Unofficial May Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Some of you know I play bass. As a result, I've gathered a few backing tracks for practice that are only drums.

To work on my timing, I have started playing along with some of these tracks doing either rhythm guitar, lead guitar or a combination. The exercise is to keep my count accurate and "stay within the lines" of a 12 bar shuffle.

So here is the throwdown. This backing track is 144 measures or exactly 12 times through a 12 bar progression. It's around 120 beats per minute in a shuffle beat.

You can attack this at any level you want. You can play it in any key you want. It can be a straight shuffle or a quick change. But it must be a 12 bar progression or it won't fit with the drum track.

First Level : Do 48 or more bars of rhythm guitar. If you're adventurous, play it all the way through all 12 rounds of the progression and see if you can keep your timing intact.

Second Level: Do at least 48 bars of a combination of rhythm and lead. Do the entire 12 rounds if you dare.

Third Level: For the really brave. Do a solo lasting the full 144 bars. No rhythm guitar, no bass. It doesn't have to be spectacular. You just have to stay in time and not forget where you are in the 12 bar progression. The drums give a few clues about some of the changes, so if you get lost, you'll have to pay very close attention to subtle cues in the drum track.

If you like, I'll add a bass line to anyone who wants it, after you have uploaded your recording.

Unofficial May Challenge Drum Track

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
Cool! Is that one of your sons beating skins or did you grab this off the web? ;)

Kevin
It's from the web. My son's drums sit unused in the living room. It's probably been a year since he last came over and played.

PapaBear

Guit Fiddlier
Well the A/C season has hit early and hard in Georgia, and with the wedding coming up I can't say no to work, so as fun as this sounds I may have to hold off until fall, but I am nicking the track

Steve.W

Blues Newbie
Thanks Lloyd. I can't open the link though. I get a message to say Safari can't find the server "paparaptor.rocks"

Annie

On my way
Me too I see this:
This site can’t be reached
paparaptor.rocks’s server DNS address could not be found.

DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN

Dr. Ron

Nuthin’ But The Blues!
Sounds interesting. I downloaded the link. I'll give it a try. I never thought about dedicating some serious time to
just playing over a drum track. Thanks Lloyd.

sdbrit68

Student Of The Blues
okay, I am gonna try .....end of month deadline ?

oh, do we want to post results here, or should we have another thread ?

PapaRaptor

Father Vyvian O'Blivion
Staff member
okay, I am gonna try .....end of month deadline ?

oh, do we want to post results here, or should we have another thread ?

Certainly the end of the month is fine. However, your review will be from within the forum. Griff hasn't signed up to critique these and I certainly don't consider myself qualified to provide expert insight!
I'll make another thread called Unofficial May Challenge Recordings

jmin

Student Of The Blues
Hey, Coldshot! I see you're interested in the "Challenges." I believe they started at the end of last year. Griff came up with a teaching concept where he would "challenge" us to work on a guitar technique (I.e. - speed, rhythm, etc). He would offer it through "BGU Labs" - where the students would submit recordings of his challenge and he would provide individual feedback. He hasn't done one for a few months (very busy), but this challenge of paparaptors (one of Griff's top notch moderators) is where he put an informal challenge together...but not exactly the same as Griff's challenge. Confuse you enough?
If you want a similar challenge experience, you may want to check out the VJR (virtual jam room) at the bottom of the forum. It's a similar record-and-post type of deal. The members are great and will offer supportive feedback. Have fun!

Ps - Anyone ever tell you you look like SRV?!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.