Which Fender tube amp?

straightblues

Blues Junior
Strange comment?

The best Fender amp i ever heard was a 1964 Deluxe blackface, with no reverb. I'm sure I would have liked it more if it had reverb, but it didn't. It did have an old Electro Voice EV SRO/12 speaker with a coffee can alnico magnet, and weighed a ton. But I put in a pair of Tung Sol power tubes and an ElectroHarmonix PI tube, and it was amazing! The only amp I've heard that was better, was a Dr. Z, Route 66. My Twin Reverb is close, but the Deluxe was sweeter somehow. I suspect it was the speaker that put it ahead of my Twin. Those speakers weigh 20 pounds each, so I ain't puttin those in a twin.

I currently have a 64 Fender Deluxe Non Reverb. It is a good sounding amp. I will have to look for one of those old EV's to try in it. I have used is with a few different speakers. It is a clean Fender tone that is very good.

Crossroads

Thump the Bottom
Those Victoria amps are sweet clean amps and the vibro is borderline orgasmic.

The Golden Melody looks like it would make a good studio amp.

And then this. If anyone wants a tweed with vibro, this amp deserves a look, and less than $2k. I would love this especially for a slide amp. I think Ry Cooder might feel this is too swampy. :giggle:

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Don't wanna hijack this Fender discussion so, I'll keep my Victoria comments short.
They are built using original Fender designs with almost all the components the same as the originals and they are beautifully hand wired.
If you where looking to buy "a new Fender from the 50's" this would be as close as you could get.
I have the Silver Sonic which is the 20 watt / 1 x12 version of the Golden Melody 50 watt - 2 x 12.
The Golden Melody was way to much power for my studio.

FYI, here's a back stage photo of Joe B. playing with 2 Golden Melody amps:

Joe  B  Victotia.jpg

Last edited:

CapnDenny1

Student Of The Blues
That’s into the Boutique Amp territory.

The true old Fender’s have priced themselves into the Boutique price range.

But a re-issue with a pcb sounds just as good as a hand wired version. In fact pcb’s with modern low noise layout techniques will sound better than most hand wired amps. And there are good pcb’s out there.

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
That’s into the Boutique Amp territory.

The true old Fender’s have priced themselves into the Boutique price range.

But a re-issue with a pcb sounds just as good as a hand wired version. In fact pcb’s with modern low noise layout techniques will sound better than most hand wired amps. And there are good pcb’s out there.

I can't speak to pcb's being better or worse than hand wired, but I would consider Vics to be "boutique" and definately pricey.
That's why all my original replies to this discussion focused on new Fenders the query in the original post.

Last edited:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I just turn my Quilter MicroPro's voice knob to "surf" and sit back and grin.
It must have some really magically good PCBs in there.
OK, OK, I have ducked behind my barricade and won't stick my head up again in this thread. I just hope some of you can't find a mortar. :confused::eek:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I just turn my Quilter MicroPro's voice knob to "surf" and sit back and grin.
It must have some really magically good PCBs in there.
OK, OK, I have ducked behind my barricade and won't stick my head up again in this thread. I just hope some of you can't find a mortar. :confused::eek:
RR,
I won't throw any grenades at Quilter,I believe they are very good.
When somebody says they are looking for a Fender tube amp, I believe they understand all other options and have decided they want a tube amp.
It's like wanting a old style muscle car and saying I love my Tesla, get that instead.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Hey Terry,
Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue.... 22 watts of blissful Fender blackface tone... can't beat the reverb.

John
If I had to do over again that's what I would've bought instead of the twin reverb, which is great, but I love the tube breakup on those Deluxe reverbs you can't get on a Twin, head room for days but if you want overdrive you'll need a pedal or ear plugs

Terry B

Humble student of the blues
RR,
I won't throw any grenades at Quilter,I believe they are very good.
When somebody says they are looking for a Fender tube amp, I believe they understand all other options and have decided they want a tube amp.
It's like wanting a old style muscle car and saying I love my Tesla, get that instead.

Good analogy.

JohnHanau

Blues Newbie
Heck if you still have the Twin sell it on Craigslist or Ebay or Reverb. Then you can get a lower wattage Blackface Fender Reverb Amp. I often wonder about the Princeton Reverb Reissue. It is smaller and has lower wattage than the DRRI. The DRRI, as great as it sounds, seems to be the workhorse for a lot of blues, country and rock players. Especially during the 1970s.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
If you get that old style muscle car, you better also invest in a full extensive set of tools and a shop and be a mechanic
... or in this instance have somebody like Cap'nDenny1 handy for when it throws a rod or eats a valve. :)

That said, my strong "old muscle car" choice would be a Fender Vibrolux Reverb, the amp Gregor Hilden uses in his demo videos.
Actually, I take that back. This would be my hands-down choice. I have one. It's clean channel puts Fenders to shame and it is switchable to 50 Watts. It is an original Carvin Steve Vai Legacy. Mine is in like-new pristine condition and no, I won't sell it.

IMG_0667.JPG

Last edited:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
If you get that old style muscle car, you better also invest in a full extensive set of tools and a shop and be a mechanic
... or in this instance have somebody like Cap'nDenny1 handy for when it throws a rod or eats a valve. :)

That said, my strong "old muscle car" choice would be a Fender Vibrolux Reverb, the amp Gregor Hilden uses in his demo videos.
Actually, I take that back. This would be my hands-down choice. I have one. It's clean channel puts Fenders to shame and it is switchable to 50 Watts. It is an original Carvin Steve Vai Legacy. Mine is in like-new pristine condition and no, I won't sell it.

View attachment 12103
I think he's looking for an amp, not a hair blower!
That think could clear off my few remaining hair follicles:eek:

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I think he's looking for an amp, not a hair blower!
That think could clear off my few remaining hair follicles
:eek:
Well, switch it to 50W and plug in a 1X12 cab. But those four Vintage 30's sure do sound nice. :)

Here is my other tube hair blower. There are a number of fans of the Carvin Vintage series Nomad on here. This is the same amp but in a 2X12 combo, with an extension cab. It is "only" 50 Watts but it can be LOUD. But I like the clean channel on my big ol' Legacy head better.
CARVIN BELAIR AMP.JPG

Last edited:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
I am very pleased to report that finally Fender has staffed their production facility and I have received notification that my Joe Bonamassa '59 Fender Twin Amp preorder is just about ready!! I should be invoiced for the balance this week and then it will be shipped in a mater of days!! I'm excited!! :Beer:

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
I am very pleased to report that finally Fender has staffed their production facility and I have received notification that my Joe Bonamassa '59 Fender Twin Amp preorder is just about ready!! I should be invoiced for the balance this week and then it will be shipped in a mater of days!! I'm excited!! :Beer:
Cool,
Gotta get your juices flowing!
Like a kid waiting for Christmas.