When the Riff is the Melody

Tico Rob

Blues Newbie
Don't know where else to post this question, since its kind of a theory one. Anyhoo, I was noodling around practising the Rut Buster scales linking roots and thirds and I happened to create a riff which is also the melody for the song-the lyrics fit perfectly -and takes the place of a I-IV-V eight bar blues (if I change the tempo slightly it easly becomes a 12 bar progression: that is the notes of the riff are from the chords and take the place of the chords.

So my questions are: what do you call this? Is there a special name for this type of riff? How can you riff off the primary riff to create a solo on top of it? Hope this makes sense.

Tico Rob

Blues Newbie
We would refer to “implied” chords underlying the riff.
Thanks Paleo..yes the notes are definitely chord tones. The second part of ther question is how do you solo off something which is so 'scalar'. I suppose you can create a chorus or two in which the chords are actually played rather than implied, and a solo designed to be played in a different register so as not to stomp over the chord tones....yup..lightbulb moment!!!

I love making up these types of riffs and allowing the music to dictate the lyrics so this is not the first time I have run across this problem, but it was the most extreme example because the notes and lyric syllables were perfect matches, and it didn't leave any space to stretch out.

Yeah, so I can imply the riff in the solo over the real chords....Perfect. Thanks for your imput. Sometimes it just takes the right terminology to unlock the puzzle.