Pedals/Effects What's the difference between Boost, Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz

CaptainMoto

Blues Voyager
Good overview.
I think all guitar effects can be split into two categories:
- What you need to create an iconic sound such as Jimi Hendrix or SRV
- Unlimited options to create your own special flavor

Last edited:

Many Moons

Biking+Blues=Bliss
What's the difference between Boost, Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz

Simple;-
Boost gives you a 'boosted' sound.
Overdrive makes it sound like it's being overdriven.
Distortion when applied, makes it sound all sorta distorted.
Fuzz makes it sound all fuzzy wuzzy.:D

Anything else you need to know? Just ask.:D

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Boost adds warmth (My Xotic EP Booster set just above unity gain).
Overdrive: Just at edge of breakup ... (or more, some getting clear into Distortion). Many sonic flavors available.
Distortion Nothing that stacking two or more Overdrive pedals will give you.
Fuzz useless.

Last edited:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
If you "enjoy" Tinnitus, the chances are you do not care! :confused: Your ability to tell the difference is perhaps remote. This can occur from loud noises or sounds. Little things like being at a rock concert, or B-52 carpet bombing in Vietnam can have a measurable effect on such things.

Each plug in is different, and no two match each other. For those plug ins that allow adjustable settings, good luck. You will spend your lifetime playing with controls to obtain that "perfect sound", to emulate your "hero".

For me, I enjoy having a nice amplifier, turn it on and play guitar. I do not have interest in finding that "perfect sound", and the thought that I must play with plug ins each time I decide to play a different piece of music, or emulate anyone. So you guys with all your controls and plug ins, have fun. :eek: I know I will! :D:cool:

Tom

Mickey Duane

Used To Be A Rock Star
If you "enjoy" Tinnitus, the chances are you do not care! :confused: Your ability to tell the difference is perhaps remote. This can occur from loud noises or sounds. Little things like being at a rock concert, or B-52 carpet bombing in Vietnam can have a measurable effect on such things.

Each plug in is different, and no two match each other. For those plug ins that allow adjustable settings, good luck. You will spend your lifetime playing with controls to obtain that "perfect sound", to emulate your "hero".

For me, I enjoy having a nice amplifier, turn it on and play guitar. I do not have interest in finding that "perfect sound", and the thought that I must play with plug ins each time I decide to play a different piece of music, or emulate anyone. So you guys with all your controls and plug ins, have fun. :eek: I know I will! :D:cool:

Tom

I know Tom about Tinnitus (sometimes still have it)

however my love of a loud Marshall cranked

is my cross to bear

Peace

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I have four "perfect" sounds. Three use OD pedals, one no OD pedals, all use my EP Booster.
And probably 100 other fun sounds using stacked pedals for when I get "bored".
And that's not including delay and rotary.
iyfyus.jpg.gif

Al Holloway

Devizes UK
I often wonder if the claimed always on clean boost pedal to "warm up the sound" could be achieved just by turning up the amp. After all everything sounds better louder.:confused:

cheers

Al.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I often wonder if the claimed always on clean boost pedal to "warm up the sound" could be achieved just by turning up the amp. After all everything sounds better louder.:confused:
cheers
Al.
In my case, regarding the EP Booster, NO. EP stands for Echoplex. Back in the day, big names like Page used to run an Echoplex all the time, not for echo, but for the warmth of its tube preamp. The Xotic EP Booster emulates that Echoplex circuit, and it notably warms up my sound even when just barely on ... and I do mean notably. To my knowledge there is only one other pedal that does this, the Dunlop Echoplex Preamp.

Last edited:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
In my case, regarding the EP Booster, NO. EP stands for Echoplex. Back in the day, big names like Page used to run an Echoplex all the time, not for echo, but for the warmth of its tube preamp. The Xotic EP Booster emulates that Echoplex circuit, and it notably warms up my sound even when just barely on ... and I do mean notably. To my knowledge there is only one other pedal that does this, the Dunlop Echoplex Preamp.

I see this pedal more consistently on great player's boards than any other, by far. Its just used too much not to be effective so I don't know why I don't have one yet, a situation I will be rectifying.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
I see this pedal more consistently on great player's boards than any other, by far. Its just used too much not to be effective so I don't know why I don't have one yet, a situation I will be rectifying.
Xotic has a new booster you might want to check out first ... just to add to your hand-wringing. The Super Sweet Booster. One plus for the Super Sweet is that it has four EXTERNAL DIP switches instead of the TWO INTERNAL ones of the EP Booster. And the Super Sweet can be tailored to be VERY close to the EP Booster, never quite as warm but almost.

Both can be run on 18V for increased headroom ... I run mine on 18V using an Xotic voltage doubler.
Aaargh, more hand-wringing. iyfyus.jpg.gif

The increased headroom at 18V is more noticeable if most of your playing is clean. The more dirt you crank in, the less noticeable the difference is.

Last edited:

Stinger22

Blues Junior
I have four "perfect" sounds. Three use OD pedals, one no OD pedals, all use my EP Booster.
And probably 100 other fun sounds using stacked pedals for when I get "bored".
And that's not including delay and rotary.
View attachment 13857

My EP boost when I gigged was an always on at the end of the chain, it sent the final signal to my amp. One of those turn it up until hearing it affecting the sound then back a hair. I always thought about adding one at the front end with an actual boost to the signal to hit my drives. One of those magic in a box pedals.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
My EP boost when I gigged was an always on at the end of the chain, it sent the final signal to my amp. One of those turn it up until hearing it affecting the sound then back a hair. I always thought about adding one at the front end with an actual boost to the signal to hit my drives. One of those magic in a box pedals.
That's how I use mine.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
What's the difference between Boost, Overdrive, Distortion and Fuzz?
That's what I say honey, what's the f-in difference.

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Marketing hype? :ROFLMAO: Buy one of each. Buy ten of each! Whatever is your pleasure or is that "your fantasy"? Invest your time in learning how to play the instrument, and do not worry about those little boxes, which one to use when, and wearing out your shoes stomping on them! After all, what did those little boxes ever do to you, except drive you nuts! :eek: Which one to purchase, which one to use, and when? :cool::confused:

What if you forget to bring the "right box" to a gig? What to do? :cry: I guess you have to go home. :(

Tom

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Marketing hype? :ROFLMAO: Buy one of each. Buy ten of each! Whatever is your pleasure or is that "your fantasy"? Invest your time in learning how to play the instrument, and do not worry about those little boxes, which one to use when, and wearing out your shoes stomping on them! After all, what did those little boxes ever do to you, except drive you nuts! :eek: Which one to purchase, which one to use, and when? :cool::confused:

What if you forget to bring the "right box" to a gig? What to do? :cry: I guess you have to go home. :(

Tom
Tom, I am quite happy with just my amp. It has five different flavors of foot-switchable boosts built in ... two of which are like putting an OD in front of the amp. :)