Studio One VSTs with Studio One

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
It seems there are some compelling reasons for using Studio One 5 (free version), however, it appears that it does not include support for 3rd party VST's, i.e. it is limited to the ones provided.
Is this correct?
Kind of a big (negative) deal for me if it is.
I hope I'm missing something.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
It seems there are some compelling reasons for using Studio One 5 (free version), however, it appears that it does not include support for 3rd party VST's, i.e. it is limited to the ones provided.
Is this correct?
Kind of a big (negative) deal for me if it is.
I hope I'm missing something.
That is correct. Third party plug-ins are supported in the version 5 Artist and Pro and not supported in Prime.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
Thanks Papa - too bad. I loaded up Prime and played with it a bit. I like the very intuitive interface - it seems quite easy to use, so I may use it for some casual stuff, but the lack of VST support sucks. I totally appreciate that they can't give everything away for free, unlike the government.
Why doesn't Congress legislate free, full featured DAWs?? ;) And guitars? And amps? And.....airplanes maybe?? :D
On a more serious note, I got kicked out of my very large downstairs living room space, and am downsizing to a MUCH smaller workroom space, shared with a multitude of other hobbies.
Everything is having to be compacted and rethought out and reconfigured. In the process, I have decided to become almost completely computer centric for my music activities. Looks like almost everything will live inside and operate from the DAW. It should be interesting, and hopefully inspire me to get back to doing more recording of my abundant musical mistakes. :confused:

CaptOblivious

Blues Junior
Thanks Papa - too bad. I loaded up Prime and played with it a bit. I like the very intuitive interface - it seems quite easy to use, so I may use it for some casual stuff, but the lack of VST support sucks. I totally appreciate that they can't give everything away for free, unlike the government.
Why doesn't Congress legislate free, full featured DAWs?? ;) And guitars? And amps? And.....airplanes maybe?? :D
On a more serious note, I got kicked out of my very large downstairs living room space, and am downsizing to a MUCH smaller workroom space, shared with a multitude of other hobbies.
Everything is having to be compacted and rethought out and reconfigured. In the process, I have decided to become almost completely computer centric for my music activities. Looks like almost everything will live inside and operate from the DAW. It should be interesting, and hopefully inspire me to get back to doing more recording of my abundant musical mistakes. :confused:

Check out Reaper for a cheap $60 alternative or Reaper allows you an open-ended trial period without having to purchase a license (hence the "free" aspect). Full VST support.

There are some other features that make Reaper unique, such as a highly customizable user interface, but with its latest release, it's come incredibly close in features to being as much of a competitor as the "big boys" on the market.

PapaRaptor's tutorials are incredibly useful for a noob like me, really appreciate the effort that goes into making them. I have found everything he has detailed in Studio one I have been able to replicate in Reaper. Reaper also has a large user group with about a gazillion how to videos on the web.

OG_Blues

Guitar Geezer
CaptOblivious, Yes, I have been using Reaper for a while now and like it.
I took a look at S1 Prime because of Papa's recommendations and the support base on this forum, but looks like I will stick with Reaper for most things.

While not really a DAW, my video editor of choice for the video production work I do, (Davinci Resolve) also contains a really useful and powerful audio tool/editor called Fairlight. Davinci Resolve is an unbelievably rich, full featured video production tool that is completely free. Just amazing.
A fairly big learning curve due to the complexity of its capabilities - I am barely scratching the surface of what it can do.

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
(Davinci Resolve) also contains a really useful and powerful audio tool/editor called Fairlight. .

Well, well, does anybody remember the Fairlight CMI (Computer Musical Instrument, I think)? I think it pre-dated the MOOG by a few months.