Where to order guitar strings.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
I have been thinking about trying some really light strings. I mean really light strings. I am talking Billy Gibbons light. I am talking maybe 7's. I have been thinking about this for a while and only procrastination has kept me from it.

I was in my local store a couple weeks ago and they are nearly totally out of strings. And I don't see where they normally carry anything that light anyway. If you order strings online where do you recommend?

Just glancing there is Strings and Beyond.

And there is Just Strings.

Anybody had experience with either? Any other recommendation?

tommytubetone

Great Lakes
I buy Regular Slinky 10's in bulk from Sweetwater when they go on sale. When I was breaking a lot of high E strings I bought individual strings from Strings By Mail.

Last edited:

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Gosh....... 7's? I've got a couple of new guitars that came with 9's and I'm wondering when I'll go to the 10's. 9's just feel like rubber bands to me at critical parts of riffs. If you need easier playing strings change them more frequently. I get my strings from Strings and Beyond.

cowboy

Blues, Booze & BBQ
Strings and Beyond...(y)(y)(y)...been using them for years...

usually they will have 10/20% off sales & free shipping over $35...quick ship and good service...

just starting to try the new Darco 10's (made by Martin) strings in bulk...25 sets for $50...they probably won't replace the Rev Willy's (my fav on the LP) or the EB Slinky's (on strats and tele's) BUT...might be worth a try...especially if you have too many guitars that are begging for restringing...just saying...later.

cowboy

JestMe

Student Of The Blues
Just Strings was based in my town. I used to be able to run in and buy strings there. I was always happy with their selection, service and price. They have moved now and also changed to strictly On Line sales... Still I would vouch for them.

I use elixir and stock up when they offer 3 packs on sale. The other thing that helps my string inventory is never changing my strings. OK I do change 'em but not very often.

I went from 10s to 9s... and I broke a couple strings so jumped back up to 10s. I'm trying to lighten my touch some and then will go back to trying the 9s again.

Good luck... 7s!!! I don't see how you or Billy Gibbons can do it. Worth a shot though. Still I might not buy a 3 pack! ;-)

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Will your local store do custom orders for you? Mine is a local family-owned store and they even ship to my home (useful in these times). Failing that, I'd personally use Sweetwater. :Beer:

Elio

Student Of The Blues
I like juststrings.com they also stock bulk strings at very reasonable prices. I usually buy packs of 12 high e strings to keep around in case I break one.

matonanjin

Chubby, old guy trying to play some blues.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Not only are they Billy Gibbon's size, as I requested, the are actual billy Gibbons strings.(y):cool: As soon as I finish up here I am ordering! Thanks.

Gosh....... 7's?
Good luck... 7s!!! I don't see how you or Billy Gibbons can do it.
What I didn't realize is that 7 or, especially, 8's were the standard in early R&R days.Beck, Page, Hendix, Zappa, all used 8's. And, of course, BG used 7's. It was called the R&R size. In the video below, if you go to about 4:10 they talk about it. This is what got me to thinking about this. I went to 9's a while back to start learning bending. I'm getting better at bending but really like them yet. So this just an experiment to try 7's.

Will your local store do custom orders for you?
Maybe my local store would special order. I didn't think to ask. But they hardly have a pack of strings on the shelf. They are not receiving any shipments or weren't when I was in there a couple weeks ago.

I know some of you looked at my asking about 7's with shock. But decades ago light strings, especially 8's, were the standard. They were the "Rock and Roll Strings" according to Dave Onorato. I didn't realize this until watching this (and a little other research).

If you go to about 4:10 they discuss this.

Elio

Student Of The Blues
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Not only are they Billy Gibbon's size, as I requested, the are actual billy Gibbons strings.(y):cool: As soon as I finish up here I am ordering! Thanks.

What I didn't realize is that 7 or, especially, 8's were the standard in early R&R days.Beck, Page, Hendix, Zappa, all used 8's. And, of course, BG used 7's. It was called the R&R size. In the video below, if you go to about 4:10 they talk about it. This is what got me to thinking about this. I went to 9's a while back to start learning bending. I'm getting better at bending but really like them yet. So this just an experiment to try 7's.

Maybe my local store would special order. I didn't think to ask. But they hardly have a pack of strings on the shelf. They are not receiving any shipments or weren't when I was in there a couple weeks ago.

I know some of you looked at my asking about 7's with shock. But decades ago light strings, especially 8's, were the standard. They were the "Rock and Roll Strings" according to Dave Onorato. I didn't realize this until watching this (and a little other research).

If you go to about 4:10 they discuss this.

My one attempt to try 8's was interesting. Bends were ridiculously easy to do. Once I lightened up on them and stopped over-compensating, I could bend way faster and easier. The problem I had was that fingering chords was so incredibly sensitive to finger pressure. The slightest fluctuation on any one finger would quickly through a single note significantly sharp or flat and sound terrible. If I thought about them every time I hit a chord, I could compensate and make them sound OK. The problem is that playing something at a faster pace where I had to quickly grab a chord, I would inevitably clamp down too fast and too hard and throw notes sharp. The final straw was when I was in a lesson with my instructor and constantly going sharp on everything. I was working on something with a 1 1/2 or a 2-step bend, and I finally broke the high E. He just looked at me and said, "just go back to 9's or 10's and stick with them!"

I suppose the way to look at it is that they are probably a very good way to develop a light touch on the fretboard. I just didn't have the patience for it, but I may give it another try when I do.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I have been using 8’s for just over a year now. It took some getting used to, but I think they have helped me learn better left and right hand control and ultimately made me a better player.

I have been using the Extra Slinky sets. Unlike my experience with 9’s and 10’s, the string sizes between different brands of 7 and 8’s have more variety. The Billy G 8 sets are different from the EB’s etc. so be prepared for tension changes if you try different brands.

mountain man

Still got the Blues!
Back in the day I used the 8's on my Les Paul and thought they were great! But I found the 9's stayed in tune mo betta. The 8's just needed to get exercised in so they would stay in tune. Now I play with 10's on all of my Gibson's and when they get harder to bend that's my signal that it's time to change strings. :Beer:

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
FWIW I rock the Ernie Ball "Hybrid Slinky." Gauges run from 9-46. The idea is you have 9s for the treble strings, and effectively 10s for the bass lines, so the best of both worlds: easier bends and beefier bass.

Iheartbacon

Blues Junior
I used the hybrid 9’s with heavy bottoms for MANY MANY years before my recent switch to 8’s. I use very heavy picks and almost never break strings. In a year plus of 8’s I have broken two high E’s. One broke while playing, the other came unwound from the metal ball so I would consider it defective. I could go years without breaking any strings in the sets of hybrid 9’s.

John-G

The Long and Winding Road
I've always used 9's, not from trial & error but because that's what was on the guitar when I first bought it, and have stayed with this gauge ever since.
Never had a string break :D
Have tried a few different brands and returned to Elixir, currently Polyweb 09-42.
They are coated, so no rust and they last long, so in my case they're great value for money.