What do y'all think?

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Isn't that what Griff calls the 3 + 2 pattern?

Yepper!! AKA the extended, sliding and stair step pentatonic pattern, i.e. "extended" from one position to the next horizontally rather than playing across the neck vertically in a "Box".

Last edited:

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
And in "Soloing Without Scales" Lesson 16 - Blues Block #3.

He shows how the "block" repeats and "extends" starting on page 96.

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
I had a face teacher for about a minute a couple of years ago. Out of all the lessons I took with him, the two things that I took from him were that he introduced me to a LOT of great music that I had never heard (although he never believed me when I told him I had never heard it before) and this little scale pattern. He called it the magic scale. Turns out, although I wouldn't say it's magic, it is pretty handy.

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Well, handy as it may be, I have been totally lick-oriented, and none of the hundreds of licks I know use this, they are all "box patterns", some moving from box to box, but always staying in those box patterns, no matter who those licks came from. I agree 600% with Griff's recent email about "Improvising", so about the only use I will have for this is to develop smooth transitions from a Box 1 lick to, say, a Box 5 lick ... and practice that until it becomes another lick of its own, familiar to me and practiced. Not something to just use randomly. In other words, if you don't know where you're going you will end up somewhere else. :)

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
Well, handy as it may be, I have been totally lick-oriented, and none of the hundreds of licks I know use this, they are all "box patterns", some moving from box to box, but always staying in those box patterns, no matter who those licks came from. I agree 600% with Griff's recent email about "Improvising", so about the only use I will have for this is to develop smooth transitions from a Box 1 lick to, say, a Box 5 lick ... and practice that until it becomes another lick of its own, familiar to me and practiced. Not something to just use randomly. In other words, if you don't know where you're going you will end up somewhere else. :)

Where I see a use for this, I know a ton of licks, my weakness is transitioning and staying melodic, I think the use here for me is the transitional aspect of it, not necessarily a lick of its own

Rancid Rumpboogie

Blues Mangler
Where I see a use for this, I know a ton of licks, my weakness is transitioning and staying melodic, I think the use here for me is the transitional aspect of it, not necessarily a lick of its own
Well, you have to fit that transition in with the timing of the piece, connect one end to the exit of one lick and connect the other to your target lick. If you can do that all off the cuff, on the fly, and have it all flow with your melody, without practicing it a few times so you know what it will sound like before you play it, you're a better man than I. :) And lately when it comes to my guitar playing, I'm not feeling very manly, but more or less wimply. :confused:

Last edited: