What can you do with a Spark pos grid amp and how does that change practice routine?

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
OK I am on the fence here. Lots of people getting these now. The other thread was getting long so ( if people want to ) could we get some posts here telling us on the fence people why we need one exactly please?

What can you do now practicing that is easier with this amp?

On a day by day basis how is it making your practicing ( or recording ? ) guitar journey better?

How useful and useable is it for this thing to "follow along with your playing" can anyone give an example or two about that?

Thanks John

Stinger22

Blues Junior
I can get a sweet spot tone at a lower volume. Easier to start up than the studio. Yes I have been practicing more especially following the chords on the backing track jams, it suggest scales to use and experiment with. You can create your own song list in Spotify and then bring them in. The first time you play them it will analyze and create a tab. It's pretty good, will give you the basic chords not so much extensions. The Smart Jam thing is not working yet for me, neither of the drummers creates anything I particular want to jam to but I haven't worked with it much the other jams are so good. Talk is they will be adding more drummers for more styles. You can use it with other apps on your phone or tablet, for instance if you are watching Griffs latest it will play through the Spark while you play.

And it sounds AMAZING for it's size and looks really good sitting on my home entertainment center.

GO FOR IT!!!

Disclaimer I do not work for Positive Grid and bitch'd like hell about the delivery but a happy camper now!

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
Another vote for go for it... It's only 224 bucks and life is getting shorter by the minute!

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
One use case that I messed around with some this morning (supposed to be working) is in the Smart Jam section. Called up the Blues category, was met with a slew of different types of blues (basic 12 bar, 12 bar with quick change, minor blues, et cetera). Pick a template, click the settings icon to transpose to the desired key, tap tempo to taste, and there is a drummer and bassist ready to jam along with. Took seconds to set up, and I don't need to add something like the TRIO+ pedal to get that feature. No looper, nor as many power-user settings as with the TRIO+, but effective and tons easier to set up and use.

Grateful_Ed

Student Of The Blues
I'm in the Yamaha camp as well. It doesn't do a great deal of what the Sparky thing does, but I have it set up to play whatever is on the 'puter, Griff's lessons, backing tracks, or whatever I practice to and my guitar both through headphones. The lesson or track is in one ear, the guitar is in the other, both with their own volume pot. Without the computer it doesn't do anything but amplify, unlike the Spark.
I also have a Fender G-dec that has a usb port for inputing backing tracks, or music and can add my guitar to that. It has it's own tracks that are tweakable as well. Both work great sans headphones as well with plenty of volume for bedroom practice or (in the case of the Yamaha) campfire disturbances.
Both are antique compared to the tech of the Spark, but hey, they're paid for and do everything I need. As far as want goes, I want another guitar. :D

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
In case anyone is interested, there are on line manuals for the Spark. They give some information. I am trying to find out whatever I can about this unit. Here is what I have found thus far:

User Manual:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038311791-Spark-Amp-User-Manual

How to pair Spark Amp with Your Android Device via Bluetooth?

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en...k-Amp-with-Your-Android-Device-via-Bluetooth-

I guess that I will also have to purchase a tablet or cell phone that will enable me to use all the features. :eek: Then again, getting a Line 6 Modeling Amp or Cube, might give me what I want. It is enjoyable to read these posts, and whatever I can find on this topic. The basic Spark may be fine for what I need. I really do not have an interest in chasing the ideal sound for whatever reason. Plug and play is so much more to my liking. :):cool::Beer:

Tom

JohnHurley

Rock and Roll
I guess that I will also have to purchase a tablet or cell phone that will enable me to use all the features. :eek: Then again, getting a Line 6 Modeling Amp or Cube, might give me what I want. It is enjoyable to read these posts, and whatever I can find on this topic. The basic Spark may be fine for what I need. I really do not have an interest in chasing the ideal sound for whatever reason. Plug and play is so much more to my liking. :):cool::Beer:

Tom

Any semi current ipad should work plus you can buy one for not a lot. Easier on old eyes than iphone ..,

jackderby52

Prehistoric blues knob (not newbie)
In case anyone is interested, there are on line manuals for the Spark. They give some information. I am trying to find out whatever I can about this unit. Here is what I have found thus far:

User Manual:

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038311791-Spark-Amp-User-Manual

https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en...k-Amp-with-Your-Android-Device-via-Bluetooth-

Tom

Tom, I use my ipad more than anything else I have in the house... Other than for typing long emails and such, they are great for browsing, reading, researching, etc... For example;

IMG_0355.jpg

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Any semi current ipad should work plus you can buy one for not a lot. Easier on old eyes than iphone ..,
And while we're on the topic of iPads, I just want to put in my good word for Apple. I've used the iPad and GarageBand for everything BGU related in the past 6 years. It can tune, loop, record, model amps and pedals. I guess it's a toy compared to most of the pro stuff, but for an old Blues student, not ready to produce a CD, it's a fantastic tool!

Stinger22

Blues Junior

User Manual:

Tom

You are PC only? No smartphone even? There is certainly quite a bit for Android and OS apps out there musically that I use mine quite a bit. Tabs, backing tracks, laying in bed in the morning drinking my wake-up coffee watching Griffs latest :cool: Any cheap tablet is enough to run the Spark App.