tuning up a fifth or down a fourth

ChrisGSP

Blues Journeyman
Thanks for this!! I've always said that the Cello Suites are my #1 fave pieces of music ever. Years and years ago I actually took a few lessons in the classical style because I heard Christopher Parkening play a couple of selections from the Cello Suites before I even knew what the Cello Suites were. I bet they sound really good on a baritone. I'm off to see if I can find this recording now. :Beer:

I'm with you about the Cello Suites - I think I've got 6 different versions (I don't have Casals :( ), and they are fascinating.

BTW, the Grigoryan recording is in TWO Volumes - First Volume is Suites 1-3, Second Volume is Suites 4-6. So you need to buy two separate CDs. They were actually recorded about a year apart, so I guess that's why it's two volumes.

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Rather than trying to edit myself, above, I'll just add this -
Possibly an easier way to explain the "rule of 9" is that an Octave is a second plus a seventh (C, D + D, E, F, G, A, B, C), or a third plus a sixth, or a fourth plus a fifth, etc.

Baritone guitar is interesting - tuned a 5th below "standard" guitar, the second string is F# - get your reading chops around that!!

The Australian classical guitarist Slava Grigoryan recorded the six Bach Cello Suites a couple of years ago, on Baritone Guitar. But because of the many passages of extremely high notes used in the 6th suite, in D Major, he had to play it on standard guitar.
Are you sure you mean a 5th below? So from low to high, A D G C E A. I'm not getting the second string F#.

If it's actually a 4th below, then B E A D F# B.

TwoNotesSolo

Student Of The Blues
Dayum! How complicated can you make this?
I saw the title and came in to say "it's like playing a baritone, it's easy". I'm sure Paleo answers it properly, I just didn't understand a word of it :) and it don't want to try to, or it might confused me from "it's easy stance".

Anyone ever worry which harmonica to play when playing crossharp? Same shenanigans

Paleo

Student Of The Blues
Dayum! How complicated can you make this? I saw the title and came in to say "it's like playing a baritone, it's easy".

So @snarf starts off by asking a question about playing/tuning a baritone and the response is "it's like playing a baritone".

Can't argue with that kind of logic.:)

The first thing he says is "OK theory folks" which leads me to believe he wants to talk some theory. I'm always happy to oblige.

I'm sure Paleo answers it properly, I just didn't understand a word of it :) and it don't want to try to

When I think back to the first discussion I ever entered into regarding why someone should learn theory and why some folks are so resistant to it, I find it interesting "to note" who started that discussion.:)

http://bluesguitarunleashed.com/for...-should-learn-music-theory.18559/#post-256358

Just a quick quote from the intro:

"It was a surprise to me when I started playing guitar that there is so much resistance and hostility towards music theory"o_O

Anyone ever worry which harmonica to play when playing crossharp?

Well yeah. The key you're playing cross harp in depends on the key the harmonica is in.o_O

Last edited:

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
Anyone ever worry which harmonica to play when playing crossharp? Same shenanigans
Back in the 90s I decided I wanted to learn some crossharp playing. The guy I knew that was going to give me some pointers explained that whole thing about how you weren't actually playing in the key that was printed on the harmonica. I think I still have a harmonica sitting around somewhere, but haven't really touched it since then. Actually, it may be out in the car. As I think about it, there were a couple of months a few years ago where I kept it there so I could play it while I was sitting in traffic every day.

snarf

making guitars wish they were still trees
The first thing he says is "OK theory folks" which leads me to believe he wants to talk some theory. I'm always happy to oblige.
And I'm glad you did. I'm typically very much a hands-on type of person. The first C I got in school was in high school biology. My folks asked me what happened, and I told them it's because I couldn't see how that class was relevant to me. Typically, if I can't see a practical application, I'm not interested, and the theoretical side of things almost always falls into that category for me.

Music theory, however, intrigues me, but it seems it often takes me a lot longer to understand it than I think it should. So I try to take it in little bites From this thread, I've learned about the Rule of 9/Rule of 12. I don't remember having come across that concept before, and that makes sense to me. I've always said that one of the reasons that I like music is because it's basically math just using letters.

Jalapeno

Student Of The Blues
it's basically math just using letters
and sound! :)

It's fun when you see that the circle of fifths and the color wheel that artists use are very similar. It's all explained in the math eventually. If you're open to it.

Eric

david moon

Attempting the Blues
Probably don't want to get into why some horns and woodwinds are "Bb" or "Eb" instruments. :unsure:

I have a short scale travel guitar that I tune up a 4th to A D G C E A. Or maybe it was up a minor 3rd to G C F Bb D G. Either way the chord fingerings remain the same, you just have to transpose.