Walking and chewing gum...

GuitmanBlues

Blues Newbie
I am just starting with BGU 2.0 as an intermediate player to advance my playing and get a better handle on timing. The chords in lesson 1-1 & 1-2 I have under my fingers and I can play both at full tempo. My problem is counting and playing at the same time. Trying to count and play is throwing me off where if I just listen and play I can stay on time without a problem. What did you guys who have been through this do to overcome the problem? I was thinking that just listening to the examples several times while going right hand air guitar and just counting may help. Looks like I have to learn to walk and chew gum all over again. The timing thing is important to me and I don't want to overlook anything before I move on to the next lesson. Any advice is much appreciated.

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
Personally, I think you have to find the answer through experience. What approach works for you? There is more than one way to skin a cat.

1. Listen, and play along.

2. Tap your foot.

3. Count out loud.

4. Count to yourself.

5. Read the music as you play. Reading the notation works better than reading Tab.

6. Feel the music!

It takes a bit of experience to find what works best for you.

I play many different types of music. Classical, flamenco (for dancers- you had better know your timing and accents!) and many more. I do not know how much this topic is due to genes. I have many musicians in my family, on both sides, going back many generations. It may have also helped that I started piano when I was six, and guitar when I was ten. For me it comes from inside. But you must truly understand the structure of what you are paying, and "feel the music".

Tom

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
I had been playing (strumming chords & playing songs/singing) for nearly 50 years when I started BGU, so I was in the "Listen to what he's doing and play along" camp.
That said, when soloing, there are times when you really need to be able to count so that you know where within a measure s certain note is supposed to be struck. When I hit one of these, I slow my playing (slow the track down) until I can count and play the difficult part. Once I understand where the note is to be played, I dispense with counting.
If you CAN, I'd strongly recommend following Griff's suggestion and learn to count.
Don't forget that counting doesn't have to be "in time". there can be gaps in your count and different parts can move a different tempos as long as you place the not on the right part of the beat.
Here's how I've described it before:
(Bold is when you should play a note. dots are time passing)

1e...&a ..... 2e&u .............3....e........&u ....4e...&u
As I hope you can see, the time between striking a note varies and is not important for this exercise. but if a note is to be struck on the "e" of the third beat, and you strike it at that time, all is good with the world.
Over time the dots between beats will shrink and then go completely away and you will get: 1e&a 2e&u 3e&u 4e&u.

I hope this helps.

BTW< I'm going to move this to the questions area.

GuitmanBlues

Blues Newbie
Personally, I think you have to find the answer through experience. What approach works for you? There is more than one way to skin a cat.

1. Listen, and play along.

2. Tap your foot.

3. Count out loud.

4. Count to yourself.

5. Read the music as you play. Reading the notation works better than reading Tab.

6. Feel the music!

It takes a bit of experience to find what works best for you.

I play many different types of music. Classical, flamenco (for dancers- you had better know your timing and accents!) and many more. I do not know how much this topic is due to genes. I have many musicians in my family, on both sides, going back many generations. It may have also helped that I started piano when I was six, and guitar when I was ten. For me it comes from inside. But you must truly understand the structure of what you are paying, and "feel the music".

Tom
Thanks SVT. I can do 1, 2 & 6 at tempo with no problem. I, like most people, get tripped up when I open my mouth. :LOL:

Silicon Valley Tom

It makes me happpy to play The Blues!
I know I mentioned this before, but a member of our band back in the mid 1960's, was named John. He had no problem keeping time, and played a great guitar. However, he tapped his left foot while playing. What was truly annoying was that he tapped out of time, and with no recurring rhythm. :cool::confused: It was an extremely spastic motion. We set John at our extreme left, which solved the problem. :)

Tom

GuitmanBlues

Blues Newbie
I had been playing (strumming chords & playing songs/singing) for nearly 50 years when I started BGU, so I was in the "Listen to what he's doing and play along" camp.
That said, when soloing, there are times when you really need to be able to count so that you know where within a measure s certain note is supposed to be struck. When I hit one of these, I slow my playing (slow the track down) until I can count and play the difficult part. Once I understand where the note is to be played, I dispense with counting.
If you CAN, I'd strongly recommend following Griff's suggestion and learn to count.
Don't forget that counting doesn't have to be "in time". there can be gaps in your count and different parts can move a different tempos as long as you place the not on the right part of the beat.
Here's how I've described it before:
(Bold is when you should play a note. dots are time passing)

1e...&a ..... 2e&u .............3....e........&u ....4e...&u
As I hope you can see, the time between striking a note varies and is not important for this exercise. but if a note is to be struck on the "e" of the third beat, and you strike it at that time, all is good with the world.
Over time the dots between beats will shrink and then go completely away and you will get: 1e&a 2e&u 3e&u 4e&u.

I hope this helps.

BTW< I'm going to move this to the questions area.
That does help and thank you! My thing is I want to follow Griff's suggestion on counting and nail it early on in the BGU rhythm portion so when I do move into the more advanced portion of the lessons timing and counting is more second nature. BTW, sorry about the misplaced post. I'll go take a look at your posting rules.

Last edited:

GuitmanBlues

Blues Newbie
I know I mentioned this before, but a member of our band back in the mid 1960's, was named John. He had no problem keeping time, and played a great guitar. However, he tapped his left foot while playing. What was truly annoying was that he tapped out of time, and with no recurring rhythm. :cool::confused: It was an extremely spastic motion. We set John at our extreme left, which solved the problem. :)

Tom
Poor John. I tap like I clap, on the two and the four.

MikeS

Student Of The Blues
Staff member
That does help and thank you! My thing is I want to follow Griff's suggestion on counting and nail it early on in the BGU rhythm portion so when I do move into the more advanced portion of the lessons timing and counting is more second nature. BTW, sorry about the misplaced post. I'll go take a look at your posting rules.
not a big deal. It''s just more likely to be seen there.