. Are you still using your ring finger to cover the 4th & 3rd strings? Or are you now using your ring and pinky?

If the latter, it would be more "efficient" to use you ring and pinky for both minor barre chords, simply moving them together up, or down, a string. (Example: Am to Dm at 5th fret)

On a similar note, when playing an "A-shape" barre with root on the 5th string, some people cover strings 4,3,&2 with 3 fingers, some barre all 3 with their ring finger and my little brother (and Eric Clapton) cover all 3 with their pinky. That would break my pinky.:eek:

I always like to do a quick demo to illustrate what the heck I'm talking about:

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/gpen4txkgeyudif/Ring Finger.mp4?dl=0

(And we haven't even talked about Dom7 and min7 chords where you'll have to "lose" that barre anyway.:sneaky:)
Are you still using your ring finger to cover the 4th & 3rd strings? Or are you now using your ring and pinky? Yes I use my ring finger. If there are two strings together in the same fret and I can use my ring finger, I do.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
rather than ring and pinky
I had a face teacher for a while that would get on to me anytime that he saw me using my pinky...which was all the time according to him. Apparently the pinky is the weak finger and not very coordinated, to which my reply was "and it stays uncoordinated until you use it enough to train it." He didn't agree. Sometimes our face teachers teach us how they play and not so much how to play.

JPsuff

Blackstar Artist
I had a face teacher for a while that would get on to me anytime that he saw me using my pinky...which was all the time according to him. Apparently the pinky is the weak finger and not very coordinated, to which my reply was "and it stays uncoordinated until you use it enough to train it." He didn't agree. Sometimes our face teachers teach us how they play and not so much how to play.

Strange.

I use my pinky quite a bit, especially when playing modal stuff -- hell, I even do bends with it occasionally.

And you're right -- it IS rather uncoordinated at first but using it is the only way to overcome that and then it becomes a useful little digit. :D

PCM

Spring, Texas
Strange.

I use my pinky quite a bit, especially when playing modal stuff -- hell, I even do bends with it occasionally.

And you're right -- it IS rather uncoordinated at first but using it is the only way to overcome that and then it becomes a useful little digit. :D
Me too....

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Interesting that this thread started with "not" using your pinky finger and has flipped to using it.

Which leads to the next "logical" question I have for @DavidLylis.

Do you use your pinky when playing scales/Boxes?

I only ask theses questions because I'm always fascinated by how other people do the same thing differently.o_O

When I play with my brother and he bends his pinky back to barre 3 strings it freaks me out. I can't bear to look.

If David was ever so inclined as to shoot a short video, I'd love to see how he does his thing. Or maybe not.:eek:

Jack

Blues Junior
You mean you play this barre chord using only your 1st and 3rd fingers?

pb9XfFI.png

As long as you're able to get your 3rd finger bent back sharply enough that it frets the 4th string but doesn't touch the 3rd string, then that will work. The 3rd string is where the minor 3rd of the chord is located (the other strings are just the root, 5th and octaves of the root and 5th), so if that 3rd string gets muted you've basically got a power chord that's neither major nor minor.

Personally I'd say to learn to use your 3rd and 4th fingers anyway, because there are many other chords that require good dexterity with those fingers.

Anyhow just my two cents :)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
As opposed to using your little pinky?
its a weird birth defect......lol

Actually, when learning scales and chords, at first, I used my pinky as little as posssible. Then I saw professional people playing chords and using it.

Glad I made the switch, now I am getting into CAGED quite a bit and the pinky is sorely needed for some of the shapes

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
You mean you play this barre chord using only your 1st and 3rd fingers?

pb9XfFI.png

As long as you're able to get your 3rd finger bent back sharply enough that it frets the 4th string but doesn't touch the 3rd string, then that will work. The 3rd string is where the minor 3rd of the chord is located (the other strings are just the root, 5th and octaves of the root and 5th), so if that 3rd string gets muted you've basically got a power chord that's neither major nor minor.

Personally I'd say to learn to use your 3rd and 4th fingers anyway, because there are many other chords that require good dexterity with those fingers.

Anyhow just my two cents :)

This! Using just two fingers is OK for power chords and you can get away with it on an electric with low action, but if you try to play like that on an acoustic or any guitar with higher action, you will mute out the minor third. I would try to learn BOTH approaches, as I find I use them both fairly regularly.

As for Griffs advice, there are two approaches to teaching beginners. One is to try to get them to do everything with proper form even if it takes longer because they will not develop bad habits. The other is to get them playing and enjoying making music quickly with whatever way works and additional skills and techniques can be added later.