Amps Two more things I love about my #1 amp

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
I got a great deal on a Quilter MicroPro Mach 2 amp head a couple of years ago from @cowboy, and I added a Quilter brand HD 12" cab. The combination has pleased me greatly.

Lately I've been (slowly) working on Griff's Soloing Without Scales course, and using some of his backing tracks (like the 5x5 set) as my practice tracks. In that context, two features of the Mach 2 have stood out for me:

1. There is a second input, designated MIC-LINE, that's what I'd normally use for a microphone to handle my vocals. It is also, I have learned, perfect for running a cable into from the headphones jack of my laptop, giving me perfect backing tracks for noodling over (playing the tracks via Song Surgeon on my laptop). Who needs an "aux input" jack, anyway?

2. The amp has a "Boost" feature which, at first blush, might be "so what?" Turns out two of the settings are actually a Tube Screamer and a Big Muff Fuzz emulator. Dial in the "Cream" setting (the TS one) and run the boost level up to about 1 O'clock and, when combined with the gain and EQ dials on the main part of the amp, I'm getting a nice tone from my PRS that really works for me—and with minimal effort and no pedals needed.

This stuff is fun! :Beer:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
I use a JBL Charge4 speaker that connects to any of my devices with Bluetooth to supply my audio for practicing when I'm not in my music room. With my Quilters, it's a pretty portable set up.

MarkDyson

Blues Hound Wannabe
Sweet,
I was an early Quilter fan but, don't have one yet......still lov'n my tubes.
Glad it's working for you.
(y)

It was the Mini Reverb head that first got me interested in Quilters. I really liked the just-enough of the feature set making it easy to dial in a good sound. I had the Block Dock 10" speaker cab for it but I never liked how "boxy" that cab sounded. It was a lot better plugged into the Carvin 12" cab I rehabilitated and put a Swamp Thing speaker into. Then I ran across the deal from Cowboy on the Mach 2 head and GAS grabbed me hard. Haven't looked back since, and sold off the Mini and 10" cab (and got a fair bit of coin for them, those things hold their value).

I'm keeping my Nace, but it's lovingly covered and stored with my "unused but keeper" gear. I like my stuff basic and simple, but the added features I cite above are foundational rather than clutter to me so I'm a fan. :Beer:

BraylonJennings

It's all blues
If I was playing out and a bit younger, I'd probably be dragging around my Twin, a Bassman, or something like that. When I got Studio One, I was primarily recording through amp sims, much easier and quieter. I get maybe 90% of a top tube amp quality, and don't blast my family out of the house and it's dead simple and maintenance free. The Quilters are a great way to find your tone and portable enough to haul to open mics or parties or on vacation. A Cub and a SBUK and I've got a half dozen amps set up, mic'd, and ready to go. Hard to beat, imo.