what happen to Gibson Guitars?

Discussion in 'Gear Talk' started by leftymike01, Oct 3, 2018.

1. MarkDyson

MarkDyson Blues Hound Wannabe

This. :Beer:

2. jackderby52

jackderby52 Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)

I can only speak from an acoustic standpoint as I don’t own any Gibson electrics (Yet :- )... That said, I do own a Gibson J45-TV and the attention to detail/workmanship was outstanding… Did I get lucky? Maybe… Did it need a setup? Sure… But that’s expected from my standpoint.. I always purchased a guitar knowing it’s going to need a good setup after a month or two once it’s acclimated to my house..

P.S. Martin ships their guitars with higher action knowing it’s up to individual preference…

3. MarkDyson

Indeed! It's encouraging that these "suits" are also guitar players so there's hope they "get it" in terms of both business smarts and what goes into a good guitar that people will want to buy and play.

kestrou and CVTOT like this.
  4. Rancid Rumpboogie

Rancid Rumpboogie Blues Mangler

Agreed! If a $139.00 Firefly and a $219.00 GFS XV-500 can do it, then Gibson can sure as hell do it for 3K!!! To my way of thinking, that makes the Firefly and XV-500 better guitars.

5. MikeR

MikeR Guitar Challenged
    Staff Member

Guess I'll tell my Gibson story. I bought a 2016 Les Paul Studio T a little over a year ago. They list for around $1500 and can sometimes be had on sale for around $1100. I got one from a guy who had it a couple of months and wanted to sell it fast, so I wound up getting it for $600. It's a great guitar and I love playing it, but it has a very slight offset from the fretboard to the neck on the left edge. It's almost as if the fretboard was made a tiny fraction smaller than the neck. You don't notice it unless you run your finger along the edge and it doesn't affect playability, but that's some shoddy quality control for this guitar to have left the factory. If I bought it brand new, I'd take it back. I've bought all kinds of cheap guitars and necks and not one of them had a fretboard offset. Hopefully, the new management gets the quality back to where it should be.

6. arock

arock Help! I'm a rock

Guess I have been extremely lucky. I have a 2017 LP Standard, a 2017 SG Standard, a 2017 Gary Clark Jr. limited edition SG, and a 2016 SG Special T. All of them had no quality control issues. I alternate between the LP and the SG Standard for gigs. Sometimes I will use the Gary Clark edition SG for a set if I feel in the mood for P-90's. The SG Special T has mini-humbuckers and stays in open G tuning. It gets used for two songs. The last two gigs we played, each 4 sets, I played the SG Standard. It performed flawlessly (wish I did!)My 2014 American Standard Strat now stays in open E tuning, and gets played the last song of the night, Jumpin' Jack Flash. No work has been done to any of them except I changed the P-90's to some hum-cancelling Lindy Fralin P-90's. Got rid of the circuit board in the LP and had it wired vintage style. Also replaced the pots to get rid of the coil tap, which I didn't like. But these changes were personal preference; not due to QC issues. Like I said, guess I got extremely lucky, but I use to be a Strat guy. Now Gibsons are nearly all I play and gig with. YMMV, but I have been exceptionally happy with the Gibson guitars I've purchased! Hoping with new management the QC issues that so many seem to have will be ironed out.

Terry B likes this.
  7. Terry B

Terry B Humble student of the blues

My experience is also positive with my one and only Gibson, a 2012 Les Paul Traditional, only issue I can think of is I've busted a couple of plastic jack plates. But that was my fault for stepping on the cable. :confused:

8. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

I bought a SG Faded HP, plays great, but the robot tuners got to go, going with Grover locking kidneys

MarkDyson and arock like this.
  9. tommytubetone

tommytubetone Portage, Michigan

My right shoulder used to lock up before surgery, but my kidneys have been good. :whistle::rolleyes::p:D

EJG, cowboy, MarkDyson and 2 others like this.
  10. MarkDyson

All three Gibbys I've acquired enjoyed that as the very first mod. :Beer:

11. CVTOT

CVTOT Blues Newbie

I have six:
    2013 Les Paul Traditional
    2015 Les Paul Studio
    2015 Les Paul Traditional
    2017 Les Paul Tribute
    2017 SG
    2017 Firebird HP.
    All play great and never a problem either with the guitar or the G-Force tuning system that is on all but the 2013 Traditional.

12. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

The tuning seems to work well, but changing strings is a PITA, at least compared to locking tuners, and I have no problem doing my own tuning. Maybe I should send it to you once it's off for spare parts.

13. PapaBear

PapaBear Guit Fiddlier

so which one is your go to?

14. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Southeastern Michigan

This sounds more like an indictment of buying online to me. I'm not sure I'd ever buy a guitar without playing it first unless it was really inexpensive and I knew I was going to mod it anyway. But maybe that's just me. I have one Les Paul that was a gift but I still played a bunch of them before I found the one that spoke to me before she bought it.

Eric

arock likes this.
  15. tommytubetone

tommytubetone Portage, Michigan

Wow! Locking kidneys actually exist! I need to get out more! :D

EJG, paparaptor and MarkDyson like this.
  16. Jalapeno

Jalapeno Southeastern Michigan

With locking kidneys there'd be fewer trips to the men's room at BGU live events. Assuming there is beer drinking at those events, of course.

Eric

kestrou, tommytubetone and MarkDyson like this.
  17. MikeR

MikeR Guitar Challenged
    Staff Member

The inevitable explosions would not be pretty however. :eek:

steve o likes this.
  18. MarkDyson

https://www.depend.com/en-us/

19. sloslunas

sloslunas NM Blues

Been to a few of these events, and I don't recall any beer drinking. Maybe I need get some new friends??

Steve

kestrou, jackderby52, steve o and 2 others like this.
  20. CVTOT

CVTOT Blues Newbie

2013 Traditional. Love that guitar. The two volume knobs are push coil split and the top tone knob is a push 10db boost. Also came with locking tuners.

arock likes this.